Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

No 12 volt or hvac

Yesterday I took delivery of a NEW to ME 2011 Salem 36 bhbs.
I bought it used from a dealer that had it on consignment. On Saturday I picked it up and took it to the lake to set up. My wife made the comment that the lights did not seem bright enough but I was busy and did not think anything about it.
Well this morning we went back to finish cleaning and had no ceiling lights or HVAC ! All the wall outlets work but no 12 volt lights. I had a new battery installed when I bought it and when I checked it, it was dead. When I hooked up my battery jump box the light work and so does the HVAC.
I checked all the fuses and breakers and everything is good. Also checked the 50 amp plug outside with a meter and it is good.
I am quessing that the converter is the issue but have read that there maybe an inline fuse.
Any and all ideas are needed.

Thanks
Bamamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Check for a battery disconnect switch, If you have one, make sure it is on. There should be a large fuse on the convertor check that as well.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamax View Post
Yesterday I took delivery of a NEW to ME 2011 Salem 36 bhbs.
I bought it used from a dealer that had it on consignment. On Saturday I picked it up and took it to the lake to set up. My wife made the comment that the lights did not seem bright enough but I was busy and did not think anything about it.
Well this morning we went back to finish cleaning and had no ceiling lights or HVAC ! All the wall outlets work but no 12 volt lights. I had a new battery installed when I bought it and when I checked it, it was dead. When I hooked up my battery jump box the light work and so does the HVAC.
I checked all the fuses and breakers and everything is good. Also checked the 50 amp plug outside with a meter and it is good.
I am quessing that the converter is the issue but have read that there maybe an inline fuse.
Any and all ideas are needed.

Thanks
Another common occurrence in battery replacement, is to hook the wires up backwards (even for an instance).....thus instantly blowing the reverse polarity fuses to the converter. This happens a lot. The reason for the reverse polarity fuses is to keep from damaging the converter.

I would advise looking up your converter model and seeing if the reverse polarity fuse(s) are on the converter or on the control panel.

If the converter isn't working (or you have no DC power once the battery is drained), then you also won't have AC/Furnace since the thermostat is 12 volt DC to control these. The converter is also what provides 12 volt power, as well as recharges your battery when hooked to 120 volt shore power.

Page 3 of the following link may help explain it better:

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...atorManual.pdf

If they are on the main panel as in the pic below, it will probably be the two bigger amp fuses (40 amp) to the left of the others, as shown in the pic (which you can read above the fuse that states it's a reverse polarity)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

If you connected the jump box to the battery terminals and the lights worked then the battery disconnect is not disconnected. Plug your unit into shore power and check for 13+ volts at the battery terminals. If the 40 amp fuses are ok and no voltage at the battery terminals then your converter is no good.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

My converter is not the same as the one pictured. My has the breakers (about 10 including 1 double 50 am MAIN) across the top and a row of 12volt fuses in a vertical line on the left. It DOES NOT have the 40 amp fuses shown here. Could the 40 amps be somewhere else?

Boon-- I had already tested the battery as you said and got a reading of like .5 on the battery with the power connected and then after I left the jump box on for a few mins I got a reading of about 10 volts.

Somewhere else I read that there is a inline fuse in from the battery on the frame that may need to be reset.
I will check all of this in the next few days...

Thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
My converter is not the same as the one pictured. My has the breakers (about 10 including 1 double 50 am MAIN) across the top and a row of 12volt fuses in a vertical line on the left. It DOES NOT have the 40 amp fuses shown here. Could the 40 amps be somewhere else?
Some may be on the converter itself. The pic is not of the converter. And the reverse polarity fuses may not just 40 amp, as it will depend on the make/model of your particular converter.

Are there air louvers/holes underneath or beside the electrical panel? The converter is most likely behind them, which will require you to remove the faceplate.

A pic would sure help before you go to this trouble.

