Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #21

I've done this before, plugged in my 30A TT unit to a 20A plug. Just be sure to use a good adapter that plugs up good and tight, a loose adapter may cause sparking and melting of your plug. I even ran the AC unit and the furnace when plugged into the 20A and had no problems, and it was a 20A GFCI outlet I was plugged into. Your water hose won't freeze either if you heat tape it, then put styrofoam insulation over both.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfu01 View Post
Any tips on surviving on 20 amps in a 30 amp trailer? Also looking to run a couple extra extension cords in the trailer. Is the slide the best access spot for that? I will also have a 75 foot run of water hose to the trailer. Is there anything you can do to keep it from freezing other than leaving a faucet on? Additional tidbits appreciated.

Thanks

2015.5 salem 30QBSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
for the hose go to the nearest big box building supply house and bu enough of the foam insulation for pipes. 1" ought to cover the hose so you can simply buy enough lengths to cover it completely from end to end. Don't forget to wrap the faucet with something so it doesn't freeze either.

I added a 120 volt receptacle in an older camper I had so my wife's hair dryer would not blow the breaker if the AC or Microwave were running. I came up inside the bottom of the propane bottle, through the wall of the pass through and up into the bathroom cabinet where I put the receptacle on the side. As long as it was on a separate circuit from the main 30 amp service I had no problems. you could conceivably do the same thing. On every good safety tip if you do though, NO CONNECTIONS OF ANY KIND in the propane area, we all know what a spark could do if there happened to be a leak!!!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #23

Sorry to hear about the family medical issues. Those are always difficult. Good idea on the water tank. You will just have to try the home electrical circuit. Surely it will at least charge the battery and perhaps more. I'm sure you can make it work.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #24

How long will you be here? If it's more than a couple of days, I'd be more concerned about dumping my grey and black water tanks than about keeping the hose from freezing.
PTaylor883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #25

I had an issue when I plugged in a device that had it's own GFI into a receptacle that had GFI protection - would constantly trip falsely.

Tags
parking