Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

No voltage to running lights or taillights ?

Hello, Newguy here. Just bought a 2004 Forest River 25 T. Everything works except when hooked up to truck none of the marker lights work and the TAIL LIGHTS dont work.

However the stop and turn signals work ?

Looking at the taillight bulb the bottom filament lights for turn and stop the top filament does not light and all 10 marker lights dont work with new bulbs ?

HELP !

buffmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Marker/tail lights are a separate circuit from the stop/turn signals.

Is the power out the back of your truck working? Putting power to the right connectors? Easy to tell with a 12v test light between pins 3 (tail) and 1 (ground). Probably $5 at any auto parts store.

Assuming you have 12cDC in the trailer (battery or converter) You can check the trailer wiring when not connected to the truck with a short jumper wire between pins 3 (tail) and 4 (+12v) on the umbilical cord. This connects 12vDC to the running lights -- folks do this when parked at campgrounds to illuminate the exterior of their trailer at night making a midway atmosphere in some camp grounds. A test light between 4 (+12v) and 1 (ground) should light. Note the first is a wire, the second is a light.

-- Chuck

Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Also, (depending on your tow vehicle) the circuits for the tail/marker lights and the turn signals/stop lights are often fused in the tow vehicle, SEPARATELY from the tow vehicle's lights.

It is very possible for the park lights to work on the TV but not the R/V because of a blown fuse in the TV that feeds the plug referred to by Chuck_S.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #4

Some circuits may be ignition controlled as well. Running lights, of course, require the tow vehicle headlights to be on.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #5

What is your tow vehicle?

On my GMC I have to turn my headlight select switch from auto to the headlights on position.

Bob
Old 07-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #6

No voltage to running lights or taillights ?

Hello there, Well due to the replies to my post and Chucks schematic I was able to determine that the trailer circuit was OK. However further investigation with a voltmeter found that I had no running light voltage out of the 2008 Titan tow plug. Further investigation, after several scraped skin episodes, I found a blown fuse in the SEPARATE Tow circuit under the hood which some genius designed so that a senior with arthritic hands can barely remove the fuse covers carefully hidden. Overall everything now works as planned and we are taking off on a shakedown camping tip in the foothills of Mt St Helens. Thanks to all who replied with valuable info.
buffmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #7

Glad it's all working!

-- Chuck
Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

My running marker lights don't operate unless parking/headlights are switched on. The brake lights and turn signals are on a different lead.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #9

Really? The lights have to be turned on?

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmont View Post
Hello there, Well due to the replies to my post and Chucks schematic I was able to determine that the trailer circuit was OK. However further investigation with a voltmeter found that I had no running light voltage out of the 2008 Titan tow plug. Further investigation, after several scraped skin episodes, I found a blown fuse in the SEPARATE Tow circuit under the hood which some genius designed so that a senior with arthritic hands can barely remove the fuse covers carefully hidden. Overall everything now works as planned and we are taking off on a shakedown camping tip in the foothills of Mt St Helens. Thanks to all who replied with valuable info.
Welcome to the forum! Pleased it was a simple fix. Now, you won't notice the white knuckles through the band aids when towing your TT on your first trip. BTW, the people that designed the fuse box likely have stock in Johnson and Johnson.

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, voltage