Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

NOCO "Smart" charger or Battery Tender for truck that sits a lot

Which is best?

My TV often sits for weeks without being driven. When not towing and just "running around town" I drive my Volt and only buy gas once or twice per year (about 6 gallons each time into a 8-9 gallon tank). The constant sitting has taken a toll on it's battery and I recently had to replace a lot sooner than expected.

Have decided to purchase a battery maintainer and keep it connected when not using. Now for a decision. Battery Tender has been around for a long time but to me their product line appears quite "dated". From what I read they are basically a simple charger that eventually drops charging voltage to float voltage and then runs for a few days before a timer shuts it off. When load is applied or voltage drops below a given level the "Tender" then switches back on.

The NOCO line seems to be a little more current with more advanced charging/maintaining profiles. Their spec sheets show that they follow the same profile as the better converters in RV's, including a "desulfation" mode after a certain number of days of inactivity. A stage that appears to be lacking on the Battery Tender line.

My truck has a Group 27 battery with lots of Reserve Capacity but an unknown "Amp Hour" rating. I'm thinking something like a 1.5 amp max charge rate unit would be adequate as I doubt there will be any "heavy lifting" required to just keep the battery healthy.

What experience have people had with the NOCO? Is it as good as they claim? Or is it just the same as the Battery Tender in a fancier dress.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Which is best?

My TV often sits for weeks without being driven. When not towing and just "running around town" I drive my Volt and only buy gas once or twice per year (about 6 gallons each time into a 8-9 gallon tank). The constant sitting has taken a toll on it's battery and I recently had to replace a lot sooner than expected.

Have decided to purchase a battery maintainer and keep it connected when not using. Now for a decision. Battery Tender has been around for a long time but to me their product line appears quite "dated". From what I read they are basically a simple charger that eventually drops charging voltage to float voltage and then runs for a few days before a timer shuts it off. When load is applied or voltage drops below a given level the "Tender" then switches back on.

The NOCO line seems to be a little more current with more advanced charging/maintaining profiles. Their spec sheets show that they follow the same profile as the better converters in RV's, including a "desulfation" mode after a certain number of days of inactivity. A stage that appears to be lacking on the Battery Tender line.

My truck has a Group 27 battery with lots of Reserve Capacity but an unknown "Amp Hour" rating. I'm thinking something like a 1.5 amp max charge rate unit would be adequate as I doubt there will be any "heavy lifting" required to just keep the battery healthy.

What experience have people had with the NOCO? Is it as good as they claim? Or is it just the same as the Battery Tender in a fancier dress.
edit

Lol thought you were asking about an rv

I use the battery tender for my elderly mom's car. The Noco would be fine as well
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Site Team

I switched from Battery Tender to CTEK . No issues with BT, just wanted the higher current and conditioning capabilities. I have two lower current ones for tractor and TT and a higher current for Diesel Truck ( dual battery).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
SRN

I've been using Battery Tenders for years, currently have six connected in my pole barn to my TT battery, MGB battery, winch battery and three old Ford tractors. Have never had any problems with any of the Battery Tender products.
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

+1 for CTEK. Good enough for Corvette, good enough for all my vehicles. I now own 3 of them.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Just A Member

I use Battery Minder. I have had very good results with them. (BatteryMINDer) Northern Tool has them in various sizes. Or you can order them on line. I keep two batteries up on a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel. My tow vehicle, like yours, sits up a lot of the time and Battery Minder does the job well.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

watching
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeling View Post
I use Battery Minder. I have had very good results with them. (BatteryMINDer) Northern Tool has them in various sizes. Or you can order them on line. I keep two batteries up on a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel. My tow vehicle, like yours, sits up a lot of the time and Battery Minder does the job well.
I have also had very good luck with the BatteryMINDer brand. Used it to maintain the two batteries in our 2500HD diesel. About $40. They sell various charger types for various batteries (lead-acid, deep cycle, Gel Cel, etc.)

https://www.batterymart.com/p-batter...xoCen8QAvD_BwE
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #9

There's a bunch of us at work with Noco's. I have 3500s installed permanently in the wife's vw and our diesel Ram to help out in winter. No issues at all, seem to charge up quickly compared to regular trickle chargers.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, truck