Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
I’m confused. Why would 50 amp service require larger wire than 30 amp service. I’d think it would be the other way around. Why? Because 30 amp service is being provided on a single 30 amp hot leg, when 50 amp service is coming in on two 25 amp legs. The only wire that would need to be bigger is the neutral to handle both of the hot legs.

I’m not an electrical engineer (my brother is), but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express not long ago. [emoji6]
Have your brother explain "ohm's law". ( oh, wait, he's an engineer. Better ask an electrician)

30 amp service is 30amps 120 volts #10 cu wire/8 alm.

50 amps is 50amps 240 vots # 6 cu/4 alm
You get 2- 50 amp legs, not 2- 25 amp legs.

It is 240 volts at the pedestal. When it gets to your trailer it is distributed in such a way that you cannot access the 240 volts only 120 volts each leg L1- 50 amps 120 volts. L2- 50 amps 120 volts.

you will hear some say "That's 100 amps" 120 volts. Technicly the neutral should be bigger than the hots but that's for another forum.

Them Holiday will get you in trouble every time
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #42

Got it. Thanks. On my boat w/240v-50 amp service, I’ve got two 120v sides and I really should look at the ratings on the breakers to see what each leg is carrying. Then I wouldn’t have made my uneducated comment. Not like it will be the last time I do that.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #43

I got to a CG this past Thursday and hooked up and immediately got an E1 (cross polarity) code. I just plugged into the neighboring site. I spoke to the office and told them and although they were surprised and said no one has ever had a problem they called in an electrician who arrived at about 8pm. The neutral wire wasn’t even connected and the hot was on the neutral side of the plug. It was a quick fix and I was grateful for the ems and for the CG to call in an electrician. I wouldn’t be without one and I wonder how many times I hooked up before having one that I rolled the dice.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Got it. Thanks. On my boat w/240v-50 amp service, I’ve got two 120v sides and I really should look at the ratings on the breakers to see what each leg is carrying. Then I wouldn’t have made my uneducated comment. Not like it will be the last time I do that.
Each leg is carrying 50 amps just like your trailer. I don't know how Boat panels are wired. I just never have worked on a boat. At least not one with an A/C electric service If your boat has more that one 2 pole breaker in it than it's has 240 volt service.

Both services are 50 amp each leg, the difference is how it is distributed at the panel. It's confusing.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #45

I very thankful for all of the replies. School was in session this weekend an I know I learned several things as well did others. I wish this APP had "like" buttons so we could click them on good reply posts.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Each leg is carrying 50 amps just like your trailer. I don't know how Boat panels are wired. I just never have worked on a boat. At least not one with an A/C electric service If your boat has more that one 2 pole breaker in it than it's has 240 volt service.

Both services are 50 amp each leg, the difference is how it is distributed at the panel. It's confusing.
Cavie:

You are correct about campground wiring as I have seen it several times, but I do have a question.

Wouldn't switching to 50A outlet resolve the issue if the problem was local at the breaker or plug connection? Sure the campground can just swap them but will they and when would be my question. That is the only reason I see swapping outlets resolve the voltage drop problem.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Cavie:

You are correct about campground wiring as I have seen it several times, but I do have a question.

Wouldn't switching to 50A outlet resolve the issue if the problem was local at the breaker or plug connection? Sure the campground can just swap them but will they and when would be my question. That is the only reason I see swapping outlets resolve the voltage drop problem.
Swapping outlets will work if there is a problem Local as you say, with the 30 amp such as missed wired. loose connections. etc. Most low voltage comes from too small of wire size and too long of a run for that size wire. Doesn't matter whether it 30 amps or 50 amps. The pedestals come from the main panel. The same distance away. Usually from a 100 amp main. Should be no more than 4 peds on each. Sometimes moving to the 50 amp will work. Sometimes it won't. Depends on how crowded the camp is and with which size services are being used. There is no steadfast answer. The 50's and the 30's all come from the same place.

Some peds have a 50 and a 30 and a 20. If the wire is too small all of them will have low voltage. Such is the case in my camp.

Tags
power, voltage