Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #1

No Power in Camper

I just bought a new 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite in June, 6 months ago. We have taken it camping several times without issue. I had a 30 A outdoor outlet installed at my house so we could keep it plugged in, I plugged it in the first time, and I swear I heard a faint pop. The hurricane was coming so I didn't get a chance to check on it. A couple of weeks later I check on it and find that there is no power inside, oddly except the microwave clock. I checked the house breaker and it was fine, I checked the breakers and fuses in the breaker panel inside the camper and they were fine. I cycled all breakers and still nothing. I checked the fuse on the red battery cable and it was fine. I had my electrician come back out and check the outlet and he said it was wired right, nothing came loose, and it has power. He checked the campers breaker panel and there was AC power coming in, but he was a bit puzzled why nothing was working. I have no idea what could have happened. Obviously, I will likely have to take it in for warranty repair. But if it was something rather simple, I wanted to ask the forum. The only thing I can think of is the AC to DC converter, but I have no idea where it is. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!
Joedvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #2

Are you sure the electrician wired the 30 amp outlet at 120 volts? Its very common that they are wired incorrectly with 240 volts.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc1024 View Post
Are you sure the electrician wired the 30 amp outlet at 120 volts? Its very common that they are wired incorrectly with 240 volts.

X2

Please immediately unplug your RV from the outlet installed, as you need to check it. We have electricians all the time incorrectly wire this 30 amp outlet as a 240 volt application, which is wrong. If you connect to that, you will fry your converter (which it sounds like you did). You can destroy the microwave, television, fridge control boards, electric fireplaces, and more.

I have been involved in way too many of these occurrences on the forums. Hold on and I will get some more info.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #4

Is the 30A receptacle you had installed 120V, it should only have a 30A single pole breaker feeding it?
RJJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Check this link that we keep as a sticky at the top of the FAQ subforum. Print out the pdf file if you can,

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...let-27223.html

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Can you go to the electrical distribution panel of your house where the electrician wired your 30 amp outlet from. Look at the circuit breaker to this outlet. If it's a double pole circuit breaker (twice as wide as say a 15 amp circuit breaker in the panel), then he wired it up 240 volts......and you have problems

Check out this link:

RV Electric

and the outlet testing tab, to verify your outlet.

RV Electric

If you find out it was incorrectly wired as 240 volts (even though the outlet itself may have 125 volts on the face of it which an electrician should read)...you need to document all communications, etc with the electrician. There is going to be damage that is not covered by warranty, so the liability will reside with the electrician and/or your insurance.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Yep could be an electrician got another one.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Site Team

If you do find out it was wired for 240 volts, it's understandable if you are upset and maybe feel sick about it. But it does happen. Your forum friends here will get you thru it, if that has happened.

Just let us know what you find, so we can troubleshoot further.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Joedvo,

First, thank you for joining the Salem family with your Cruise Lite purchase.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences resulting from this loss of power. We take these concerns very seriously and would encourage you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our service department by visiting this personalized link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

In order to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please use this link and Miranda will respond within 24 hours.

Thank you,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Did you check your GFIC outlet and was it tripped?
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #10

I checked with my electrician and while I told him it was 120V before he installed it, it was installed as 240 V. Has anyone ever dealt with this or known someone who has? I am guessing that my only option is to take it to the dealer.
Joedvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedvo View Post
I checked with my electrician and while I told him it was 120V before he installed it, it was installed as 240 V. Has anyone ever dealt with this or known someone who has? I am guessing that my only option is to take it to the dealer.
I would think then all cost would and should be covered by the electrician and his company. Your warenty is not going to cover it. Not sure about your insurance they may say the electric company insurance is responsible for the damage.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
Site Team

The first thing to do is get it wired correctly and then figure out what is damaged and what just has a tripped breaker or blown fuse.

Once you figure that out, you can discuss with the electrician what part they accept.

Assuming you paid them for the work, AND they were informed that it was an RV receptacle, they are liable.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

You are not the only one that has experienced this. There are several threads on tbe forum where members discuss the things damaged. As stated, talk to the electrician regarding their responsibilty.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Yep, wish you had asked the Forum members about this before you had a electrician install it.[emoji21]
This happens a lot and unfortunately the owner comes here after the damage is done.
He should be liable for the items that will need to be replaced.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, wish you had asked the Forum members about this before you had a electrician install it.[emoji21]
This happens a lot and unfortunately the owner comes here after the damage is done.
He should be liable for the items that will need to be replaced.
OP (Joedvo) told his electrician it was 120V.

I installed a 30A RV outlet on my house. But I did not use until I was able to tested it with my Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
OP (Joedvo) told his electrician it was 120V.

I installed a 30A RV outlet on my house. But I did not use until I was able to tested it with my Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector.
I think their point was that the electricians all say they know how to wire a simple rv plug... Then blow up your camper.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #17

Quote:
A couple of weeks later I check on it and find that there is no power inside, oddly except the microwave clock.
I would think that if you plugged into a 240 V service and "blew everything out" the microwave clock wouldn't be working either.

Have you checked the GFCI outlet and hit the reset button? Often in the bathroom with a lot of other items being fed off the pass through power connection (line).

GFCI's are notorious for tripping when unit is plugged in. They're temperamental on their best day.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I think their point was that the electricians all say they know how to wire a simple rv plug... Then blow up your camper.
As a 40 year + master electrician I can assure you that not “all” electricians “Then blow up your camper”. I would wager a lot of money that the friend or handy man do a lot more damage than licensed professional electricians. Sure there are instances of so called electricians misswiring Rv 30 amp circuits but those are the ones you hear about - the majority that have no issues don’t make it to the forum. I get a little testy when this issue comes up! I have weighed in on far too many threads on this forum where the “experts” suggest electrical solutions that are absolutely wrong and very dangerous.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WY Husker Fan View Post
As a 40 year + master electrician I can assure you that not “all” electricians “Then blow up your camper”. I would wager a lot of money that the friend or handy man do a lot more damage than licensed professional electricians. Sure there are instances of so called electricians misswiring Rv 30 amp circuits but those are the ones you hear about - the majority that have no issues don’t make it to the forum. I get a little testy when this issue comes up! I have weighed in on far too many threads on this forum where the “experts” suggest electrical solutions that are absolutely wrong and very dangerous.
Thanks as an electrician of 37 years and one who takes care of 4 campgrounds.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Not trying to say "all" electricians... But give it a few months (everyone gets their new rigs in from the dealers) and there will be numerous threads for 240 blowing out from miswired plugs campers, why their microwave does not work on battery power and so on.. Been here a while as you all have as well and see if every year

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
camper, power