Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #1

plugging in with home adapter

I'll try and be brief. I got home with my new TT and plugged it in to an outbuilding on a 20amp breaker. Sometime later I discovered I had no power to the building but the breaker was not tripped. after a while I found a portion of the wire (common?)to be shorting out and I replaced it. I moved the camper and plugged into another building on a separate breaker box and after several days I noticed the outlet had no power and the breaker was not tripped also. I never turned on the air, water heater, fridge, microwave, etc. I only plugged in to keep the battery charged and use some lights. At this point I suspected the TT was causing the problem??? We made several trips and no problem at the campground. I since have installed a RV 30 amp breaker box on a designated circuit and no problems. Since this has only happened to circuits I have plugged the TT into I suspect the TT has a problem with the wiring that will show its ugly head at some point. Any helpful advice will be appreciated. Well, any humorous sarcastic help will be accepted.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #2

Are you tripping GFCI's upstream of the outlets you're plugging into without realizing it?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like your ext cord is the problem.
If it works fine with just the 30 amp cord but has issues when using the ext cord.

Btw how long of ext cord was you using and what gauge?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Sounds like your ext cord is the problem.
If it works fine with just the 30 amp cord but has issues when using the ext cord.

Btw how long of ext cord was you using and what gauge?
At the first bldg. I had it plugged into rv extention cord. The second location was plugged directly into outside recep. using the adapter. also no GFI on circuit
Maybe the adapter?

Old 11-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

I use a 15 Amp plug run out of my garage and a 30 Amp to 15 Amp adapter. Never a problem in 5 years of doing that. I run a dehumidifier 24/7 when docked at home. I like the suggestion of checking for tripped GFCI outlets. That wreaks a little havoc once in a while if unnoticed. Otherwise, try a 15 Amp circuit with a 15 Amp adapter.
uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

bad adapter

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

X2 Sounds like adapter.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
bad adapter
Good bet Bad Adapter or GOD forbid, be sure to check the polarity of your outlets and grounding. It is not unheard of to have a whole house or sub area wired wrong. I always carry a little $5-$10 plug that reports polarity and ground on my outlets
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Thanks to all for help. I'll check the adapter 1st since it was used both
times. The polarity is another thing to check. Thanks again

Old 11-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #10

Get one of these at wallyworld;

Ge 50542 Receptacle Tester - Walmart.com

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Get one of these at wallyworld;

Ge 50542 Receptacle Tester - Walmart.com
The three prong tester is good, but a non-contact voltage detector might be a better choice. It can test the neutral and hot wires in an outlet separately and can also alert you to a "hot skin" condition on your RV.

This video explains how to use a non-contact voltage detector:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
I'll try and be brief. I got home with my new TT and plugged it in to an outbuilding on a 20amp breaker. Sometime later I discovered I had no power to the building but the breaker was not tripped. after a while I found a portion of the wire (common?)to be shorting out and I replaced it. I moved the camper and plugged into another building on a separate breaker box and after several days I noticed the outlet had no power and the breaker was not tripped also. I never turned on the air, water heater, fridge, microwave, etc. I only plugged in to keep the battery charged and use some lights. At this point I suspected the TT was causing the problem??? We made several trips and no problem at the campground. I since have installed a RV 30 amp breaker box on a designated circuit and no problems. Since this has only happened to circuits I have plugged the TT into I suspect the TT has a problem with the wiring that will show its ugly head at some point. Any helpful advice will be appreciated. Well, any humorous sarcastic help will be accepted.
You are only plugged into a 20 amp breaker. If you try to run the ac with the hw heater switched to 110 vac, or the ac and microwave together you will trip that 20 amp breaker. Your trailer is at least a 30 amp system so running those things together causes an overload.

I have gotten in the habit of shutting the ac off if I need to use a toaster, coffee pot, microwave or anything else that draws a heavy load. The hot water heater cycles on and off when switched to 110 vac. It is quiet so you don't realize it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
The three prong tester is good, but a non-contact voltage detector might be a better choice. It can test the neutral and hot wires in an outlet separately and can also alert you to a "hot skin" condition on your RV.

This video explains how to use a non-contact voltage detector:

A better choice than this is a surge detector. A portable one checks everything before you plug the trailer in.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote