Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

NO POWER

I HAVE A 2018 RIVERSTONE 37MRE and I have lost ALL power, 50 amp service and all 12 volt, not sure what happened but the end of the cord has smoked the Neutral line. Lost all power, is their another breaker or in line fuse or link under the trailer under the panels or anything?
ACIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Commercial Member

ACIW,

We would be happy to assist you with restoring power to your Riverstone. Please contact Jeff Holmes in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

Most likely if the neutral wire on your shore cord lost connection. 240 volts was applied to all of your 120 volt appliances as well as your converter. Most probably did not survive. Converters and microwaves seem to always fail, TV’s may survive.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Need a little more information. Which end of the power cord was smoked? Usually a burned ( smoked) power cord is the result of a loose connection that heated up. Sometimes you can clean and reconnect the damaged terminal, but many times not. If you have a completely removable power cord ( connectors on both ends) you can simply replace it for a quick fix. If not you should cut the power cord to clean ( unburned) wire and connect a new plug. You should still have 12V from your battery unless the shore power has been out for some time and 12V items in the RV have depleted the battery. Make sure you have the campground check the pedestal as it is possible the loose connection was there or the female connector in the box was damaged as well.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #5

The fact that you are asking about breakers makes me wonder if you are trying to use the same power cord with the damaged neutral. Please do not plug that back in. Get a qualified electrician to check things out.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #6

No, the cord is on a roller built into the side of unit, I had 12 volt until the cord smoked, now I have nothing, not sure how to get all the jacks to work or the 5 slides in.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

NO, I unplugged it and left it, this is my 5th trailer and have never had an issue like this, I was hoping to get the 12 volt working but of course I wanted to see if it had tripped the main breaker on either end and it did not, im smart enough not to plug it back in!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

Im trying to find out if their is a another fuse or fusable link somewhere under the trailer between where the cord retractor is and the main breaker box since it didn't trip the main breaker or blow any of the fuses??
Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

What state are your batteries in? Is the 12 battery disconnect switch disconnected?

Did the plug actually melt? If so likely related to a bad pedestal outlet. I carry a spare 50 amp plug for in case this happens to me .
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #10

12 volt power source was ON when this happened and yes it actually melted the end of the 50amp cord so I will have to replace the end but it still doesn't explain the loss of 12 volt power.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Battery cut off switch? Breaker in front bay, side of them have a reset switch. Or batteries bad, sound like you were running with no battery connection and just convertor power.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIW View Post
12 volt power source was ON when this happened and yes it actually melted the end of the 50amp cord so I will have to replace the end but it still doesn't explain the loss of 12 volt power.
It seems you have some confusion between the 12v power source and the 120v power source the shore cord provides.

Regardless of the melted shore cord, your 12v system should still work IF your battery(ies) is/are charged and in good order.

Do you have a battery disconnect?
Have you checked the state of charge of the battery(ies)

Your slides and jacks work off 12v. You should still be able to get them in/out unless you have a battery that is disconnected, needs charged or unless you have a resettable 12v circuit breaker that has popped.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #13

It's guesswork without a photo(s), more info. or being there.

If the battery was okay, you should still have 12 volts unless the battery was dead, is disconnected or connections are bad. Maybe check fuses in the converter/panel, ground connections to the frame, connections at battery &

At the least, you could replace the cord's plug. If detachable, could replace the entire cord but would be expensive. If the neutral connection to the pedestal failed, you could have had 240 volts on things that are normally 120 volts and fried them. Could take some time to go through everything to see what's still okay.

If you knew what you were doing and know electrical stuff, you *could* apply 120 volts to each side/bus in your panel and see what's working okay and what's not. Turn off all breakers first, then turn on one by one. Fridge, MW and TV have plugs but fridge needs 12 volts to work. You *could* also apply 120 volts directly to the converter input to get 12 volt things working again (if converter not damaged).

Best thing though is to hire a professional. If you need 12 volts to bring in slides or awning to be able to tow, could buy a charger or new battery, if you can't get the battery to do anything. If you had a voltmeter you could measure the state of charge. Or even use battery cables off a fellow RV-ers battery or roadside assistance guy.

Tags
power