Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Over watered the batteries

So last night I found documentation on what level the water should be in the batteries. I let out a groan because I had just filled my Trojans up past the bottom of the neck of both batteries. Not much but I read that it is only supposed to be 1/4" or so above the plates. Or, about 1/8" below the fill neck.

Could somebody tell me if this causes a permanent effect on the batteries? From what I've read I have diluted the electrolyte which will affect (reduce) the amount of charge. I had read a few places that I could just equalize the batteries and cook off the excess water but I value the forum's input.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No, I don't think you have caused permanent damage to the batteries. There could be overflow the next time you charge, however, and that could damage whatever it sits on, but you just need to clean it up in a timely manner.

As far as the point about reducing the charge, its true that in an overfilled condition, the battery will underperform and not deliver its proper level of energy. All you need to do is correct the amount you have in there to the recommended level. Just take some out.

IIRC, my Trojan manual states to fill 1/8" below the vent or to the max level indicator. Remember; fill only after fully charging your batteries and use only distilled or deionized water.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

x2. Have some patients and that extra water will evaporate
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Distilled water was used. I wasn't sure if I could just suck some back out (not with lips and siphon hose) without effecting the concentration of the electrolyte or charge it back out via evaporation.

Thank you for the input.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I definitely would not get my mouth near the battery acid (I know you didn't plan to do that )

I typically use my battery hydrometer, which is used to test for specific gravity. It has a bulb on the end and requires you to suck up the liquid to test. I just wouldn't replace the acid back into the cell. Take out enough to get to the level you need. A turkey baster will work, too.

You can subsequently use the hydrometer to test the battery charge (A hydrometer reading of 1.277 or greater indicates full charge for Trojan batteries) and to make sure there is no variation between the cells. A specific gravity variation of more than 0.050 between cells in a battery means the battery should be equalized.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Thanks for reminding me I need to buy a rubber battery apron.

Another pair of pants and my shirt ruined when I rewired my battery compartment for the solar. ANY acid will either "bleach" or burn holes through clothes.

Won't do your skin or eyes much good either. (rubber gloves and face shield)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

You guys are awesome. Not that the thought of taking another day off of work and driving 100+ miles to purchase another $400+ set of batteries doesn't make me giggle like a little school girl.