Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #21
You certainly can do that. Wait until you receive the panel, you will have many easier options for connection than cutting and splicing etc. The factory set up from Rockwood is nothing special. I got a couple of spaded connectors from Wally World and but the same type connector that the Renogy came with and just leave the connector connected and inside the battery box. Very simple arrangement.

PS. I love this panel! Easy to operate/set up and does a very good job of keeping a charge on whatever batteries you have. I contacted Renogy and was told by their techs that you can hook it up to any type of 12v battery and the controller will not damage them.

61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
Originally Posted by danstone12 View Post
New to this forum, first camper and first solar panels (eventually).

Picking up my Rockwood A122SXR on Monday and have begun researching solar panels for it. I'm having dealer add a battery so it will have 2 from the start.

My question is can I use the Renogy 100w Foldable solar suitcase ($279.) instead of the Zamp 80 watt portable ($500.) simply by adding the Zamp connectors? Seems too easy and too much of a no brainer to be right. Any input would be appreciated.

I bought my panels here...Newegg. Keep an eye out on their website, Renogy drops the price periodically to their retail partners.

I only have one stage 27 battery with a 70 amp hour rating. It's one year old so I am guessing it has maybe 60 amp hours of life now. It took aprox. 10 hours to recharge with the 100 watt panel. Part of that time it was a little cloudy.

As far as I know the controller that comes with the Renogy 100 watt suitcase can be upgraded with an additional panel or two to increase wattage. Call Renogy directly and they can explain how.

There is a host of valuable info on this forum explaining amp hour ratings, amp/watt usage, recharging with solar, connections etc. from fellow members.

Chevy Silverado 1500 V8 5.3L DBL Cab
Apex 189FBS
a59cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #23
Originally Posted by danstone12 View Post

Our camper will be used for ski trips, bike trips and any other adventure we can think of. It has a heated mattress and heat exchanger so trying to make sure we stay warm in winter.

None of the solar options you have discussed are going to power your 120 volt accessories. Both the mattress heater and the heat pump are 120 volt accessories, and do not run off the batteries. The propane heater (if installed) fan and thermostat do run from 12 volt DC (battery power), and solar will help make up for the draw down of the batteries by the heater.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #24
I just purchased a 300x12hp that is solar ready. I have a few ?'s:

1. Is there a regulator in line from the solar plug to the battery?

2. Where do I find that plug for the outside of the trailer?

I deal with DC voltage and use solar panels/regulators on a daily basis, so I have access to all of the panels I need. I just need to know if I need to install a regulator or is there 1 already there?

2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali
2015 XLR 300X12HP
2013 Polaris RZR 900 XP
bulldog4949 is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, solar