Old 09-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Here's what's been driving me nuts lately...How to charge someone else's camper batteries from my solar panels. Why you ask, well we have friends with campers who would like to camp with us, but aren't set up to boondock. I have no doubt they won't spend the money to upgrade their "stock" battery. They are wary of running out of battery power and rightfully so.

Easy set up would be to take my genny. That goes against my idea of peace and quiet.

Next thought... I could parallel their batteries with long jumper cables. this could mess with my charge controller calculations. I don't think this is a good way to go.

Third idea...Use the 4 amp auxiliary battery charging output from my charge controller. problem here is this output uses the same charge parameter/settings as the settings for my batteries. And it's only 4 amps.

So, my charge controller also has a 25 amp auxiliary output. If I can find a reasonably priced dc source battery charger with a max of 25 amp input, I could hook it up to this output. I think it would work.

Anyone know where to get one? I've spent way too much time searching the internet. I have found such chargers, but unless I spend $$$$ none have over 7 amp output. Any ideas?

edit...spelling error

Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Did you ever find anything for this setup? I'm pretty well lost when it comes to electricity stuff.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

I have a 12v source battery charger in my shop as of today. It only has a 7 amp output, but was only $90.

I found another online with dual inputs, both 12v DC, and one battery charger output at 20 amps for $300. I'm gonna wait on that one.