Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

Plugged Into 110 @ Home

I recently purchased a 2006 Surveyor SV264 and I have no RV experience so my question is should I keep my RV plugged into my home's 110 volt, 15 amp circuit when parked in my driveway. Is there any harm or benefit in leaving it plugged in other than running a charge to my battery? I had thought about leaving a small 110 volt (probably 1500 watt) space heater inside of the camper set at about 50 degrees during its non-use during the winter months but I'm not sure about what precautions I need to take as far as length of power cord and wire size going to camper. From what I've read on this forum I assume if I leave it unplugged during the winter I need to remove cables from battery so as not to drain it down. What is the norm for winter storage?
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new RV and welcome to the wonderful world of RVing. Lots of threads on winterization in this forum. Do you search and then you can spend the rest of your day reading. You will get your answer.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 Surveyor SV264 and I have no RV experience so my question is should I keep my RV plugged into my home's 110 volt, 15 amp circuit when parked in my driveway. Is there any harm or benefit in leaving it plugged in other than running a charge to my battery? I had thought about leaving a small 110 volt (probably 1500 watt) space heater inside of the camper set at about 50 degrees during its non-use during the winter months but I'm not sure about what precautions I need to take as far as length of power cord and wire size going to camper. From what I've read on this forum I assume if I leave it unplugged during the winter I need to remove cables from battery so as not to drain it down. What is the norm for winter storage?
Welcome to the world of camping. First you need to make sure that the wirier size will be able to carrier the amps you need without a drop in voltage and heating up on you, that can be dangerous. What else will be on that circuit? If you check on this site you find this info on what size you need then go 1 bigger if possible. Also make it a dedicated circuit only for the camper if you can. You converter will be on, also your built in charger this also takes power. I leave mine plugged in with a heater going all winter but I also have a 30 amp dedicated circuit that I plug my unit into. Low voltage can fry a board real fast and will also melt your connectors. I suggest you do your homework on it. Of course this means nothing if you plug the heater into the cord and not through your TT. Hope this helps......
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

No reason to leave it plugged in for storage. It wastes $$. Just winterize with the pink stuff and call it a day. Plenty of threads on that subject to be found. BTW, welcome to the RV world!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
No reason to leave it plugged in for storage. It wastes $$. Just winterize with the pink stuff and call it a day. Plenty of threads on that subject to be found. BTW, welcome to the RV world!
I agree with rattleNsmoke. We store in an enclosed barn and remove the batteries from the trailer. We store the batteries in the basement and connect to a battery tender type charger. This type of charger has micro-processor which maintain a float change and de-sulfates the batteries.

Come spring the batteries ready to go.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpacker View Post
I agree with rattleNsmoke. We store in an enclosed barn and remove the batteries from the trailer. We store the batteries in the basement and connect to a battery tender type charger. This type of charger has micro-processor which maintain a float change and de-sulfates the batteries.

Come spring the batteries ready to go.
X2!! This method works great.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
What is a waste to some is not a waste to others that would be your opinion, which you are entitled to after all this is the good old USA. He was asking about the size of wirier not the cost to maintain a unit over the winter and also what other people do. I know I do not have a barn to store my unit in or will I pay $60.00 a month to store it off my property.That buys alot of electricity in my neck of the woods!!!!!:
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

1500 watt heater should pull about 13.6 amps, more or less. For that you would need a minimum of a 14 gauge wire (14 gauge is rated to 15 amps and 12 gauge us rated to 20 amps on hard wiring. I dont know if extension cords are rated the same, (being multi strand - will be listed on package though) but I would recomend a 12 gauge cord up to 50 feet- you maybe able to go further safely, but I don't know what the drop ratio per foot is for multi-strand wire.

Also a 1500watt heater on constantly will show an increase in your electric bill- but it is cheaper than fixing other cold related problems and cheap peace if mind!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #9

Millertime, If I were to plug the heater into the TT receptacle and plug the external power supply into a 15 or 20 amp circuit from the house would or could that damage my circuit board in the camper? I know my camper is setup for a 30 amp supply but short of having to rewire from the house breaker box for a dedicated 30 amp supply which at this time I don't want to get into if I can help it. From what I've read most people just winterize the TT with antifreeze and then flush out the plumbing in the spring and are ready to go but I wanted the option of using a small heat source in the camper due to moisture in the air during the winter and not knowing how it might effect the interior of the TT over time. This may be an overkill for winterizing but still I wanted to see if it was feasible.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

In therory you should be able to if there are no other elecrical draws. I believe that there is 1 15amp breaker going to most outlets. I am not sure of the size wire feeding the outlets but I venture a guess at 14 gauge. (A quick peek under the cover plate and measuring wire gauge- with a dead circuit, will insure load capability)

If possible unplug the microwave and use that circuit- it is a more dedicated circuit and its own breaker. If not possible, make sure there is no other loads.
I would also recomend running trailer cord w/ adapter on end all the way (to outlet) instead of feeding the trailer cord & adapter with a 15/20 amp extention cord and then to outlet.

I'm sure people can and do more with lighter gauges, but I want my statements to keep everybody safe.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

I'd be worried about critters being more enticed to move in if it were heated all winter long.

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

By the way I understand completely about wanting the heater. I just feel like a little heat "feels" better when its cold out. Probably a mental thing but I put a eden pure on in mine(on a seprate cord)when it gets real cold and even when winterized!!!