Here is another pic of a different panel and the reverse polarity fuses are on bottom right as you can read from the label on the panel door.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

I do not "think" mine has the air vents on it.
BUT I am not really sure since I have only had it 2 days now.
I will look at it (and take pic) tomorrow.
IF it does not have the air vents any idea where it would be located?
My wife did look under the trailer and said that there IS a larger box(about 6"x6") mounted to the frame behind and under the camper aft of the battery with the power cables going into and out of it.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
Site Team

OK, we probably need to table the troubleshooting tips to keep from confusing the issue, till you post some pics. Most likely, it will also tell what converter(s) make/model you have inside the power distribution box...as you can read it in both pics posted.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

I took pics tonight and I looked for the inline fuse. No luck on an inline fuse or a reset switch. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423619717.911643.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	69463Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423619747.454132.jpg
Views:	6193
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	69464Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423619777.450940.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	69465Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423619793.842034.jpg
Views:	1829
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	69466
I have more pics I can add if needed.
So PLEASE tell me what I missed.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #10

Though not familiar with your trailer, looking at that panel, your converter is going to be separate and mounted elsewhere in the trailer

Some units, like pictured above with the vents, have the converter built into the fuse/breaker/power distribution panel.

might be easiest to chase the wiring from your battery back to find the converter, should be a fairly heavy gauge wire depending on the converter (6gauge or larger). the converter itself would have its own fuse(s) for the 12v side. i see the breaker for the 120v side on your distribution panel is on, but double check that the converter is receiving power and its not just a faulty breaker.

Another fun thought, does the A/C run (when you boost power to the battery so they HVAC controls have power) and the GFI plugs have power? as youve likely found out already, or already know, its a split-leg system, if your plugged into a 120v plug, not a 240v plug (or a FUBAR 240v plug), its possible to only power 1 leg of the panel (if your adapters or cord are FUBAR) and everything on the left side of the panel can have power while the right hand side has nothing.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #11

HVAC does work on the the jump box. All plugs work.
I did trace the wiring from the battery all the way to the back and saw NO convert or any other box.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
Site Team

OK, we're cooking now. According to the WFCO distribution panel you have, it should be used with the WFCO 9800 series converters. They all basically look and operate the same, just have different DC amp ratings. I chose the 65 amp one for the example.

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/Image...rDocs/14-3.pdf

The reverse polarity fuses are on the front/face of the converter....as you can see in the link above.

Just have to find the converter(s) placement now. They can also be in your pass thru storage compartment, or behind a panel accessed from the pass thru storage.

Using the junction box (pic #3 that you posted) as a starting point, see if you can back trace the wiring as to where it goes up into your RV....and see if it's near the pass thru storage.

Of course, if you have an enclosed underbelly, this may be harder to attempt/see.

Here's an example of one behind a panel in the pass thru:

Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #13

yea, thats the worst part, it could be anywhere LOL

Mine is buried behind the panel in the pass-through also. seems like a popular place to hide everything haha
Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #14

There is no pass through. There is a large compartment under the bed with an outside hatch. Did not see anything there. On the back wall where the fuse box is there is also a closet with a compartment with outside only access from the rear of the unit. Saw nothing in there. There is also a compartment under the front bunk. Once again nothing visible there.
I did follow the wire just not all the way. I will do that in the next day or do.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #15

possibly easier to chase the 120v wire from the converter breaker in the distribution panel?

unfortunately, short of any of us owning the exact camper and having already located the converter we cant be of much help on locating it.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
Site Team

The convertor needs ventilation so I would look in areas that may have some air circulation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
On the back wall where the fuse box is there is also a closet with a compartment with outside only access from the rear of the unit.
I would check this again, to see if there is a dummy panel maybe in the corner of the closet directly behind the distribution panel, or in that compartment.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #18

Use a bright flashlight and look for corner screws in all compartments that access from the outside,the screws blend in good if it's carpeted.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #19

My converter is located behind the circuit breaker panel. Just a few screws holding the panel in. Be sure and unplug the shore power first.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423693181.435368.jpg
Views:	1711
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	69506
I found it !
In the closet !
No screws to give it away !
I just pried the piece up and there it was.
One blown fuse later and all is good !
Many thanks to everyone and a really big THANKS to Aaron at Forest River for telling me right where to find it also !

Tags
12 volt