Old 12-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #131

Glad the install worked out well for you. It will be interesting to see your daily useage and how much the single panel cuts into that on a sunny day.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #132

Thanks. We're planning to take our big cross country trip when we sell our house, hopefully in February. We'll see then, obviously the longer the day the more electric is generated. We'll make adjustments as we go along. At any rate I built expansion into the system.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #133

Has anyone heard or had anything to do with these guys?

Seems to be the right fit for my camper, inverter, campsites.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...cs-controller/

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #134

I hooked up my solar panel today!

There were a few problems. I didn't crimp some of the connectors properly and therefore did not have current reaching the controller (fortunately I bought extras). I took my multimeter and quickly discovered where the problem was. I redid the bad connections and hooked everything up and Voila!

It was late afternoon by the time I got it together and working. Tomorrow morning I'll let it charge all day and see what happens.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncowgirl View Post
We own a Tracer Air 252 trailer. The trailer came equipped with an Exide group 24 dual purpose marine battery. We've found that even without using lights (we're planning to upgrade to LED) that we had to run the generator every day when camping without shore power.

Since our plans are to do a lot of boondocking and camping in national parks and forests, etc. we want to upgrade our battery capacity and add a portable solar panel and use the generator for backup when solar fails.

The battery bracket is on the tongue behind the gas canisters. It consists of two pieces of L iron, the shorter of which is 26" set 9" apart welded onto the tongue from underneath (I'm a bit concerned about the strength)

The cheapest option would be to add another group 24 battery. I'd like to go with a true deep cycle battery instead of a dual purpose. Can I mix the two or would I have to buy two deep cycle batteries?

I'm also looking at the possibility of going with two 6 volt golf cart batteries. These should fit in the space we have and give us more power. Batteries Plus near me sells Duracell 6 volt batteries at a pretty good price. This would be more expensive but give us more battery for the buck.

At any rate, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I went with the battery plus duracells. The 230 amp/hr fro $99 with the 10% online discount. (one other member just got these also). I haven't really used them yet. Duracell's are made by the same company that makes Deka's (East Penn). I bought an inline box like this one below to put them on the tongue, pretty much like your tongue.

Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)
Old 03-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #136

I went the 6V golf cart batteries route after my dual 12V Interstate install from the dealer crapped out. I bought mine at Costco (Costco-tagged batteries rated highly by Consumer Reports) for $75 each, including tax, and after turning in the old 12V. Rated at 232AH, which gives me 116AH usable instead of 80AH usable from the 12V. Plug and play into my existing battery box - the 6V actually fit better. But I did measure before I bought to make sure they fit. The golf cart batteries do weigh more - adds another 50# of tongue weight or so. And I had to rig a rope lifting handle to set them/get them out of the battery box.

But I am a very happy camper with the new batteries. Especially if I get 5 years + out of them.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #137

You can get these for about 5 bucks. I got mine with the batteries. Makes handling those big batteries easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Golf-Ba.../dp/B00JA0FXKS
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncowgirl View Post
The battery bracket is on the tongue behind the gas canisters. It consists of two pieces of L iron, the shorter of which is 26" set 9" apart welded onto the tongue from underneath (I'm a bit concerned about the strength)
I was looking at this today as I'm ready to install my new battery box and the two six volt batteries. The angle iron you mentioned on mine has one weld on each end where the angle iron meets the frame. They did not weld the angle iron on the bottom of the frame. So I share your concern. I debating whether I want to weld the bottom (overhead) on each side. that would pretty much insure the frame won't break. I think it's ok as is but i'd ate to drop batteries and battery acid all over the trailer and road.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I was looking at this today as I'm ready to install my new battery box and the two six volt batteries. The angle iron you mentioned on mine has one weld on each end where the angle iron meets the frame. They did not weld the angle iron on the bottom of the frame. So I share your concern. I debating whether I want to weld the bottom (overhead) on each side. that would pretty much insure the frame won't break. I think it's ok as is but i'd ate to drop batteries and battery acid all over the trailer and road.
If you think it should be done then do it, you know Murphy's law....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. If I went with the six volt batteries the frame would need reinforcement.

Tags
battery, upgrade