Old 10-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Unhappy Onan 4K Generator Problem

I have a Stealth with the Onan 4K gasoline evap. generator. It appears that the throttle will not spring open like it should. I can hold the throttle open, hit the starter and she will start and run while I hold it open, but if I keep it WOT it will eventually shut itself off (as expected). If I let it take control it will try to throttle down, but goes too far and the throttle just hangs and will not spring back open to throttle back up so it just dies.

Thinking the spring got knocked lose, I wrapped it up one more round, which kind of helped but it is still "hanging". The throttle is also connected to what appears to be a box fed off a part of the exhaust (from what little I can see) which I'm guessing is part of the evap. junk (thanks California, BTW) that I think is putting counter pressure on the throttle and preventing the throttle spring from doing its job and allowing the throttle to spring back open. I totally spaced taking some pictures, but if anyone else has this model (which I'm sure many do), can you help me out? It has < 7 hours of run time and everything else seems to be in good working order otherwise.

The computer controlled throttle arm seems to be working fine and all the springs and arms are in good order, just the throttle itself does not spring open like it should. If anyone has pictures of a working unit that I can refer to to check the spring connection, that would be great as well. Specifically looking at the spring on top of the carb itself, not the throttle control arm

I'll try to get some pictures tonight so everyone can look at what I'm looking at.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
So I finally got around to getting the pictures mocked up, sorry for they delay (although it seems no one really has any input on this anyways...).

The first picture is the throttle control (controls the carburetor blade?). This is the one I wrapped the spring around one more time because it was "sticking" open.

The second picture is the exhaust driven mechanism which I cannot see into that I believe is causing the issue.

I did let it sit for a bit and it seems the throttle control started to bounce back a bit and not stick as much as outside temps got cooler so I tried to start it again and the throttle control would flop around wildly until the gen would shut itself down and throw the service error code at me...

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Throttle.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	94042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Exhaust Mechanism.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	94043  

TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Not sure about the throttle but I had issues with surging and stalling after about 10 minutes of use on an Onan 5500 gas generator. It turned out to be the fuel pump. After it got hot it shut down. I believe the throttle adjusts automatically to load and fuel so maybe that is causing the motion in the spring. Just a long shot hope it can help.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
togo444 is offline   Reply With Quote