Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #1

no power but plugged in to 50 amp service

Currently I am plugged into a 50 amp service, but all of the power is being drawn from the batteries which don't last very long. It shows that there is power being drawn from the 50 amp plug but nothing is working unless I keep plugged into my pickup to keep the batteries charging in the camper. Its a 41 foot Sandpiper.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

It sounds like your main breaker in the camper is tripped. Then my question is what are you referring to "it" shows power being drawn.

I would first check your main breaker in the camper. Switch it on and off to make sure its reset. If that does not work go to the power post and reset the breaker there.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Currently I am plugged into a 50 amp service, but all of the power is being drawn from the batteries which don't last very long. It shows that there is power being drawn from the 50 amp plug but nothing is working unless I keep plugged into my pickup to keep the batteries charging in the camper. Its a 41 foot Sandpiper.
"power is being drawn from the 50 amp plug" - Does this mean your AC stuff (like TV, Air Conditioner, Microwave, etc) works?

"All the power is being drawn from the batteries" - Does this mean that the batteries are not being charged and all your 12 volt stuff is coming off the battery?

If all of that is "true" your converter is not working. Check the circuit breaker that provides power to the converter. It might be marked "CONV" in the panel.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

I don't know how you performed your test but I would make sure the circuit breaker on the power pedestal is flipped to ON and as cardinal4fun said, turn the 50 amp breaker in your trailer to off and then back to on.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #5

If you are at a CG and the breaker on the pedestal has been reset and the breaker in the trailer is reset and you still have no power talk to the CG owner. The breaker at the main distribution panel could be off.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
"power is being drawn from the 50 amp plug" - Does this mean your AC stuff (like TV, Air Conditioner, Microwave, etc) works?

"All the power is being drawn from the batteries" - Does this mean that the batteries are not being charged and all your 12 volt stuff is coming off the battery?

If all of that is "true" your converter is not working. Check the circuit breaker that provides power to the converter. It might be marked "CONV" in the panel.
The microwave has lights but will not turn on and the clock does not work. Other than that everything seems to work while the batteries are charged.

Yes the batteries are not being charged and all the 12v stuff is coming off the battery.

We've flipped all the breakers in the breaker box and on the CG post
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Well, if you say your microwave light is on but you can't run the microwave work, that is odd.

Could be something like a loose neutral somewhere (in 50 amp circuit), either in your unit or in the campground supply somewhere. If you have a detachable cord, try wiggling it.

You could try another pedestal if possible. Or borrow a meter from someone and measure the line voltage before and after you turn something on.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #8

My bet is your converter failed, OP said things run from battery side. When the battery fails the DC control systems fail and the normal AC power appliances will not work correctly.ie. thermostat controls the Air Conditioning which is AC powered, but thermostat is DC same as all the lighting, and frig control panel.
Since the DC side pulls from the battery and the converter recharges it, but has failed, plugging into the TV will recharge the battery and while the TV is plugged in everything works fine. You can either run the TV, do not let the CC drain the TV battery, or disconnect the converter (unplug it's AC line, disconnect the red and black cables and ground. In it's place you can stick a battery charger, hook it up to the black and red, set it at 10amp like you were charging your deep cell battery and you have a work around until you can replace the converter.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #9

FYI,
Your converter is independent from the fuse panel in that unit. in the basement remove the 4 screws holding up the wall on the left as you face the unit on the door side, the converter is right behind the wall and behind the fuse panel, WFCO big 65Amp silver box.
Looks like this,
Attached Images

2023 Road Glide ST
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

The key clue here is the microwave IMO. It is an AC only device.
He should have NO lights in the microwave if there is no AC.

So assuming there is AC and nothing AC works correctly, there has to be bad AC coming into the camper. This can cause all kinds of trouble.

There is a reason we harp on good quality power and surge protection.
If it was me at this point I would be

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-24960.html
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #11

The OP's microwave is an AC/DC unit same as mine but needs to see DC for AC to work, just finished fighting this demon 2 weeks ago, and the dealer is putting in my new converter this week. I finally had an electrician map out my unit as it was driving me crazy.
Some AC worked (second air unit), outside frig, outside microwave and other things would not work (main Air unit, inside frig, inside Microwave), it was nuts.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I think I need to retire. (oh wait... too late)
Too many variations of stuff to keep track of.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #13

Has the CG owner checked the breakers at the main panel. I would be checking the power supply to the pedestal. As Herk also stated it would be wise to invest in a surge protection for your unit. If you have no AC coming to the trailer it is not the converter but the power supply. Also as stated try plugging your unit into another electrical post. If you do not have 120 volts at the post then nothing in the trailer will work.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #14

I would listen to Herk, you need power manager and it will cost about $380 for the 50 amp one. It is a must! Look for surge thread on this forum.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I would listen to Herk, you need power manager and it will cost about $380 for the 50 amp one. It is a must! Look for surge thread on this forum.
X2 for the SP.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #16

I have almost same issues as camperlucy and OP......sounds like its the converter.....am i wrong? Air conditioning is working....microwave light is on inside but keypad panel is inop...battery isnt charging so most lights are dimming....

If it is the converter...i may have them upgrade to a better one than the wfco one....

Also while operating the jacks the other day (last hook up time) i was lowering the landing gear and a tv in the rear bunkhouse blew out....dont know if its related but the tv led popped and liquid from the crystals started dripping out....not sure if its two issues or they are connected some how.....i will be buying a surge protector soon though...that's for sure

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #17

Sound like you had a power surge. Check the breakers at the post. You might have tripped one side of the 50amp service. The converter should not effect the 120 volt side of the unit.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #18

i'm in agreement with the others. the only thing i could add is to check the tightness of the supply cable inside the breaker box. some have reported finding those loose from the factory (make sure ur unplugged when u do).
make sure the converter did not come unplugged. urs may be different but mine plugs into an outlet in the cargo area. check the outlet that ur converter plugs into to make sure that it is live. i believe there are also breakers on the converter (or fuses).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #19

if you had a power surge, you will want to check the fuses in your converter, in the basement crawl space behind the wall (is the converter) in the front of it are two automotive type fuses (picture of the red fuses in post 9 of this thread)..
BTW, my converter was still under warranty and FR refused to upgrade it, I had to accept another WFCO or replace it on my own, so I decided to put the WFCo in (free) knowing that if it happened again I would be out of warranty and then put in a better one.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #20

Ya...dealer wont have an opening for awhile....BUT Forest River came through and are bringing me into their Indiana plant tomorrow at 0600 so they can fix it...YAY

Tags
50 amp, led pad