Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

No signal lights on RV

Hi guys!
I just acquired a 2015 Sierra 380BH5 from a private seller.
He had purchased the unit while remodeling his home, so it pretty much just sat for 1.5.
My question is that now when we tried to tow it, only the caution lights on the RV will light up.
No signal lights at all, my husband checked the connections on the RV and the truck and there seems to be no short anywhere, but we still have no lights.
Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?
Yrodrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

On ours the issue was the turn units were wired wrong. On your tail lights how many bulbs do you have. Either way stop and turn should be the brighter of the bulb of the filiment. On ours the stop and turn were wired to the dim filiment and running to the bright.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Did he make sure that you were getting power to the 7-way plug on the tow vehicle? If so, then it's a matter of finding where the disconnect is. I'd start in the junction box under the pinbox and work back.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

Get a 12v 2 prong turnsignal flasher unit from an autoparts store. Holding the trailer's umbilical cord with the flat spot at a 12 o'clock position, plug the flasher unit into the slots at the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock position. This will cause all the exterior lights to come on and flash. If they don't, the problem is in the trailer. If they do work, the problem is in your tow vehicle. This is also a good thing to use if you are on the side of the road. All lights flashing is better than just the 4 ways flashing.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

We have a strip of LED lights, instead of regular turn signals.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Get a 12v 2 prong turnsignal flasher unit from an autoparts store. Holding the trailer's umbilical cord with the flat spot at a 12 o'clock position, plug the flasher unit into the slots at the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock position. This will cause all the exterior lights to come on and flash. If they don't, the problem is in the trailer. If they do work, the problem is in your tow vehicle. This is also a good thing to use if you are on the side of the road. All lights flashing is better than just the 4 ways flashing.

Bob
With a 12v meter, all the lights seemed to be working (no short) and when the RV was hooked up to another truck it was the same issue, so we pretty much know it's coming from the RV.
Just have no idea how the wiring works in this unit.
Anyone have a clue where we can find that info?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Did he make sure that you were getting power to the 7-way plug on the tow vehicle? If so, then it's a matter of finding where the disconnect is. I'd start in the junction box under the pinbox and work back.
Yes, because we do have the 2 front clearance lights that work and the RV breaks (not break lights, specially installed).
Just no turn signals or break lights.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Site Team

All those are different circuits (Brake power, Tail/Clearance lights, Left Turn/Stop, Right Turn/Stop); so you need to make sure that each circuit has power when it's supposed to. I'm not saying that he didn't check each one, just want to make sure that each one has been checked.

Quote:
...(not break lights, specially installed)
Are you saying that you had the brake/turn lights specially installed?
You also said that they were LED lights.
Keep in mind that LED's are polarity sensitive, which means that you have to hook them up in the correct polarity (positive to positive & negative to negative) or they won't work.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

If you or the previous owner switched to led check for a good ground.
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
All those are different circuits (Brake power, Tail/Clearance lights, Left Turn/Stop, Right Turn/Stop); so you need to make sure that each circuit has power when it's supposed to. I'm not saying that he didn't check each one, just want to make sure that each one has been checked.

Are you saying that you had the brake/turn lights specially installed?
You also said that they were LED lights.
Keep in mind that LED's are polarity sensitive, which means that you have to hook them up in the correct polarity (positive to positive & negative to negative) or they won't work.
No, the LED strip lights came installed on the unit.

My husband has a brake box in the truck that when is connected to the trailer plug helps the trailer brake as well.
(Sorry if I am not explaining that right, but my point is that it does use power as well so there is power getting through, just not making it to the signals.)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Site Team

As I said, each thing is a separate circuit, so one could be getting power from the truck just fine while another isn't getting anything from the truck.

I assume that since they aren't a new install, they at least worked at some point.
Check to make sure that he checked each circuit at the truck 7-way and then go from there. The junction box under the pinbox is where I'd go after the 7-way connector.

If the truck has never been hooked to a trailer, it could be missing fuses for the trailer turn/stop lights. A lot of trucks don't come with them installed.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
As I said, each thing is a separate circuit, so one could be getting power from the truck just fine while another isn't getting anything from the truck.

I assume that since they aren't a new install, they at least worked at some point.
Check to make sure that he checked each circuit at the truck 7-way and then go from there. The junction box under the pinbox is where I'd go after the 7-way connector.

If the truck has never been hooked to a trailer, it could be missing fuses for the trailer turn/stop lights. A lot of trucks don't come with them installed.
He did check the 7 way connector and it was fine, we have been pulling another RV so the truck is setup for connecting to the RV to give it lights. We also tried a friends truck who also pulls an RV and it didn't work with him either....
As far as it working at 1 point in time, I really do hope so!
We just purchased the RV from someone who had it delivered to their home and never took it out.

Thanks for the input though and suggestions, will let you know what happens!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

Brake lights not working

Just purchased a Forrest river 36 2008 model. My Brake lights s are not working . I have tail ,and turn signal but no Brake lights. Camping world tech says it may be a grounding issue and I should take it to Freighter. Only problem is I leave on Friday for a cross country trip to Montana. Any quick fixes or tips on fixing this problem ASAP?
Pvella33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connections, electrical, light, power, towing