Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

NO POWER... Inverter not working

We have a 2005 Rockwood Forestriver Ultra Light and are having issues with it. I was able to find the Owners manual online but I need more technical information for it. Are there technical guides for it?

The marine battery is in the RV-- we think that is the problem with the charge. Have an inverter thatchanges power from 12 to 110 volt. The inverter is not taking the 110 volt and switching it to the system. The 12 volt battery isnt supplying enought volts (because it isnt pulling enough charge from the marine battery). We were thinking the inverter had a reset button that was knocked off... but we dont know where that would be located if so. Do you have any manuals that we could get more info on this?

I really appreciate any help.... we are stuck in Cali in HOT weather with no electricity!
Tibble1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum first off.
We have some info in the library.
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Power and Electrical

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibble1121 View Post
We have a 2005 Rockwood Forestriver Ultra Light and are having issues with it. I was able to find the Owners manual online but I need more technical information for it. Are there technical guides for it?

The marine battery is in the RV-- we think that is the problem with the charge. Have an inverter thatchanges power from 12 to 110 volt. The inverter is not taking the 110 volt and switching it to the system. The 12 volt battery isnt supplying enought volts (because it isnt pulling enough charge from the marine battery). We were thinking the inverter had a reset button that was knocked off... but we dont know where that would be located if so. Do you have any manuals that we could get more info on this?

I really appreciate any help.... we are stuck in Cali in HOT weather with no electricity!
Howdy Tibble1121, I need to ask you some more questions as I'm kinda confused on your terminology and setup.

When you say you have no electricity, what exactly in your RV is not working?

Are you plugged into any 120 volt power source (like a campground pedestal or a house outlet)?

An inverter does indeed change 12 volt DC battery power to 120 volt AC power, but most travel trailers do not have an inverter. They usually have the opposite of that and is called a 'converter', which takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC.

The purpose of the converter is to power up your things in the trailer that operate off of 12 volts (lights, fans, furnace, fridge on DC, detectors, etc.) instead of these things drawing power from the battery, which they do if you are not hooked up to any form of 120 volt AC power (park pedestal, generator). The converter also has a function of being a battery recharger too, as it will recharge your battery when hooked up to 120 volts AC.

There are some things that only operate off of 120 volts AC, which is your air conditioner, microwave, television, any outlets,......and the converter. You have to have 120 volts AC for the aforementioned to operate.

You stated you needed help because it was hot, so I am assuming you are trying to run an air-conditioner..............which you will need 120 volts AC to do.

Even if you did have a true "inverter", it wouldn't power the air-conditioner with just one battery.

----------------------------------

This article by Mark Polk may help too

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

and this one is even more detailed, which explains the batteries,etc.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

Once we figure out exactly what isn't working, if you are plugged into a 120 volt power source, and if it's really the converter........we might can help you solve the problem.

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

Hi WMTire... I am new to forums so I apologize if I am not following normal process here.

At this point nothing that takes power is working in the RV. Lights or appliances. We are plugged into a house outlet.

As to the "inverter" I am just showing my ignorance. I am sure I mean converter!
Tibble1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you plugged into a gfci at the house?
Did you or someone wire the outlet for the camper or are you plugged into a normal 15 amp plug in?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Are you plugged into a gfci at the house?
Did you or someone wire the outlet for the camper or are you plugged into a normal 15 amp plug in?

Turbs
X2 on Turbs question.

We are going to need to verify each 'link' in the power chain as we troubleshoot it. It may took a few posts to get it all figured out.

The first link, is always the outlet itself. Have you verified there is power from the 'house' outlet by plugging something else into it or using a multi-meter (if you have one)

As Turbs asked, if you are plugging into a gfci outlet at your house, it may be tripped....as well as the breaker inside the house being tripped. Once you verify that point in the chain has 120 volt power, and maybe can answer Turbs good question...we will proceed to the next link in the chain, which will be the use of an adapter, extension cord, etc.

Also, did the lights work at one time.....and maybe don't now that the battery is possibly run down?

A little background history might help, as in did you just get this trailer, has the power worked in it previously, any possibility you incorrectly plugged into a 240 volt outlet (this happens a lot and actually fries everything), and have you swapped out batteries recently?

Just in case you are indeed plugged into a 15 amp regular household outlet via an adapter on your RV power cord, don't try to turn on your air conditioner as it may over load the circuit and possibly burn up something as we figure this out (and is there a chance this may have happened already).

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power