Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

No power to tongue light

I have a 2014 Rockwood 2604WS. The trailer has a light mounted on the front in the A frame area. This light is controlled by a switch. This is not the light on the tongue jack but is on the trailer. I have no power to that light fixture. I have discussed several times with the FR factory rep and they cannot tell me how that light is wired into the trailer electrical system. They do not seem to have a wiring diagram. I suspect it gets it's power from the similar light located in the storage area under the front of the trailer. Has anyone had this problem or know how this light is wired? I have taken the fixture off the trailer and there is no power coming through the red/white wire coming into the fixture.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Trace the wires back to where they do connect and check there.....then about 1" toward the non working light....using a 12 volt test light?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

Could be bad ground, you could use a jumper wire grounded to frame to check.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #4

I had the same problem with a Flagstaff Superlite. The light was wired to the storage area lights, but the splice was bad and the power wire was sticking out of the wall, not connected to anything. I spliced it to the cargo area 12v and all is well. Quality assurance at Forrest River is poor. I know there are yays and nays all over the site, but I have fixed way too many "little things" on $30K trailer
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

If I remember right the one on our old Flagstaff was wired to the Battery ???
It had no cargo lights !!!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

I like the trailer, being on the third Rockwood, but every spring I have to do the walk around with a set of tools to tighten, or replace screws that have fallen out. Screws where there should have been bolts, replace. Toggles where they put screws, replace. Lousy crimp splices that pull apart, I do a better job with a hand tool. And of course the multiplying sawdust and Styrofoam waste everybody finds. Oh yah, and the first year crawl around underneath sealing all the mouse entry holes with foam and mesh. But better than a tent
Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbyh View Post
I have a 2014 Rockwood 2604WS. The trailer has a light mounted on the front in the A frame area. This light is controlled by a switch. This is not the light on the tongue jack but is on the trailer. I have no power to that light fixture. I have discussed several times with the FR factory rep and they cannot tell me how that light is wired into the trailer electrical system. They do not seem to have a wiring diagram. I suspect it gets it's power from the similar light located in the storage area under the front of the trailer. Has anyone had this problem or know how this light is wired? I have taken the fixture off the trailer and there is no power coming through the red/white wire coming into the fixture.
I had the same problem on my Everlite. Seems the individual that wired the lights (8 total) didn't understand the concept of negative and positive. After much searching through the spider Web of wires I found the problem and reversed the polarity. It was quite the spectical for the neighborhood as I had to crawl my 300 lb self into the pass through to get to the access panel. Brats and beer were served and the fire dept was standing by.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

No power to tongue light

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the ground, it is good and I can't trace wires because they disappear into the trailer walls and I can't see where they come out. The trailer belly is enclosed so I can't trace anything under the trailer either. I don't see any loose or hanging wires not connected, and all other lights in the trailer, slides, etc., work. FR suggested I pull the invertor box to see if something is loose behind the box. That should be fun.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

I know this is a stupid ? but have you checked the Bulb ???
Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
I like the trailer, being on the third Rockwood, but every spring I have to do the walk around with a set of tools to tighten, or replace screws that have fallen out. Screws where there should have been bolts, replace. Toggles where they put screws, replace. Lousy crimp splices that pull apart, I do a better job with a hand tool. And of course the multiplying sawdust and Styrofoam waste everybody finds. Oh yah, and the first year crawl around underneath sealing all the mouse entry holes with foam and mesh. But better than a tent
I have always maintained that an RV owner needs to be a Plumber, an Electrician, a Carpenter and a Mechanic. I am none of those but am pretty handy. I am on my 5th TT. (currently own a 2016. 26VFKS) I haven't even used it yet. I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I imagine when we give it a shake down camping trip this Memorial Day weekend in Colorado, I'll find SOMETHING to fix. Before that though I'll give it a thorough system testing. The thing is, be it a TT,a 5r, a RV, a pop-up, what ever, you are going to have to fix something or have someone else do it!
It's kind of a hobby, working on them. Or it's something you just hate to do.
The bottom line is:

Ornery

Tags
light, power