Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

No 12 Volt Power

Hi, We just purchased a new to us 2010 Rockwood 2604 travel trailer. I pulled it home, hooked up to AC power and everything seems to work fine. My problem is with the AC disconnected I don't have any 12 volt power in the trailer. I turned on the switch on the trailer tongue near the battery. A voltage check shows 12.7 volts DC at the battery and the switch seems to function properly. The owners manual indicates the switch from AC to DC power is automatic through the inverter. I also checked the circuit breakers and fuses in the converter-O.K. Any ideas?
johng342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng342 View Post
Hi, We just purchased a new to us 2010 Rockwood 2604 travel trailer. I pulled it home, hooked up to AC power and everything seems to work fine. My problem is with the AC disconnected I don't have any 12 volt power in the trailer. I turned on the switch on the trailer tongue near the battery. A voltage check shows 12.7 volts DC at the battery and the switch seems to function properly. The owners manual indicates the switch from AC to DC power is automatic through the inverter. I also checked the circuit breakers and fuses in the converter-O.K. Any ideas?
Check for 12vdc @ your fuse box if you have it at both sides of the switch by the battery, seem like you'd have it if your switch is closed
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Check for a blown 30A in-line fuse near the battery/tongue.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There's most likely a resetable circuit breaker 12 to 18 inches from the battery.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
There's most likely a resetable circuit breaker 12 to 18 inches from the battery.
this usually happens when the battery is installed backwards.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

this usually happens when the battery is installed backwards.
As we've seen before.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

Still Having a Problem

Thanks for the responses. I thought I had the problem solved this morning. I found the connections on the circuit breaker under the front of the trailer were very corroded. I cleaned all the connections and my 12 volt power inside the trailer was working Then plugged into shore power and spent the day cleaning the trailer and testing appliances, etc. I disconnected shore power this evening and found the 12 volt power inside the trailer was again not working. I tested the 12 volt disconnect switch on the tongue near the battery. Mine looks like a large key. I found there was continuity across both legs of the switch with the switch turned off or on. I connected both wires together at the switch (bypassing the switch) and the 12 volt power was back up. My first thought was the switch must be bad, but I'm not sure. One question I have is when you are hooked up to shore power the battery is supposed to pick up a charge from the inverter- right? If you have the battery switch turned off as I did today, how does the charging current feeding back to the battery occur? Thanks.
johng342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

2012 High Wall 277 Popup: Purchased this camper used and the previous owner obviously was clueless about maintenance. I was following this thread to see why my interior 12V lights and fan wouldn't work except when I was hooked up to 110V. Turns out the inline 25 Amp fuse outside near the battery was badly corroded and one of the 20 Amp fuses in the fuse panel was blown. Replaced them both and I'm all good! Thanks for the fuse location tips.
AlmoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt