Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

No 120 AC voltage to outlets and ceiling fan(SOLVED!)

I have 2012 300X12 that is about 5 months old. Seems like all the the 120 volt outlets in the unit are not working. I have voltage to the W/D outlet, the AC unit and refridgerator. All 12 volt lighting is working but not 120 except stuff on it's own circuit. Anyone have any ideas what I can look for ???
Jeff n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Team

should be the GFI outlet, usually in the bathroom. reset that and the others should work.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
should be the GFI outlet, usually in the bathroom. reset that and the others should work.

Hi Bikendan,
That was the first thing I thought of while I was metering the outlets. When I hit the test button it popped the GFI and it will not reset. I suspect this is because there is no power going to the circuit but I'm not sure if they are designed to work that way. If they are not then I would say I have a bad GFI...
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff n. View Post
Hi Bikendan,
That was the first thing I thought of while I was metering the outlets. When I hit the test button it popped the GFI and it will not reset. I suspect this is because there is no power going to the circuit but I'm not sure if they are designed to work that way. If they are not then I would say I have a bad GFI...
If the GFI will not reset, then there is no power going to it or it is bad. Check the 110/120 breaker for the plugs and see if there is a main breaker. It could also be loose wires at the panel or in the back of the GFI. If the GFI is making clicking sound when you are trying to reset it, then it is bad and needs to be changed. I suspect a bad GFI or loose wire because your tester popped it.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top B View Post
If the GFI will not reset, then there is no power going to it or it is bad. Check the 110/120 breaker for the plugs and see if there is a main breaker. It could also be loose wires at the panel or in the back of the GFI. If the GFI is making clicking sound when you are trying to reset it, then it is bad and needs to be changed. I suspect a bad GFI or loose wire because your tester popped it.
Let me add a little more info to the puzzle. The unit is sitting in my driveway not moving, the main breaker in the house blew the other day for no known reason. When I found the blown breaker I reset it and everything was working. When I went out yesterday to mess around with some stuff I had no AC power at the outlets but the breaker was not blown.

I think when I hit the GFI test button it popped due to no power at the outlet but I had not metered it before hitting the test button so I'm not sure. I am still well within my warrenty period but if it's something simple I would rather fix it myself then allow the closest dealer (camping world) to me to work on it. Their reputation for breaking more than they fix and not fixing or knowing ho to fix problems is getting around pretty quickly.

2009 FORD F-250 2WD Longbed Diesel
2013 XLR Thunderbolt 300X12
Hauling a 2011 HD Ultra Classic in Apple Green and Black
Sturgis bound 08-2013
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff n. View Post
Let me add a little more info to the puzzle. The unit is sitting in my driveway not moving, the main breaker in the house blew the other day for no known reason. When I found the blown breaker I reset it and everything was working. When I went out yesterday to mess around with some stuff I had no AC power at the outlets but the breaker was not blown.

I think when I hit the GFI test button it popped due to no power at the outlet but I had not metered it before hitting the test button so I'm not sure. I am still well within my warrenty period but if it's something simple I would rather fix it myself then allow the closest dealer (camping world) to me to work on it. Their reputation for breaking more than they fix and not fixing or knowing ho to fix problems is getting around pretty quickly.
Pull the GFI out of the wall box. You can leave the wires attached. Meter the line side to see in you have power there by putting one lead on the power side (black wire/gold screws) and the other on the neutral side (white wire/silver screws). That will tell you if you have power. If there is no power, look for loose or pulled wires from the GFI. A loose or pulled wire will make the GFI not work. If you still have no power, then the problem is at the panel or prior equipment.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top B View Post
Pull the GFI out of the wall box. You can leave the wires attached. Meter the line side to see in you have power there by putting one lead on the power side (black wire/gold screws) and the other on the neutral side (white wire/silver screws). That will tell you if you have power. If there is no power, look for loose or pulled wires from the GFI. A loose or pulled wire will make the GFI not work. If you still have no power, then the problem is at the panel or prior equipment.
Maybe an easier way- Open Power panel, remove the sheet metal cover protecting the circuit breakers. Energisze the AC with shore power. With one lead on a neutral point, use your meter probe to check the bottom of each breaker. With all closed they should all read full voltage at the leads out of the center. Pay attention to the GFI labeled circuit maybe its #2 or#3. If you have power at that point and GFI won't close most likely its the outlet itself is bad. If the GFI has an orange light on its really telling you its powered and faulty.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Maybe an easier way- Open Power panel, remove the sheet metal cover protecting the circuit breakers. Energisze the AC with shore power. With one lead on a neutral point, use your meter probe to check the bottom of each breaker. With all closed they should all read full voltage at the leads out of the center. Pay attention to the GFI labeled circuit maybe its #2 or#3. If you have power at that point and GFI won't close most likely its the outlet itself is bad. If the GFI has an orange light on its really telling you its powered and faulty.

Thanks everyone for your help ... I have found the problem and fixed it. I have a 90 adaptor on my shore power to take some strain off where the outlet attaches to the wall of the camper. This adaptor has worked great for years but for some reason one of the legs decided to stop working. Once I removed the 90 all the power was back.

So again thanks to all that replied to my call for help. Your suggestions were invaluable to me in helping me through this issue... Cheers

2009 FORD F-250 2WD Longbed Diesel
2013 XLR Thunderbolt 300X12
Hauling a 2011 HD Ultra Classic in Apple Green and Black
Sturgis bound 08-2013
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Good deal!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, voltage