Old 08-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Unhappy Only 1/2 the RV has power

I own a 50 amp 2015 Flagstaff. I am in a campground that only has 30 amp. The front half of the RV has power, but the back half does not. My power cord has two LED lights and only 1 is illuminated. I have checked all breakers both in the RV and on the power source. My understanding is that with 30 amp, I should be able to use everything, just not all at once. That if I used too many things, a breaker would blow. But that not what happened. There is no power, not just to appliances, but to the receptacles. Is there some kind of switch to change my RV from 50 amp mode to 30 amp mode? I'm totally puzzled. This is my first 50 amp trailer.

Txgrl4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
It sounds like the adapter you are using is not feeding power to both of your hot plugs on your 50amp cord. If you have a multimeter you could probe the output of the adapter to se if it is feeding both hot pins on the 50 amp side.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
How are you plugged to the 30 amp power pedestal??? Do you have a dogbone at end of your 50 amp RV cord???

Do you have an E.M.S. system installed? If so, what is it reading for L1 and L2?

There is no way to just change to 30 amp. It's a 50 amp trailer. But you can plug your 50 amp cord to a 30 amp receptacle with a dogbone, and just use 30 amps or less.

Describe how you're plugged and into what?
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
I have an adapter from 50 to 30. I'm gonna borrow my neighbors adapter and see what happens? What is an ems system?
Old 08-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
Site Team
Check your breaker and fuses. You may have tripped breaker or even blown a fuse. Last time had power issues like you describe, it was because we had hooked our battery up backwards and blown 3 fuses.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
Checked all the breakers and fuses first thing, but thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Site Team
It sounds like your 50-30 adapter is not working correct.

A 50 amp RV like yours has TWO 120 volt legs feeding it....each at 50 amps a piece (100 amps total). This is called your L1 and L2 legs/lines.

When using an adapter to plug into a 30 amp outlet. then you only have a L1 line, at 30 amps total. This single L1 line has to provide power to your 50 amp RV's L1 and L2 sides. The way the adapter works is that it jumps (shares) the L1 over onto the L2 inside the adapter, so that everything is powered in your RV, but just from the L1 leg/line that is available at the 30 amp outlet.

According to your power cord lights and symptoms, it appears that the adapter is not jumping the L1 over onto the L2 internally, so you only have half (the L1) the stuff getting power.....and the L2 is not getting power.

Try your friends adapter and see if that fixes it. If so, then you know what the problem is, and to get another adapter.

Also remember that even though when using the adapter for your 50 amp RV, that everything is powered, you are now limited in total amps. You went from 100 amps down to 30 amps. You will NOT be able to use everything in your RV at the same time, like you did when you were connected to a 50 amp outlet. Usually this means only one air conditioner can be turned on. and it's best to use your water heater on propane only if applicable. Since your power capability has decreased by over two/thirds, you have to adjust your power usage.

These schematics may help you understand the adapter (with it's internal jumper wire from L1 to L2) and how it powers both legs/lines from a single 30 amp L1. On the first schematic it shows how a 30 amp and then 50 amp outlet are powered. The last one on the far right, is the adapter you are using, with it's internal jumper from the L1 to the L2.

The second schematic shows how your 50 amp RV has TWO 50 amp legs feeding it, and why you are only getting power to one line/leg..

The third schematic shows how a 50 amp and 30 amp outlet are provided power from an electrical service.

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
Thank you so much! You guys saved my trip. It was indeed the adapter! Plugged a different one in and everything came right on. Thank so much for taking your time to help. It means alot.