Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naples
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
By the way, the resettable circuit breaker is hidden under the trailer, usually either under the tongue, or just behind it, at the front of the trailer. You will have to crawl under the trailer to find it.

Larry
It’s a 5th Wheel.
__________________

__________________
🦆 2018 GTS 2800QSF 🦆 The Adventure Continues
Pursuit 27KB - RIP - Killed by Irma
Cedar Creek 36CKTS - Retired in Titusville
Designer Legacy 3590RLTS - At the Lake
Bullet 215RBS - Went to a good home in KS
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 511
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
It’s a 5th Wheel.
Okay, don't keep us in suspense, Ducky. Where do they hide them on 5th wheel units?

Larry
__________________

Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 6,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Okay, don't keep us in suspense, Ducky. Where do they hide them on 5th wheel units?

Larry
Mine are in the front storage compartment on my 5th wheel.

Not my rig (an internet snag) but same concept.

__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naples
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Mine are in the front storage compartment on my 5th wheel.
Instant winner!

p.s. they hide disconnect switches in there too.
__________________
🦆 2018 GTS 2800QSF 🦆 The Adventure Continues
Pursuit 27KB - RIP - Killed by Irma
Cedar Creek 36CKTS - Retired in Titusville
Designer Legacy 3590RLTS - At the Lake
Bullet 215RBS - Went to a good home in KS
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLori View Post
Hello,

I recently purchase a used 2000 Forrest River 28 ft Salem 5th Wheel. I discovered that with both batteries fully charged the only thing that is powered is the slid out, nothing else works, no landing legs, no appliances, no lights, no outlets, nothing. The wiring looks to be in excellent condition. There is no obvious power shut off switch. I am not too comfortable with electrical systems but with the help of youtube I was able to determine (at the batteries posts) there are no amps being pulled from the trailer. I am hoping that I am just missing something simple, any suggestions?
Thank you, Danny
So, I am no electrical genius, but most all electrical current coming from the batteries will travel to an inverter to change 12v DC to 120v ac. Current that is 120v ac, such as what would come from shore power or a generator, will pass through a converter to "convert" 120v ac to 12v DC. This is how the shore power is able to charge your batteries.
If you can operate your slides, it is because most all sides operate on 12v dc directly from the batteries. Landing gear, appliances, outlets, on the other hand, require 120 v ac current, so this requires juice from your inverter. I am a bit surprised that your lights don't work as most rigs, 5th wheel or otherwise, use 12 volt lighting. So your situation is a bit of a puzzle.

I do not think that a battery cut-off is in effect here as that would negate the operation of the slides as well. So, what other options might you have. I encountered an issue with my inverter where a "re-settable" circuit breaker tripped. It is usually a button on the inverter itself and would be "pushed in" or flush when normal and "popped out" when tripped.

The only other suggestion I would have is to check all your 12v fuses in the fuse block to see if any those have blown as well as reset all your 120v circuit breakers in your electrical panel, including any main breaker.
Regards, Mike
mmcbride56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Naples
Posts: 1,762
120v landing gear? I’ve never seen anything like that. Having resided in Missouri, please do “show me.”

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I’ll wait until the OP responds...

Here’s a couple of “Up the Creek” pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31202E96-032C-4E6E-B7B9-0F5CAA3BA1E7.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	179131   Click image for larger version

Name:	20D49AAB-9E82-4625-88B2-00ABF2A5D308.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	179132  
__________________
🦆 2018 GTS 2800QSF 🦆 The Adventure Continues
Pursuit 27KB - RIP - Killed by Irma
Cedar Creek 36CKTS - Retired in Titusville
Designer Legacy 3590RLTS - At the Lake
Bullet 215RBS - Went to a good home in KS
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7,167
If the batteries were very low or dead when you charged it you may have blown the reverse polarity fuses. They could be in the distribution panel or on the back of the converter. They are normally 30-40A fuses. If the batteries have not been replaced since new, this will need to be done as well. How are you judging fully charged batteries. If you are going by battery panel, that may be giving you false readings. Check charge with RV disconnected from shore power.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #18
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 8,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbride56 View Post
So, I am no electrical genius, but most all electrical current coming from the batteries will travel to an inverter to change 12v DC to 120v ac. Current that is 120v ac, such as what would come from shore power or a generator, will pass through a converter to "convert" 120v ac to 12v DC. This is how the shore power is able to charge your batteries.
If you can operate your slides, it is because most all sides operate on 12v dc directly from the batteries. Landing gear, appliances, outlets, on the other hand, require 120 v ac current, so this requires juice from your inverter. I am a bit surprised that your lights don't work as most rigs, 5th wheel or otherwise, use 12 volt lighting. So your situation is a bit of a puzzle.

I do not think that a battery cut-off is in effect here as that would negate the operation of the slides as well. So, what other options might you have. I encountered an issue with my inverter where a "re-settable" circuit breaker tripped. It is usually a button on the inverter itself and would be "pushed in" or flush when normal and "popped out" when tripped.

The only other suggestion I would have is to check all your 12v fuses in the fuse block to see if any those have blown as well as reset all your 120v circuit breakers in your electrical panel, including any main breaker.
Regards, Mike
Re: highlighted statements

I have no inverter anywhere in my Wildcat 5th wheel.

All landing gear I've ever seen are powered by 12vDC.

These things require 120vAC directly through my shore power cord and 120vAC breakers (no inverter).
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 70; booked = 11
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Re: highlighted statements

I have no inverter anywhere in my Wildcat 5th wheel.

All landing gear I've ever seen are powered by 12vDC.

These things require 120vAC directly through my shore power cord and 120vAC breakers (no inverter).
So, having had (in the past) a TT, a 5ver, and currently a MH, I'll concede the fact that landing gear are most likely 12v if electrical. Also, everything in a TT and/or 5th wheel will most likely operate in 12v mode, except any 120v ac electrical outlets and a/c units, which would would then require a) shore power, b) generator, or c) an inverter (not for a/c of course). For charging house batteries from either of the first two options you need a converter, otherwise you need the auxiliary wire from the Towing Vehicle where you generally use the TowV's alternator to charge the batteries.
FYI: My residential style refrigerator only works on 120v ac. which utilizes the inverter on my coach when I am not sourcing ac from shore or genny.
mmcbride56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
WolfWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,257
I would chase the + battery connection from the battery towards the power center. That cable will have a breaker between there and the power center... Mine has a 12v DC copper bus with several other breakers electrically between battery and power center. The converter will charge the batteries over the same cable, since it is also the charger but that requires shore power (120 volts AC). If you do plug into shore power, the 120 volt AC side of the power center will also be energized. DannyLori, what works or doesn't work when plugged into shore power? You mentioned appliances don't work, but 120 volt AC things cannot work without generator or shore power. Only assuming you don't also have an inverter, which inverts 12 volt DC into 120 volts AC. Some devices / appliances use a combination of DC and LP gas, once they are correctly switch that way. Please be careful working with your electrical systems, the 12 volt at the battery has huge current available and can make you hurt yourself and melt things, but the 120 vac can kill you and hurt like hell the whole time its doing it.
ww
__________________

__________________
Hyper Lite was sold

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.