Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #1

Onan Generator running bad

We have an Onan quiet 4000 and it sat for some time. I think the fuel mucked up the carb. I could not get it to run originally, but I was able to open it up, spray carb cleaner in the component which sits in the float bowl (looked like an electronic jet system, and now it runs, but the idol is all over the place. I read online that we are unable to get a rebuild kit and now have to buy a whole new Carb. I am wondering if spending the $300+ for a new carb is what I should do or pay a company to fix it on their recommendation. Could it be something else? Never worked on an Onan Gen before.
Thx
nexcompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexcompac View Post
We have an Onan quiet 4000 and it sat for some time. I think the fuel mucked up the carb. I could not get it to run originally, but I was able to open it up, spray carb cleaner in the component which sits in the float bowl (looked like an electronic jet system, and now it runs, but the idol is all over the place. I read online that we are unable to get a rebuild kit and now have to buy a whole new Carb. I am wondering if spending the $300+ for a new carb is what I should do or pay a company to fix it on their recommendation. Could it be something else? Never worked on an Onan Gen before.
Thx

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	205910
Old 05-30-2019, 12:54 AM   #3

I would try a product called seafoam. Unhook your gas line and run off another small gass can mixed with the additive and see if It cleans it up.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:15 AM   #4

Carb

My experience with Onan 5500, I tried everything sometimes I thought I had generator fixed and it would die at the time I needed it. You didn't say how long it was sitting. They need to be run to keep carb clean. I would replace carb. My old carb would sound like it was stumbing, sprayed cleaner it would run good a bit then shut off 5-10 minutes later. When would put load on it would do the same thing.

Save your headaches change the carb. Easy to do.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 AM   #5

The low speed/Idle jets are still plugged up. You need to either remove the carb and have it tank cleaned or replace it. In the future as somebody already pointed out keep the proper mixture of SeaFoam in your gas tank at all times, never forget, never forget. Run the gen at least 30 minutes a month.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:33 AM   #6

Doesn't anyone use Sta-Bil in their fuel systems ? I mix it in a 3 gal can for my mower and snowblower. I put the mower away in the fall and it starts in the spring on the first or second pull. The snowblower starts on first or second pull in the winter. I don't drain gas anymore and have been doing this for 5 years now.

Name:   shopping.png
Views: 833
Size:  5.1 KB
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Doesn't anyone use Sta-Bil in their fuel systems ? I mix it in a 3 gal can for my mower and snowblower. I put the mower away in the fall and it starts in the spring on the first or second pull. The snowblower starts on first or second pull in the winter. I don't drain gas anymore and have been doing this for 5 years now.

Attachment 205918
Yep. I still use it in all my gas power tool tanks, and boat and atv, and tiller.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #8

Yes. Pull and tank clean or replace. Only way to get the small passages clear.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Yep. I still use it in all my gas power tool tanks, and boat and atv, and tiller.
Yeah...I use it on all my stuff. I haven't had a carb gum up in anything since I stopped draining the gas and started using Sta-bil.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:

Attachment 205918
That's the Iowa thought process in you Woldpaq. [emoji4] Same frame of mind for me. Use Sta-bil in everything and have the same results. Neighbor doesn't and he buys a new mower every 3-5 years. Mine is 17 years old.
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

One quick check: How much fuel do you have on board? When tank is down to half or a quarter, possibly depending on how level, the line to the genny could be above the gas.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #12

It sat for at least a 1/2 year without the Gen running. I pulled the Fuel line before the fuel pump/filter and ran gas mixed with sea-foam. No improvement.
Any recommendations on where the best place to buy a new carb is?
Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #13

Take that carb off, take it apart and give a good cleaning.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #14

My experience was with an Onan 5500. Similar symptoms to others above - replaced the carburetor and solved the problem. Less than a year later, couldn’t get genset started, and after much research, replaced a faulty fuel pump. Learned the lesson on the carburetor - run that generator at least once a month.
RVAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:

Attachment 205918
Same here. I also use supreme gas on all small engines. It's the ethanol in regular fuel that gums up carbs.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Same here. I also use supreme gas on all small engines. It's the ethanol in regular fuel that gums up carbs.

No need to run Premium fuel, just put 1oz of Seafoam for every gallon of regular gas and will not have a gummed up carb. Seafoam will clean the the carbon off the piston as it burns through as well. Sta-bil does nothing for your engine.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #17

x100 on the seafoam . mix up a strong mix of the seafoam with the gas and let it run .May take a good 30 mins of run time to start cleaning up the carb . just went thru this with a friends mower . after about 30 mins it now runs and starts like new .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
x100 on the seafoam . mix up a strong mix of the seafoam with the gas and let it run .May take a good 30 mins of run time to start cleaning up the carb . just went thru this with a friends mower . after about 30 mins it now runs and starts like new .

Thirty would be a minimum to me.

Seafoam is the best “snake oil” ever made. There is no telling how many million$ that stuff has saved...yes I sold it for 20 years.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Carbs have gummed up on regular and supreme gasoline long before ethanol was added. As the gas ages the combustible compounds evaporate and leaves a less volatile liquid behind. If left long enough it changes to a sticky substance before drying completely. Any antique car guy will tell you that.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Carbs have gummed up on regular and supreme gasoline long before ethanol was added. As the gas ages the combustible compounds evaporate and leaves a less volatile liquid behind. If left long enough it changes to a sticky substance before drying completely.
Yes and now because of ethanol it happens twice as fast
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan