Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Park Power Connection

My Wildwood TT has a 30A Marinco removable power/cable system. Ever since it was new, the ring on the male cable connector that plugs into the trailer has had trouble grasping enough threads to tighten the plug securely into the trailer. The ring only has about 1/4 inch or so of threads available to tighten up on the trailer fitting. Although it won't tighten the plug in, it will grab enough to keep it from falling out. My problem is that (1) I am afraid one of these days the connection will start arcing as it is not really tight in the trailer fitting or (2) being that it is directly below the city water connection point, a small leak will develop and get into the plug causing a short. I know the female connector / threads on the trailer are good as when in storage, I connect a Marinco 30a to 15a adapter to the trailer for power from an shop 15a outlet. This adapter tightens in securely as I believer the 30a on the power cable should. Short of buying a new Marinco cable, does anyone know of a fix for the cable plug (new tightening ring) or have another idea..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0744.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24369  
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

You could try swapping the ring from the 30 x 15 adapter to see if that works on the Marinco cord.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

Swapping Rings

Will give that a try IF I can get them off without breaking them...Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

If I remember correctly, the Marinco should be twisted clockwise after being inserted. That effectively locks the plug into the connector, preventing it from coming out until it is rotated counterclockwise.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

I have the same plug on my RV. My plug, you have to push in and then twist plug and then screw in black ring. Check to make sure all the screws holding the plug box are screwed in all the way. My ring is up against the screws when tightened.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

X2 on the same set-up plug into trl and then twist clockwise to lock, I then can twist the black plastic locking nut 4-5 turns to secure the plug.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

My dad has that same setup. On his motorhome its easier to pull back the rubber boot and plug in. Remember that plug is the same as any other twistlock polg in that it needs to be inserted and then tisted to lock. Once its locked you can slide the boot over it and tighten the ring.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Worst case you can buy a new end. While expensive, if you are handy, you can change it out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I had the same trouble--------------

I had the same trouble with the ring not being able to tighten. Forest River replaced the whole power cable under warranty. The replacement cable was black and 5' shorter.

I was able to remove the over sized ring from the original yellow cable, purchased a yellow cover and ring from camping world. The yellow cover was very easy to remove from the black ring from Camping World. With some elbow grease, screw driver blade, I was able to remove the ring from the orignal yellow cable, replaced it with the ring from camping world. It now fits tight onto the fitting on my RV>

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Same thing as boats - try to use BOTH hands when tightening the sealing ring. For some reason, known only to engineers with whom the developers are friendly, using both hands will allow you to maintain alignment and keep the ring even when getting it started. Try it one day, you'll be surprised.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #11

Mine don't wanna tighten up either. I chalked it up as a POS.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Same thing as boats - try to use BOTH hands when tightening the sealing ring. For some reason, known only to engineers with whom the developers are friendly, using both hands will allow you to maintain alignment and keep the ring even when getting it started. Try it one day, you'll be surprised.
You are correct that if I use both hands, and lots of pressure, I can get a few threads to grab hold and secure the connection.. but not like the Marinco 15a connector grabs hold and threads in. I believe that the connector on my 30a cord is an aftermarket (non Marinco) type and just doesn't have the depth on the locking ring to do the job correctly. I am going to try to swap the locking rings and see what happens.. A new Marinco plug is an option or even a new cable all together and make the old one into a 30a extension by changing the questionable connector with an extension type.
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.