Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

no 12v to thermostat

Hello All,

2015 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH.

Heater has never worked. When you move the thermostat to heat, there is nothing... no sound whatsoever from the heater. Propane is good, the water heater and stove work.

I checked for power at the red wire going into the thermostat and there was no voltage. There is no convenient place to place the negative side of the multimeter like there is on a car haha, so for a ground, I used the sheet metal body of the heater and then the ground side of a 12v light socket.

Checked all the fuses and they are all good. I tried to chase the red/white wires with the tan colored outer insulation to look for a pinched wire, and that's where I got hung up. The wires go "up" from the thermostat inside the wall, and I can see them at the heater. Not much help.

The red/white wires with the tan insulation do not start at the breaker box (under the bottom bunk on my camper). A different wire must come out of the breaker box and then split off at another junction somewhere.

I guess what I am asking is, where is this secondary junction box or split where the red/white wires start? So I can see if there is 12v power there, and then know which wire coming out of the junction box feeds the red wire.

s10texan
s10texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes up in your air conditioner at the control box

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Turbs, but I think you are referring to a ceiling mounted A/C with a combination A/C-heater thermostat. I have a wall mounted A/C and the thermostat is for the heat only.

Please let me know if I should check again, but I didn't see a control box in the A/C area.

s10texan
Old 03-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok then no, yes I'd be referring to a ceiling mounted a/c .
In that case I'd say that there is probably no junction point and wire run from point a to b

Can you check continuity on all the wires using a long wire ?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Dahagen

I had the same problem. Found a wire nut loose under the refer that fed 12 volts to thermostat and refer. If all else fails, run another 12v wire from a constant source wire to thermostat.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
CDR USN Ret

It's so much easier to offer definitive advise when the make and model of the equipment is provided.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
It's so much easier to offer definitive advise when the make and model of the equipment is provided.
I put "2015 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH" right up front.

It's so much easier to get help when people read what is posted.

s10texan
Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

Anyway, I found the problem... it was a loose connection at a wire nut (under the cabinets in my case) just like dahagen found too. It works now!

Thanks guys!

s10texan
Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
CDR USN Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10texan View Post
I put "2015 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH" right up front.

It's so much easier to get help when people read what is posted.

s10texan
Haw about the make and model of the furnace/thermostat/ac?????????????????????????????
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
Haw about the make and model of the furnace/thermostat/ac?????????????????????????????
DSQR,

Stop. Just stop. You thought you were going to schwack me and it backfired.

"Yeah, well, huff huff, what about the make and model and serial number and manufacture date of the thermostat, huh?????????????????????"

I appreciate the previous poster trying to help... if I owned one of the 99% of campers with roof air, I would have found the controller box where he said. Not a big deal. Dehagen had the same problem (loose wire nut connection) so this makes twice now FR made the same mistake, and so everyone is better off on the forum for knowing that.

Stop splattering more egg onto your screen.

s10texan
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #11

Temper, temper

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10texan View Post
DSQR,

Stop. Just stop. You thought you were going to schwack me and it backfired.

"Yeah, well, huff huff, what about the make and model and serial number and manufacture date of the thermostat, huh?????????????????????"

I appreciate the previous poster trying to help... if I owned one of the 99% of campers with roof air, I would have found the controller box where he said. Not a big deal. Dehagen had the same problem (loose wire nut connection) so this makes twice now FR made the same mistake, and so everyone is better off on the forum for knowing that.

Stop splattering more egg onto your screen.

s10texan
Play pretty boys.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat