Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Only some outlets work?

2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS
For some reason, only some of the electrical outlets are working. The outlet under the table and the 3 outlets near the front bunkout don't have any power. The back bunkout, bathroom gcfi, and outlet near the stove all have power. I checked the breakers and fuses nd all seems to be in order. All appliances (fridge, stove, air conditioner) all work fine. Outside outlet also works. I haven't noticed any drain on the battery but we are plugged into shore power most of the time. I haven't heard the converter fan kick in but it isn't under heavy load either. Seems odd that it would be the converter if some of the outlets work. All worked fine the first couple of times out this year but just stopped working part way through the third trip for no known reason.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Sounds like a GFCI tripped somewhere in the circuitry. Check to see if one of those outlets (or a hidden one, like the one by the water heater) is a GFCI. If that isn't the problem, you may have to follow some wiring and open up some outlets to look for a lost connection. The el-cheapo outlets used by Rockwood only have a friction connection for the wiring, so it could be easy for a wire to wiggle or vibrate loose.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I lost count but it sounds like you have 8 outlets or so in total?
That sounds like you could have 2 separate circuits.
I'm gonna guess with Chris and say you probably have 2 gfi outlets and one of them
is tripped. Look carefully at all outlets and see if you maybe have another that needs
resetting.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Yes, I have 8 outlets in total, 4 of which work. I have checked the trailer up and down for a second gcfi but can't find one. Is there any wiring schematic that would identify where they would be located?

I will start looking at the outlets next. I suspect it makes sense to start with the one closest to the breaker panel since i am am guessing they are hooked all together and when one goes out, the rest in the line behind it likely go out. I gather they can be replaced with normal outlets from any hardware store like HD or Lowes?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

I have one outlet wired to an inverter to run my television when I don't have shore/generator power. I know when I traded in my last trailer, my dealer installed the inverter on my new trailer. I'm sure whoever bought my last trailer is wondering why one outlet isn't working. It seems excessive for someone to have 4 outlets wired to an inverter, but its worth looking into.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

chrisallen21 give this a try. I would check the last outlet working for power at both receptacles. If they are wired in series chances are the top one will work and the bottom will not. this will not let power go to the rest of the circuit. They have a fuse link between them and if you had a load on that circuit then it could have popped the link. Good luck with that.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies so far. Both top and bottom outlets work on each of the last outlets that work so no joy there. All of the outlets worked up until a few weeks ago so I don't think they are wired differently.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallen21
Thanks for all the replies so far. Both top and bottom outlets work on each of the last outlets that work so no joy there. All of the outlets worked up until a few weeks ago so I don't think they are wired differently.
Front outlets will not be GFCI, all you mentioned "must" be GFCI. In the panel, another CB will be marked "Front or fwd outlets" it will be 15 or maybe 20 amp rating It will be a flip circuit breaker, not a fuse. Start at this point. Verify the 120 AC is powering the circuit, the next point if ok will be the nearest outlet heading away from this panel. Continue downstream but should be at the breaker or the first outlet with an open. Should not be necessary to change the outlets, they're UL approved and tons are in service.

One other possibility, in the motorhomes they used junction boxes to keep the cable runs shorter. They are located behind furniture, in cabs, etc. If you find no loose connections look for these. Check white leads as well as black for conn.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

Sorry for the long time before replying but I waited for a repair guy to fix the problem which never happened. I finally discovered the root cause of the problem. It turns out that the wire going from the last working outlet inside the trailer then runs to the outside outlet. The outside outlet was the source of the problem in that the when I wiggled the wires going into it, the power to the outlets after it (the 4 outlets in the front of the trailer would get power). When I looked at the outside outlet, it holds the wires by pinching them between connectors rather than a normal outlet that you push wires into holes at the back or fasten around screws. I would like to replace this obtuse outlet with a regular outlet but the way the current outlet attaches (using clips on the backside) is different than what a normal outlet attaches with. I hesitate to drill holes as there isn't much to screw into in the walls. Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallen21
Sorry for the long time before replying but I waited for a repair guy to fix the problem which never happened. I finally discovered the root cause of the problem. It turns out that the wire going from the last working outlet inside the trailer then runs to the outside outlet. The outside outlet was the source of the problem in that the when I wiggled the wires going into it, the power to the outlets after it (the 4 outlets in the front of the trailer would get power). When I looked at the outside outlet, it holds the wires by pinching them between connectors rather than a normal outlet that you push wires into holes at the back or fasten around screws. I would like to replace this obtuse outlet with a regular outlet but the way the current outlet attaches (using clips on the backside) is different than what a normal outlet attaches with. I hesitate to drill holes as there isn't much to screw into in the walls. Any suggestions?
Toggle bolts?
Nut serts?

Tags
converter, electrical