Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #21

The book says to prime for 30 seconds,,, that is about what it takes,,, I was not priming for that long of time @ first because I thought it would be flooded !!! ONAN service tech told me it would not flood !!!
RUN IT !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #22

Well I am at the end. We are out camping and I tried a couple things. It appears to be the carb. I also realized I bought an extended warranty so I called them. They will cover a carb and/or a fuel pump (although based on the help here I am convinced it is the carb) and I only pay my $100 deductible. Mine as well use it. It will be going in on our return home.

From that point forward I will run the genny regularly.

Another dumb question. Can I run the gen and run the ac while the rv is covered? Obviously making sure the cover is no where near the exhaust of the gen. Didn't know if the cover would restrict air flow to ac and harm it.
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Well I am at the end. We are out camping and I tried a couple things. It appears to be the carb. I also realized I bought an extended warranty so I called them. They will cover a carb and/or a fuel pump (although based on the help here I am convinced it is the carb) and I only pay my $100 deductible. Mine as well use it. It will be going in on our return home.

From that point forward I will run the genny regularly.

Another dumb question. Can I run the gen and run the ac while the rv is covered? Obviously making sure the cover is no where near the exhaust of the gen. Didn't know if the cover would restrict air flow to ac and harm it.
Do not run the AC while it is covered up! The compressor will overheat and burn up with out circulation.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #24

Latest update.

We got back from camping and I took it in the shop. This guy is my trusted mechanic, I think.

He cleaned the carb, gen fired up but will only run for about 15 min and then it shuts off. Keep in mind I know nothing. He said that the board is bad. He is faulting and cutting off the flow from the fuel pump. He has tested the fuel pump on 12v power and it is all good.

Can a board go bad on a 3 yr old, 20 hr genny?
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
Old 07-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Latest update.

We got back from camping and I took it in the shop. This guy is my trusted mechanic, I think.

He cleaned the carb, gen fired up but will only run for about 15 min and then it shuts off. Keep in mind I know nothing. He said that the board is bad. He is faulting and cutting off the flow from the fuel pump. He has tested the fuel pump on 12v power and it is all good.

Can a board go bad on a 3 yr old, 20 hr genny?
My guess would be of course it can !!!
It could go bad the first day you use it !!!
Sounds to me like the guy maybe right about the board ???
If it were the Carb it probably would not run for 15 minutes !!!
You may want to look for a Cummings Repair Shop ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #26

When my genny would only run for a short time/intermittent it turned out to be the fuel pump. Good luck
zookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #27

He said the fuel pump works. He hooked it up to a separate 12v power and said no problem.

They are replacing the board and carb. Extended warranty covering all of the $1500 bill minus my $100 deductible.
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #28

That was just my experience. The pump according to the mobil tech said that sometimes they will operate intermittently when starting to go bad.
Nice you have the warranty.
zookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator