Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
2010 Forest River Solera

Poor service dealer support from Forest River, Inc

My local CampingWorld Service department sent email to their contact at Forest River to send the proper end plugs for the male ends on the wiring bundle to attach to the new controller sent earlier this month. They sent a replacement controller, but the slots the wiring ends fit into have different plug connectors than the original, and My Solera is not road safe due to non-working cabin running lights, brake lights, and taillights and direction signals. I brought it to them on February 23rd and have still not been able to use my RV. The service manager says, that Forest River is not returning emails and cannot isolate a part number for these wiring plug ends. I had to cancel 2 planned short trips and now am about to have to cancel another which was an important RV trip. The RV product I purchased is not capable of being used for its stated purpose. Yesterday morning, I was watching CNBC interview with Warren Buffett. Warren Buffett says companies who keep their customers happy, succeed. FRI is not succeeding and Mr. Buffett's investors, such as myself are not pleased with this performance to your dealer network service contacts. FRI's reputation is really the only significant differentiator to other RV manufacturers, but it isn't working to FRI and its investors. Our investment in FRI is jeopardized by this poor support to your dealers. Not to mention the horrible customer experience I am having with service support. I'd rather see improvement and not just complain. Maybe owners need to be squeakier wheels...... Does anyone else have a recent story of non-response to dealer service networks, and how do we run this problem up the FR, Inc. flagpole for correction?

Ron, Debra & Foxy
2010 Forest River Solera - Diesel
Ron, Debra & Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Willsonville or troutdale ?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #3

Have you tried contacting FR directly? I too am having my RV serviced at Camping World. All I can say is CW customer service has been close to nonexistent! I've been dealing with warranty issues since January 19th. They just now have actually ordered the parts that require fixing. I've been in contact with FR and for the most part it's been pretty positive. Not the best, but positive. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
2010 Forest River Solera

Troutdale

Ron, Debra & Foxy
Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
2010 Forest River Solera

Thanks. I got from a sales manager that they have trouble finding RV techs, and overwhelmed. I did get a speedy reply today from the regional Forest River sales contact. I posted a sales question on the FR, Inc. site and got a response call to my phone within an hour. I posted my question to sales immediately AFTER posting my problem to the service contact at the FR, Inc. site, who I have not yet received a response....

Ron, Debra & Foxy
Old 04-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Left Coast

The 'controller' you've mentioned isn't quit clear to me. Is it the wire harness that connects to tow vehicle?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
2010 Forest River Solera

Its the electrical system 'module' aka 'controller' that takes the electrical system from the chassis, it is also the 'meet point' between the chassis and the coach. My Solera is a diesel Sprinter from Mercedes. This electrical 'controller' or 'module' is the 3rd party vendor product that connects the Mercedes electric system to the coach for running lights, brake lights, direction signals in the back. I don't tow, so this is not about a brake controller. All other systems are fine and dandy.
Today, I have been contacted by both FRI and CW service folks to demonstrate they are working on a solution. Results are what counts, now.

Ron, Debra & Foxy
Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldGThomas View Post
Its the electrical system 'module' aka 'controller' that takes the electrical system from the chassis, it is also the 'meet point' between the chassis and the coach. My Solera is a diesel Sprinter from Mercedes. This electrical 'controller' or 'module' is the 3rd party vendor product that connects the Mercedes electric system to the coach for running lights, brake lights, direction signals in the back. I don't tow, so this is not about a brake controller. All other systems are fine and dandy.
Today, I have been contacted by both FRI and CW service folks to demonstrate they are working on a solution. Results are what counts, now.
At least your getting some action...good luck!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

I've never gotten service from FR. I've needed help on about 3 different issues and they either did not have an answer or referred me to a dealer in their area. My last issue was touch up paint, Sherman Williams, Unit #11561, Ultra 7000, Gun Metal Blue, Colour PP414, Automotive Finishes. I sent FR an email and they referred me to Sherman Williams or an automotive paint place both of whom I've tried. Sherman Williams said they have no paint with that description and that FR must have special ordered it so they I would have to go to them. I went back to FR with an email and they deleted my email without reading it. I like our FR Georgetown XL but would never recommend FR to anyone because of their deplorable service.
2ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Seems to be more and more posts detailing their bad experiences with FR.

Haven't heard of any resolution to underside slide wear in almost 1 1/2 years

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #11

Camping World dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldGThomas View Post
Thanks. I got from a sales manager that they have trouble finding RV techs, and overwhelmed. I did get a speedy reply today from the regional Forest River sales contact. I posted a sales question on the FR, Inc. site and got a response call to my phone within an hour. I posted my question to sales immediately AFTER posting my problem to the service contact at the FR, Inc. site, who I have not yet received a response....
I too had problems with Camping World Service, when it took two and a half months to repair the hot water tank our new crossroads Trailer. granted it wasn't Forest River but I've been through the same applies. I couldn't get anything done through CW until I personally called crossroads and ask to speak to a manager and got him involved, then things started to get taken care of. I would say circumvent Cw and deal with FR directly.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

Sounds like the usual warranty support from FR. Warren Buffet really should take a hard look at them as they could be a failing investment with their well earned customer supprt reputation.

I suggest that you go to a Mercedes dealer. I have friend with a Winnebago (Navion brand I think) with the Merc config that you are using and he had this problem and they fixed it even though it wasn't their problem. It didn't work on delivery. Camping World were unable to do it and Winnebago were saying that it wasn't their problem even though the defect existed when it left the plant after manufacture.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

Don't waste your time on Forest River Service

Forest River service is basically non-existent. They had our unit after having it for only 6 months or so to do numerous repairs. They kept it for four months in lieu of the four to six weeks they told us, and not only is their workmanship shabby, when we got our unit back, it had numerous new problems caused by their poor service. The unit has now been at a local service and repair shop for four and a half months as they attempt to repair the damages caused by Forest River. We did not rreturn to our dealer's repair shop as we received poor service from them as well. We basically have owned out unit for almost two years, and of that, the unit has been in the shop for almost 12 months! Now tell me...What's wrong with that picture???
ktmpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Sounds like some folks need to go to the Goshen Rally and get the problems corrected properly and for free.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly I purchased my previous tt through camping world in NC. They always claimed the manufacturer was the problem and always kept my trailer long periods of time. The more frequently I called them, the quicker my tt got fixed. This holds true for many dealerships. They drag their feet working on your trailer and then blame the manufacturer when in reality the manufacturer has no knowledge you are waiting for parts. I'm betting this is the case here.

You can try contacting bclemens on this forum. He can probably put you in contact with someone who can help you or may be able to directly get you the part number.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #16

Bad Service

This is all warranty work so it is for free, but what good is free, if they can't do it right! Can't find a dealer or repair company to perform quality work, let alone the manufacturer. We've have terrible service dealing with Forest River directly. Will never by from them again!!!
ktmpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmpj View Post
This is all warranty work so it is for free, but what good is free, if they can't do it right! Can't find a dealer or repair company to perform quality work, let alone the manufacturer. We've have terrible service dealing with Forest River directly. Will never by from them again!!!
Have you been to the Goshen rally, if not, it is a whole new ballgame and you would be impressed. FR will fix whatever problem you have. Everyone that has been there will vouch for what I say.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I can honestly say despite the major issues I have had with my fiver, forest river has stood behind their work the whole way. They have taken my trailer back to the factory twice, been in constant communication, and been working with me and my dealer to make everything right. My dealer has also been very helpful and I think that makes a huge difference. I'm going to the goshen rally to meet the guys that worked so hard on my fiver.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I can honestly say despite the major issues I have had with my fiver, forest river has stood behind their work the whole way. They have taken my trailer back to the factory twice, been in constant communication, and been working with me and my dealer to make everything right. My dealer has also been very helpful and I think that makes a huge difference. I'm going to the goshen rally to meet the guys that worked so hard on my fiver.
You will not meet a better more professional bunch of men that sincerely want to help anyone and everyone. The supervisors and mgrs will all impress you with their sincerity and dedication to satisfy you the customer.

Like the old commercial said, "Try it, you'll like it."
Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #20

I recently had a discussion about this at a show as I was looking for someplace local instead of 250 miles one way for warranty work.I put the question out right up front "do you do warranty work on units that were bought elsewhere?"Both places are about 30 miles from us.One place the salesman said they would even thoug they were not a cherrokee dealer. He said FR is FR and it didnt matter what it was or where it was bought as long as it was a FR unit.The other place the service mngr was acting as a salesman and I posed the same question. They are a cherrokee dealer. He said "no problem but any warranty work has to be approved by FR before they can do any work" I told him I understand that but I am mostly concerned with the time frame that they (the dealer) would need to do the approved work. His responce was " we do it as quickly as we can but you (I) have to understand that warranty only pays about 30 40% of what customer service does,so we do it when we do not have any real work in the shop". I have since decided to just fix things myself because we bought it to use,not sit around waiting for a dealer to do it in thier spare time.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, forest river, service