Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

No DC power

I have a Rockwood Roo 23ss that all of a sudden would not except power to the coach from my tow vehicle. I have checked the fuse which is under the coach about 3 ft from the battery and replaced it (30amp). I also bought a new battery.....

Any ideas?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

The fuse in your tow vehicle?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

How do you know it is not being accepted? What is the symptom? If you have a charged battery on the coach, then the 12V system would work with or without the TV power.

Have you confirmed there is 12V being supplied on the 7-way connector on the TV, and that the connection is good?

If there is no voltage on the TV connector, then there is likely either a blown fuse or disconnected wire somewhere on the TV.
If there is voltage at the connector, then check the trailer plug and wiring.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Power connector on the tow vehicle:

Name:   image-3207855750.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  38.7 KB

12v expected between pins 1 & 4, perhaps only with the ignition on.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

did you check the resettable breaker along the trailer tongue?
usually is tripped when someone puts the battery in backwards.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

As everyone said start with the 7-way on the tow vehicle. Use a multimeter to check for voltage between the +12V and GND prongs in the receptacle on the vehicle. +12V should be the top right prong and the GND should be just opposite on the bottom left. Be mindful of two things. First some 7 ways installed at the factory are oriented sideways so the "top" as I've described it may be facing right or left. Look for the orientation indent and consider that to be the top. Second for most vehicles the engine needs to be running so supply voltage so make sure to do this when testing.

If the 7 way isn't supplying power its likely a fuse or a relay depending on the vehicle. If it is sending power you've got a break in the circuit on the trailer. I always check power at the POS and NEG battery cables next w/o a battery installed on the trailer while plugged into the vehicle. As others have said, check to see if your DC breakers need reset usually right near the front frame cross member on the trailer frame. If it's not there but still receiving power from the converter when connected to shore power, then you've got a bad connection on the +12V between the 7 way plug and the POS battery cable. Bad GND is less likely if you still have running lights, taillights, and breaks when towing.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
The fuse in your tow vehicle?
well I don't think it's the TV's problem cause with a new battery, not connected to the tv will not supply power.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfile View Post
well I don't think it's the TV's problem cause with a new battery, not connected to the tv will not supply power.
Your original post said it wouldn't accept power from the tow. Now you're describing a different problem.

If you can plug into shore power (120 volts) do the lights in your RV work? I would check the fuses in your converter panel next.

Tags
power