Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Not Charging

When I connect the camper to my pickup, the battery shows full and all 12v works. When I plug into simple 110 or to my 30 amp service at home, the battery doesn't charge. I have a 2013 Wildwood X-Lite 26BH. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Check the circuit breaker that is marked for the CONverter in your breaker panel. (Turn it fully off and then back on.) If your RV has a battery-disconnect switch, make sure it's not disconnected.

If you charge the battery by other means, do the lights work in your RV when you're not connected to your tow vehicle?

Do your lights works when you're connected to shore power?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Lights work fine when connected to the tow vehicle. Once connected to shore power, the lights work until the battery starts to drain. Then they dim noticeably. Also, when connected to shore power, all things other than 12v works fine.The breaker for the conv has been turned off then on several times. As for a battery disconnect, I'm not sure. I'll have to find the manual. I don't recall seeing a switch, but honestly not sure where it would be located. I do appreciate the quick reply.

Pat
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

I had a 2008 Rockwood do the same exact thing yours is doing and had to change out the converter. I would chasrge battery with a battery charger and everything would work till the battery would drain.

Cajun Happy
Cajun Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #5

Check the fuses in the converter. There's usually a cluster of 2-4 Mini-ATM fuses rated 15-40 wired in parallel to act as overload protection from the battery into the DC board in the converter/fuse panel. If one goes, they all go.

Note: these will usually be a few inches away from the normal line of ATM fuses used for the distribution in the camper.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Check the fuses in the converter. There's usually a cluster of 2-4 Mini-ATM fuses rated 15-40 wired in parallel to act as overload protection from the battery into the DC board in the converter/fuse panel. If one goes, they all go.

Note: these will usually be a few inches away from the normal line of ATM fuses used for the distribution in the camper.
X2.

No need to look for a battery disconnect. Your answers ruled that out. If the above suggestion doesn't work for you, give the WFCO Troubleshooting Manual from our Library a try. I suspect your converter will need to be replaced. Those in the know seem to recommend the Progressive Dynamics brand. Note that you don't have to replace the whole box...just the converter part.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info. To help myself in the future, can the converter be blown by a power surge or could my 30 amp service here at the house be wired bad? When I noticed the issue with the converter, none of the breakers in the camper or the house tripped.

Pat
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #8

Pretty much anything that can burn up a piece of household electronics can burn out a converter. Power surges, consistence over voltage/high line voltage, brownouts and low line voltage, age, reversing polarity on the supply side, reversing battery voltage... I'm sure there's a few that I've missed too.

If you do need a new converter, I too recommend Progressive Dynamics. I put one in my old camper and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. The converters are microprocessor controlled, quiet, and powerful. The distribution boxes are light and efficiently laid out.

I missed your first reply. Like the battery disconnect, this problem isn't likely related to main fuse protection either since your battery runs your lights. I was under the impression it was the other way around.

---

TEST - Disconnect the battery and tow vehicle. Connect a mutilmeter to the POS and NEG terminals feeding the battery wires in the breaker pane / converter box. Connect to shore power, ensure the breaker feeding the converter is supplying power. See what the voltage reads. With no battery it's should be somewhere in the 13-14V range.

The other possibility is a wire has worked loose in the box, either HOT or NEU on the 120V side feeing the converter, or something internally on the 12V side of the converter. Either way unless you know what your looking for it both unlikely you'll find it and dangerous to poke around looking for it.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #9

OK friends, this problem was due to a grave oversight on my part. I put a double pole breaker in my house so I dumped 220 on a 110 inverter. A/C and fridge are fine. I zapped the control panal on the microwave. My battery will no longer take a charge so I fried it as well. I will replace the battery to solve that of course. I don't suppose the inverter needs a good battery to work properly does it? A guy can dream right? Any way, I think I may get away with just a battery and inverter. Not to bad for such a bonehead mistake on my part. I truly appreciate all the advice and help on this issue.

Pat
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

I think you mean Converter (not inverter). I think its unlikely that this would have damaged your battery. Be sure to have it tested before you replace it.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-n-Kat View Post
OK friends, this problem was due to a grave oversight on my part. I put a double pole breaker in my house so I dumped 220 on a 110 inverter. A/C and fridge are fine. I zapped the control panal on the microwave. My battery will no longer take a charge so I fried it as well. I will replace the battery to solve that of course. I don't suppose the inverter needs a good battery to work properly does it? A guy can dream right? Any way, I think I may get away with just a battery and inverter. Not to bad for such a bonehead mistake on my part. I truly appreciate all the advice and help on this issue.

Pat
You CANNOT run a wfco converter without a battery or with a bad battery.

Is your converter working?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Other things you should check.

Tv
Radio dvd combo
Water heater
Furnace
Converter
Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #13

Turbs and Barry, the reason I say the battery isn't charging is I took it out and put my battery tender on it, it isn't excepting a charge. Will have it tested to be sure. TV was not hooked up and the water heater is fine but haven't checked the furnace.

Turbs, according to what your saying I will need to check/replace the battery first to know for sure. When hooked to tow power all 12v works fine. When I am hooked to shore power I have know 12v. But if I understand you right, I will need a good battery to know if the converter is working properly.

This will take a while since I have 13 members of her family here with us for a wedding and then the better half and I fly out Sunday for a little R&R on a big boat with many cold beverages. All of you have been very helpful. Will let you guys know how it is going when we get back.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-n-Kat View Post
Turbs and Barry, the reason I say the battery isn't charging is I took it out and put my battery tender on it, it isn't excepting a charge. Will have it tested to be sure. TV was not hooked up and the water heater is fine but haven't checked the furnace.

Turbs, according to what your saying I will need to check/replace the battery first to know for sure. When hooked to tow power all 12v works fine. When I am hooked to shore power I have know 12v. But if I understand you right, I will need a good battery to know if the converter is working properly.

This will take a while since I have 13 members of her family here with us for a wedding and then the better half and I fly out Sunday for a little R&R on a big boat with many cold beverages. All of you have been very helpful. Will let you guys know how it is going when we get back.

Thanks,
Pat
Pm sent.

Turbs
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #15

Got it

Tags
charging