Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Overhead LED's

We just purchased a 2017 Evo T2700 in June, and already one of the LED lights in the ceiling appears to be burning out!

At first, I noticed it would do the slightest flicker from time to time. Then, one day I went to turn it on, and there was barely any light coming out of it. Just one strip of LEDs was barely giving off anything. It is the light at the front of the unit, in the ceiling, in front of the TV in the living room area. I am concerned, too, because the light over the kitchen window and over the couch seem to be doing that same faint flicker, as well. It's so strange, we have kept it off and now when we turn it on to check it, it's either that one strip really faint that's on, or all of them can be seen with barely any light out of them.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? All three lights with issues are in the same area of the trailer. And, we are currently unable to take the trailer in to have it checked out.

I have attached a picture of how the light looks when we turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	375.5 KB
ID:	121219  
m1ssm0rgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #2

Maybe its a voltage thing you may have to trace the wires back to where they are connected to power and ensure the connection is tight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Question ... are running on battery power, or with the power converter ("shore power") ??
IF the latter ... then ... do you have the battery in-circuit, or disconnected ??
(Your dealer should have shown you where the batter disconnect switch is at delivery.)

Reason asking ... if you are on shore power, and especially if that AND the battery NOT in-circuit, the voltage from the converter can run a bit on the high side ...

"Normally" the LED's should have 20,000 to 50,000 hour life spans ... but heat and over-voltage de-rate that significantly.

If you check carefully, it is probably not difficult to open the lens of the light fixtures, you will find a plug-in LED light device. Replacements are readily available ... be it at your RV Dealer, an auto parts store, or even places like Wally World. Here is our "trick" ... they are way, WAY cheaper online (i.e. eBay) ... to the point where you can treat them as "consumable" light bulbs.

Be GENTLE / Patient opening lens cover ...

Included some typical LED's but there are many others ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T10-24-SMD-NEW-721.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	121242  
Attached Images

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!

We are currently plugged in with the battery disconnected. I will have to do some looking at them today to see what I can find. We do not have the lights on during the day most times, we usually open the windows for light. And in the evenings I only have them on for a few hours before turning everything off for bed. I hope the last few months haven't burned them out already. But it is definitely a possibility from what you're describing.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Why are you plugged in with the battery disconnected?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Why are you plugged in with the battery disconnected?
That's what we were told to do by the staff we got the trailer from when we picked it up. They said if we are plugged in, we do not need to keep the battery on too because we are using the power from the site. Should we have the battery on? We are new to this, so I just trusted what the guy told us.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #7

Yes, turn on / connect battery !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

They are wrong. Always have the battery connected when you are using your RV. If you store it for days or more you can turn it off to keep the "parasitic" loads (Co detector, radio, etc from killing your battery. Otherwise keep it turned on.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

It's on!

Thanks for that.

Tags
led