Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #1

Partial 12v loss

Was bringing in the bedroom slide (Schwintek) and suddenly it stopped. I hit the button again and it came in a little bit more and then stopped again. None of the slides work now. Landing gear is good. Awning will extend and retract.

Also, every few seconds there is a click in the battery compartment, the lights dim . The device that is clicking is attached as an image. The bottom lead goes to the positive side of the battery (image is rotated counter-clockwise).

I replaced the battery (it was old). The results are the same.

My question...What is the device called in the picture? And if it is bad would it cause the behavior I am describing?

-- 2012 Crusader 355BHQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3240.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	87805  
GCShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

They dont clean powder coated frames very well when they attach the most important piece of your electrical system which is the ground , everything goes back to the grounded frame,ac,dc.Find it,clean both ends ,apply inhibitor,reinstall and see if that fixes your problem,5 bucks and an hour should do it.
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Pulled this little guy out. It looks like a fuse of some sort. It was clicking every few secs. Back plate was burned and one side was disconnected. Is this a fuse of some sort?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441416258.458645.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	87813

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

What you are showing in the picture is an automatic resetting circuit breaker. It's either weak and tripping or doing its job and preventing an over amperage draw. What are the two wires going to? They are a larger gauge than the single coming into the circuit breaker. Find out exactly what both are, one should be your bedroom slide, the other being your other slide perhaps? Find out what each of the amperage draws are supposed to be and somewhere on that circuit breaker should be its rating of how many amps it will trip out on. If the two heavier gauge wires are going to two separate slides and the clicking goes on repeatedly without you trying to move a slide, I'd say one slide switch may be stuck in the on position. Over heats the breaker and trips it
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. The fuse is 30A

Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

I'd check your slide switches to make sure one isn't stuck in the run position. Without trying to move either slide it shouldn't be tripping and resetting constantly. You have voltage flowing on one of those two circuits coming off that breaker. Also, I'm always suspicious of two circuits sharing the same breaker, especially when they are an obviously heavier gauge than the hot line coming from the battery.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJofWolfcreek View Post
I'd check your slide switches to make sure one isn't stuck in the run position. Without trying to move either slide, it shouldn't be tripping and resetting constantly. You have voltage flowing on one of those two circuits coming off that breaker. Also, I'm always suspicious of two circuits sharing the same breaker, especially when they are an obviously heavier gauge than the hot line coming from the battery.
I agree with CJofWolfcreek. No two circuits should share the same breaker or fuse. Each should be on it's own breaker or fuse.
It does sound like you have a switch stuck in the on position. You should add a second breaker and individually check each circuit IMHO
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #8

Will do. Thanks!