Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
We always keep our RV plugged into shore power when not on the road. We are fortunate to have enough room in our back driveway to park our 35-foot fifth-wheel, and we use it often as a guest house for family and friends who visit from time to time.

We always check all electrical systems, including battery fluid levels, on a regular basis, mostly monthly, to make sure everything is ready for our next RV trip.
Checking battery fluid level is the main thing, even the maintenance free ones. For me, only concern is leaving the fridge on AC for extended periods. Had to replace the AC element on our TT RV fridge this spring. Not cheap or easy but doable. We now empty our new RV fridge and keep it off but keep house power on the remainder without issue.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #22

3 RV's from 2010 to 2018 model year. All kept plugged in 24/7. Never boiled a battery, never had to add water to a battery. If your converter is working correctly, it will only charge the battery as needed and will not boil the battery.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #23
Princess Kelea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsimmons56 View Post
I have an EV charger and use that to get my RV ready for the road, can run the a/c as well on those 95/100+ degree days.
What's an EV charger? Newbie here.
Princess Kelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #24

I have mine plugged in at home with a 30 amp box, I have been doing this for atleast 10 years, never a problem, I check my water level in The batteries about every other month, no problem yet. My advantage is I set my AC at 80 degrees so I don’t have big temperature swings in it. So if your wire size and electrical is correct I don’t see any problem at all

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #25

My last two campers have been plugged in pretty much 24/7 365 days a year. About the only time it isn't is when it's on the road to and from a campground. I try to make a habit of checking the battery water electrolyte level once every month or so, but I haven't ever had to add any. Since I'm fortunate to be able to keep my camper at home I'm in there throughout the year, sometimes just to hang out. I also keep the fridge on from April to October and stocked with snacks and drinks.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kelea View Post
What's an EV charger? Newbie here.
Ok me too ?? Electric Vehicle Charger ??
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #27

I am fortunate to have a dedicated garage on my property for my 5th wheel. I have 50 amp shore power hooked up all year and keep the fridge on most of the camping season. I have never had issues with the battery being on constant charge 24x7x365...5 years now on the original battery and still going strong. I do check the water levels periodically and had to add very little on occasion. I run the AC when I am working inside during the summer...and the electric fireplace when I am out there in the winter months...watching football in my man cave!
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:01 AM   #28

I have a 2016 Mini lite 2104s .I had the trailer on a job site plugged in for most of its life except for a few trips . It’s on its 3rd battery . The last 2 batteries were overcharging . The trailer is now at home .I am thinking about just laying a solar panel on the roof and dropping some wires down to the battery .Just take it off when I go on a trip .
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:45 AM   #29

Plugged in all the time when at home

I've got a FR3 29 DS class A Motorhome. When at home, it's usually stored in our community's storage facility. When I bring it to the house, I do plug it in so that the A/C can run while I'm working in it. Never had a problem with batteries boiling over or running out of water. Think about it; when traveling, you get to a site, plug into shore power and sit there for days (sometimes weeks) on end and the house batteries do fine. Yep, you've got to check them for sufficient water levels about once a month but that is part of normal periodic maintenance (PM)>

This paragraph is WHY i'm putting up this post. You must ensure that the extension cord you are using to go from your 15/20 amp plug to the unit HAS BIG ENOUGH CAPACITY (thick enough wire as designated by wire gauge size) TO HANDLE THE CURRENT/AMPERAGE YOU ARE GOING TO USE WHILE PLUGGED IN. In my case, that is a 50 foot max length, 12 gauge single receptacle plug. My A/C unit draws 14.7 amps to start and uses about 13.8 amps while just running. If I used a 100' 14 gauge extension cord, there is too much resistance to deliver the necessary volts/amps needed. You can do a Google search to learn what size electric "Pipe" (extension cord) you need.

I put 2 and 2 together after listening to Mike Sokol (RV Electricity and RV Travel) while at the Int'l FROG rally this year. If you don't understand the electrical issues, Mike's articles on those websites / newsletters are very well written so that a school kid could understand how you stay alive while using electricity. Read and understand what Mike preaches and you'll keep yourself from getting shocked and also might protect the electronics inside your unit. Ohm's Law is the basics and then how the current is delivered comes from that.
sjohnsonmbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #30
Herschel

Plugged in all the time when at home

I keep mine plugged in all the time, I like to periodically run the A/C, furnace, and hot water heater just because the conventional wisdom is that things that are built to operate do so more reliably if actually operated periodically and not left to sit for long periods of time. I know that is true of gasoline engines more so than our RV systems, but I just feel more comfortable knowing my stuff is still working regularly. I use a sealed Optima house battery and have no problems with keeping it maintained by the onboard converter/charger system. I do have a question, however. Is there any contraindication for keeping a travel trailer plugged into household current while leaving the house battery disconnected. I use the house battery for a trolling motor in a small dinghy I use. Should I turn off the household current when I do that, or is it OK just to leave it plugged in and on?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #31

Plugged in at Home

I have had a TT for the better part of 30 years and currently have a 2017 Rockwood 2906WS and it stays plugged in full time when at home. I do disconnect the battery to avoid any charging issues.
rkjl5668 is offline   Reply With Quote