Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstanton View Post
The model is WDT31BH....I only have 1 GFCI outlet with the test and reset button by the bathroom sink and it works properly
I am dealing with a similar issue. Have you found any solution?
SSminnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #22

Did you try replacing GFCI?

I would try replacing the GFCI even thought it seems to function.

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
I would try replacing the GFCI even thought it seems to function.
Thanks they are trying that now
SSminnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #24

Daisy-chained

Quote:
The model is WDT31BH....I only have 1 GFCI outlet with the test and reset button by the bathroom sink and it works properly
GFCI outlets are designed so you can "daisy-chain" from them. That is, you run black, white, and ground (green or bare) into them. You continue the white and ground onto the downstream outlets, but not the black.

Instead, there's a different hot connection coming from the GFCI outlet. It could be a different terminal, or a red pigtail. If that is run to the downstream outlets, they will also be protected and can trip the GFCI.

Given the fault you've described (GFCI works, downstream outlets don't), it could be any of these:
  • GFCI defective, no power on red terminal/pigtail. Check voltage of red-to-white to confirm.
  • Connection of red terminal/pigtaail to downstream outlet at GFCI end.
  • Through connection of white wire at GFCI outlet
  • Connection of black wire (corresponds to "red") at next downstream outlet
  • Connection of white wire at next downstream outlet

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #25
Another adventure awaits!

I feel your pain ... we have just taken ownership of a 2018 Columbus Compass 2018 377MB which I was initially excited about ... you noticed I said initially ... among other things, very disappointed in the wiring in this trailer. Plugged an induction cook top in kitchen outlet and then a toaster other side of the room ... blew the circuit ... husband reset ... then he took the toaster outside and plugged it in the outlet on side of trailer ... and again, the circuit blew ... and no, the air conditioning was not running, nor were any other appliances being used at the time ... seems there are 5 or so outlets affected when the circuit blew ... so frustrated ... never had this issue with our Sabre 33CKTS ... contacted the dealership and they said that it is GFI issue which they are willing to help us resolve, if/when we bring the trailer back for servicing. Hopefully they can fix it so we can run more than one small appliance at a time.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #26

My thoughts: 1) As Flybob stated in post #6 and the attached link, those mobile home, RV type electrical outlet/connectors are built so that little brass triangular shaped probes actually pierce for a connection. You would lay the wire in the outlet without stripping the wire, snap the outlet closed and the connection is (should be) made. I have seen many of these type outlets where one (1) of those little probes have melted and caused problems down stream of the faulty outlet. 2) You stated "I have power up to the GFCI but then not after". That falls into what I just stated. There is a possibility that using two load factors, appliances, on one circuit could overload the circuit and get the wiring hot enough to cause one of those little probes to burn out. That would allow the GFCI to still work but not allow any outlets down stream to work. Turn ALL 120vAC power OFF, actually pull the shore power cord, remove the GFCI outlet, open it up and look at those little probes carefully.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #27
D W

Quote:
There's only 1 GFCI outlet...there's 10 outlets total 8 on inside 1 is GFCI...and 2 outside neither is GFCI
The outside outlet isn't always a GFCI device outlet. If not, it is a GFCI "controlled" outlet. Typically, the actual GFCI devices are in the kitchen and bathroom.

Oh, and never by-pass a GFCI device until you determine why nothing is passing through it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
I feel your pain ... we have just taken ownership of a 2018 Columbus Compass 2018 377MB which I was initially excited about ... you noticed I said initially ... among other things, very disappointed in the wiring in this trailer. Plugged an induction cook top in kitchen outlet and then a toaster other side of the room ... blew the circuit ... husband reset ... then he took the toaster outside and plugged it in the outlet on side of trailer ... and again, the circuit blew ... and no, the air conditioning was not running, nor were any other appliances being used at the time ... seems there are 5 or so outlets affected when the circuit blew ... so frustrated ... never had this issue with our Sabre 33CKTS ... contacted the dealership and they said that it is GFI issue which they are willing to help us resolve, if/when we bring the trailer back for servicing. Hopefully they can fix it so we can run more than one small appliance at a time.
Induction cooktops and toasters are not 'small' appliances.
You need to isolate them onto separate circuits.
Running them both on the same circuit, protected by the same breaker (even though they are different outlets) will overload the circuit every time. Doesn't sound like a GFCI issue at all.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Flipped them multiple times hoping for that result but to no avail....the GFCI outlet works like it should...this would all be easier if they fricken had wiring diagrams for these beasts
It's just like your house. On a GFCI protected circuit, the GFCI device is the first outlet off of the main. The GFCI has two sets of terminals, the MAIN connections, and the LOAD connections. The LOAD wires go to the next outlet. Measure your voltage at the MAIN connections. If no voltage then the problem is between the service panel and the GFCI outlet. If you have voltage then shut off all power and check LOAD to LOAD & Neutral to neutral continuity to other outlets. Use a multimeter and an extension cord. That's the easiest way to find opens.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #30

You may have to trace the daisy chain from one outlet to the next. If the first outlet works, the IN is good, but also look at the OUT to be sure it is tight. Then follow the chain. One of our basement compartments has a GFCI outlet and a TV connector besides the well known one in the bathroom. A picture of my favorite outlet tester is included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GFCI Tester.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	178840  
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #31

I had this happen and after trying everything I figured out a capacitor blew in my Main Board Assembly in my converter. When I took out the main board I could see the capacitor that fried. You must disconnect the batteries if you take out the main board.
I purchased one on Amazon and installed it myself. $140.
WF-8955-MBA 55 DC Amp Replacement Main Board Assembly
chickonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #32

FYI

That one GFCI is probably supporting the other outlets,any fault weather it is a bad connection,short etc will effect the others,what ya have to do is open every outlet and inspect it,i had a couple go bad and ended up replacing all of them with residential outlets from the hardware store....good luck.....
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #33

I think you for sure have more than one GFI . Also it is hard to get people to understand but turning off your breaker and then resetting it requires you to push it off hard .....hard ... all the way . Not just flipped to off . Push it hard off then on . Good luck
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets