Old 09-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

One last try

I need a simple answer to a basic 12v wiring question. An electrician told my DH to put a fuse on the wire from the battery + terminal to the rv fuse panel since it is a long wire run and FR did not use very heavy wire (maybe 14 gauge). He said it would protect the wire in case of a short and possibly prevent a fire.

DH just switched out original 12v group 24 battery for dual 12v group 29 batteries, and he is not sure if such a fuse is needed (there isn't one in the original wiring) since none of the videos/articles on parallel wiring dual batteries shows it. If it is, what size fuse should he use?

Posted this once before and got no responses so reposting with more info. Any help very much appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Reese Revolution
2008 GMC 2500 Diesel 4WD
tacullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacullen View Post
I need a simple answer to a basic 12v wiring question. An electrician told my DH to put a fuse on the wire from the battery + terminal to the rv fuse panel since it is a long wire run and FR did not use very heavy wire (maybe 14 gauge). He said it would protect the wire in case of a short and possibly prevent a fire.

DH just switched out original 12v group 24 battery for dual 12v group 29 batteries, and he is not sure if such a fuse is needed (there isn't one in the original wiring) since none of the videos/articles on parallel wiring dual batteries shows it. If it is, what size fuse should he use?

Posted this once before and got no responses so reposting with more info. Any help very much appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Are you sure there isn't a resettable fuse already there? Tell your husband to trace the wire from the battery back to the RV frame. There is usually one bolted to the frame.

EDIT: I thought I had saw Lou post up some pics this morning in another thread. Here is a link to it, that has pics of what you may be looking for.

Converter question

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Thanks very much. Just went out and checked and we do indeed have one. So he can now move on to adding more 12v outlets and an inverter! So many mods, so little time.
Reese Revolution
2008 GMC 2500 Diesel 4WD
tacullen is offline   Reply With Quote