Old 05-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

No Power Rockwood Freedom 1910

Hi,

I picked up my pop-up from storage a couple weeks ago and popped it up today to "summerize" it. I tried turning on an interior light to verify I was getting power and got nothing on battery power. I plugged my car into it thinking the battery might have drained over the winter, confirmed that blinkers/breaklights were working but still no lights or water pump power at all inside the camper.

I checked all of the fuses and they look fine

I'm fairly new to this so I'm probably missing something. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Thinking that using your car to recharge the battery is a poor idea.
Most tow vehicles will only provide a trickle charge at best, which is nearly useless on a dead battery.
Did you check the plunger switch?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I concur. Switch probably stuck thinking the roof is still down
Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Thinking that using your car to recharge the battery is a poor idea.
Most tow vehicles will only provide a trickle charge at best, which is nearly useless on a dead battery.
Oh - I was under the impression that if I had the tow vehicle connected and running it would bypass the battery (or "flow through" the battery) and use the vehicle power to light the lights, etc. I was using that to more or less figure out whether my issue was with the battery or something more significant. If that's not how it works then I'm fairly certain it's my battery. At least I'm hoping.

I checked the plunger switch several times... it was the one thing I knew to check.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Oh - I was under the impression that if I had the tow vehicle connected and running it would bypass the battery (or "flow through" the battery) and use the vehicle power to light the lights, etc. I was using that to more or less figure out whether my issue was with the battery or something more significant. If that's not how it works then I'm fairly certain it's my battery. At least I'm hoping.

I checked the plunger switch several times... it was the one thing I knew to check.
You are correct. Even with a dead battery, you should have gooten voltage to the camper via the TV. Test by reading voltage across PUP battery with the TV connected. Should be 13+ V.

If battery reads 13+ V, but no voltage to lights or anything else DC says you possibly have the frame circuit breaker popped, or the reverse polarity fuses in the converter blown.

If you left your battery connected all winter, the CO/propane alarm will have run your PUP battery down to nothing - and it is now useless. It may be effectively shorting out the TV alternator so that you will not get the 13+ V that a charging battery will show. Remove the PUP battery and have it tested (or just trade in for the core charge on a new battery).

FWIW, the CO/propane alarm will run your battery down to almost nothing in a couple of weeks. You should be disconnecting the battery whenever storing the PUP - or install a battery disconnect switch.

PUP converters can do weird things if a partially charged, good battery is not in the circuit. You don't want to run your converter without a good, partially charged battery - at least not often or for long. That said, plug in the PUP to an AC plug and see if you get 12 volt power that way. If you do, the battery and/or frame circuit breaker and/or reverse polarity fuses are the culprit.

Fred W
now: 2014 Rockwood A122
prior: 2000 Coleman Westlake
Old 06-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Fred, I think you were right.
I had the battery connected while it was in storage. I tested it and it was dead as a doornail. I charged it up and everything's working now... keeping an eye on the battery though to make sure it holds the charge.

The things you learn the first year with a camper!

Thanks for the insight!

Tags
power, rockwood