Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #21

A special thanks to Herk. His advise has been very beneficial to me on several occasions. Thanks for your contributions!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #22

As Herk showed in his photo most campgrounds that have 50 amp also have a 30 amp plug. That said if you do much cross country traveling you will need both a 50 & 20 amp asapter they are cheap and sooner or later you will find a campground where you will need an adapter.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
A special thanks to Herk. His advise has been very beneficial to me on several occasions. Thanks for your contributions!
You are very welcome.

We all try (sometimes successfully) to help when we can (or think we can; which is not the same thing )

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Berkshire 390QS

We stayed there, pretty sure they had both 30 & 50, but we used 50 on our Berkshire.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #25

Keep in mind that the thing about 30 amp versus 50 is that 50 amp is at 240 volts, 2-pole and the 30 is single-pole, 120 volts. That means that to adapt from 50 "down" to 30 amps, you'll only get one leg of the 50 amp/240 volt circuit - 25 amps. With a lot of loads going in the RV at the same time (A/C, microwave, lights and more) you may trip the breaker in your panel and/or the pedestal.

From what I've read, campgrounds *usually* have a lot more 30 amp than 50 amp connections available. I am making an assumption, but if a c/g has a lot of 50 amp pedestals throughout, they're going to have many 30 amp connections also. I say this because if they have to run heavy gauge wiring all over the site they've got 120 and 240 wiring to the pedestals anyway. It doesn't work the other way around though because you can't make full/true 50 amp connections out of 30s only.

When it comes to RVs and boats, there sure are a lot of up/down adapters, splitters ("Y") and things that you don't see in the world of homes and commercial buildings. Some of them wouldn't even be legal in buildings. And if you are connecting to a portable generator, you need connectors and plugs with different configurations. Also, RV plugs have straight blade plugs and marine pedestals use twist lock. It can all be quite confusing.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Keep in mind that the thing about 30 amp versus 50 is that 50 amp is at 240 volts, 2-pole and the 30 is single-pole, 120 volts. That means that to adapt from 50 "down" to 30 amps, you'll only get one leg of the 50 amp/240 volt circuit - 25 amps. With a lot of loads going in the RV at the same time (A/C, microwave, lights and more) you may trip the breaker in your panel and/or the pedestal.

From what I've read, campgrounds *usually* have a lot more 30 amp than 50 amp connections available. I am making an assumption, but if a c/g has a lot of 50 amp pedestals throughout, they're going to have many 30 amp connections also. I say this because if they have to run heavy gauge wiring all over the site they've got 120 and 240 wiring to the pedestals anyway. It doesn't work the other way around though because you can't make full/true 50 amp connections out of 30s only.

When it comes to RVs and boats, there sure are a lot of up/down adapters, splitters ("Y") and things that you don't see in the world of homes and commercial buildings. Some of them wouldn't even be legal in buildings. And if you are connecting to a portable generator, you need connectors and plugs with different configurations. Also, RV plugs have straight blade plugs and marine pedestals use twist lock. It can all be quite confusing.
Gil,

I really don't know how to begin discussing your post. Much of what you have written in paragraph one is not true. The 50 amp outlet is 2 phases of 110 volts each (NOT 220 VAC). It would only be 220 VAC if you somehow tied the two hots together. Since the neutral is carrying a return load that alternates between the two hots every 1/60th of a second (thus creating the 110 VAC needed by both legs of the RV 50 amp service), it need only be sized the same as the hot wires. Additionally, the 50 amp socket is fused at 50 amps available on each leg (not 25).

Your 2nd paragraph is incorrect in its totality. Your 3rd paragraph is accurate, it is clear you are confused. We try real hard to "un-confuse" folks. If you PM me your email address I will be more than happy to send you some more information on how this all works.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #27

Herk, you are correct. Thanks for this. I was doing 2 posts on this topic and corrected myself (I think, in the other). Not awake yet I guess. Yes, it would be 50 amps at 120 on one leg, not 25 amps. And it would thus be 30 amps available on one leg in the trailer.

In building construction, 50 amps as it relates to RVs would be considered 50 amps at 240V (or 220). It means that you have 50 amps x 240v total available power. Same as looking at it in terms of two times (two legs) 50 amps x 120V. You are right in a sense as few trailers use 240V (or 220).

Regarding the number of 30 & 50 amp pedestals in campgrounds, I based this on reading up on various campgrounds. Maybe things are different out there in actuality.

I hope I have redeemed myself.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Regarding the number of 30 & 50 amp pedestals in campgrounds, I based this on reading up on various campgrounds. Maybe things are different out there in actuality.

I hope I have redeemed myself.
OMG, no worries. I have "misspoke" on more than one (actually many more than one) occasion. I did see your other post and thought it was well thought out and did not feel I needed to add anything.

Most campgrounds are fully set up for providing full power (50 amp or 30 amp service) to all camp sites as they provide in their brochures.

In fact many of the 50 amp pedestals tap off one leg to run the 30 amp outlet and the other leg runs a 20 amp duplex outlet. If you plug into the 30 amp outlet (separate 30 amp circuit breaker) and then trip the 50 amp breaker "OFF" you will lose power on your 30 amp circuit (without tripping the 30 amp breaker) as well.

However, not all campgrounds can supply full VOLTAGE at every site during peak use periods. I was at a resort in Miami just last year that was VERY expensive (we only spent the night there). I needed to get out my Franks unit because with all the air conditioners running we were only getting 105 volts on our 30 amp service.

When we complained about the poor voltage, the campground manager gave me some lame excuse about our camper "being on the end of a run." I just think they should have put some of that 100 bucks a night campground fee towards upgrading their transformers.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #29

Oakman-I'm freaking here-planning on camping for the first time this weekend but as we were transfering the stuff from old to new caper we plugged in the camper 30 amp and noticed that we only had electricity on one side of the camper. Is this because it was only a 30 amp service or do you think something is wrong. I know the dealer said we couldn't run the fireplace unless we were hooked up to 50 amp but I assumed if all we had was 30 amp everything wlse would work.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
Oakman-I'm freaking here-planning on camping for the first time this weekend but as we were transfering the stuff from old to new caper we plugged in the camper 30 amp and noticed that we only had electricity on one side of the camper. Is this because it was only a 30 amp service or do you think something is wrong. I know the dealer said we couldn't run the fireplace unless we were hooked up to 50 amp but I assumed if all we had was 30 amp everything wlse would work.
I haven't plugged into 30 amp yet, but I'm glad you mentioned this. I know 50 amp service is two 110 legs to the camper but like you I assumed everything would work as long as the 30 amps wasn't exceeded.

I don't have the time at the moment, but when we get back to the Silverback this afternoon I going to uplug from 50 and plug into the 30 amp. I'll let you know what happens.

In the meantime, perhaps someone with more experience with a 50 amp trailer can give us both some insight.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote