Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Portable surge guard? Does it stop surge?

Question about the surge gaurd. Does this one actually stop the surge of electricity or does it just inform you on the read out that the electricity is wrong.
Portable Surge Guard Protectors, 30 amp - TRC 44260 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

Yes...but not all...it has limits:
Technical Specs
Tech Specs
Weight: 1.5 lbs.
Manufacturer: Technology Research Corp
Mfg Part #: 44260
Tech Notes: Offers 2100 Joules of power surge protection.

- See more at: Portable Surge Guard Protectors, 30 amp - TRC 44260 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Whereas the more expensive one offers:
Tech Notes: 2450 joules surge protection, 6500 amps spike protection. 120 volts. - See more at: Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp - TRC 34730-001-LCD - Surge Protectors - Camping World

The other major feature difference is the automatic reset of the more expensive one which might save you from coming back to a fridge full of rancid food or a coach with batteries depleted.
Still... even the more basic one offers joules protection at the same level as whole home protectors...while still providing polarity checks too.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
NELA

We were advised that the 'surge guard' in the OP wasn't much better than the little needle meters you plug into an outlet inside the RV to monitor voltage.

We went with this one:

Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp - TRC 34730-001-LCD - Surge Protectors - Camping World

50 AMP instead of 30 AMP

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We were advised that the 'surge guard' in the OP wasn't much better than the little needle meters you plug into an outlet inside the RV to monitor voltage.

We went with this one:

Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp - TRC 34730-001-LCD - Surge Protectors - Camping World

50 AMP instead of 30 AMP
Edited to add:

We actually use both...the needle meter and the 50 AMP Surge protector. We've found that the needle meter is often unreliable compared to the surge protector.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

Well I did it! I pulled the plug and brought the more expensive one.
Ughh I been holding off on doing that but maybe it will save me some headaches.
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #6

If you have the budget I would recommend going with the Hugh's Autoformer. It will not only protect you from power spikes and incorrect wiring, but also protect you from weak power and brown out situations.

However, they are pricey,

Hughes Autoformers ::

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Best on the Market - if you did not get this one, return it and get a progressive. We have the portable 50AMP - wish I had bought the installable now that I have found out how easy it is to put in!

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT50C
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #8

I just purchased the PT50C a few hours ago. Looks to be smaller than the Surge Guard and has a lifetime warranty. I read on some forums that the Surge Guard was not repairable and they gave bad customer service. Progressive Industries has a 24/7 hotline. I got mine here for $309.00, no tax and free shipping. Good deal.

Portable 50A Surge Protector & Voltage Protection

I am sure both units are similar but a lifetime warranty is a good deal.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

i'll stick with my progressive thank you very much

EXCELLENT customer service and always on call if I have a question!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

Hey HSV. That is the PI unit. 50 AMP External. I agree, keep your progressive

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #11

Pay a few hundred for a good surge protector now, or pay a few hundred for replacement electronics circuit board later. Newer campers have lots of electronics in them as consumers demand the creature comforts of home. First time you have a lightning storm, you are in the camper, and the lights go out because your surge guard kicked in, you will feel the price you paid for the surge guard was worth every penny. Why, because when the power automagically comes back on, all your electronics still work!
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #12

your more likely to experience a low voltage, high voltage, open neutral or open ground situation than a surge. A Progressive Industries unit will protect you from all those, and is only unit with a lifetime warranty.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
your more likely to experience a low voltage, high voltage, open neutral or open ground situation than a surge. A Progressive Industries unit will protect you from all those, and is only unit with a lifetime warranty.
X2 - Progressive is the best on the market - GREAT customer service to boot!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

From what I've read the PI is the better unit, but since they only seemed to be available shipped, and shipping to Canada was astronomically ridiculous, I ended up picking up a Surge Guard from a Camping World brick and mortar store. At least this way, while it's not as good as the PI, I'm still way, way, way better off than not having any protection.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
Well I did it! I pulled the plug and brought the more expensive one.
Ughh I been holding off on doing that but maybe it will save me some headaches.
The first time you notice that it worked when a problem occurred you will be glad you did invest in it. And once that happens you won't feel comfortable plugging in without it again. At least that's how I felt.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #16

The Progressive is available in Canada though RV stores, I bought mine from Owasco RV in Whitby Ontario, you just have to ask your RV store to order it As Visa says "Don't leave home without it!!!" Cheers
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #17

I have the TRC unit with the read out, bought it at CW, had a problem with water when it rained. Called the TRC help line, they said take it to CW and get a new one after my year warranty. TRC was very helpful. I also said to the tech what about be after a year warrenty, he told me that if I have a problem with the unit CW will replace it without question and he was right. It's kinda of unspoken but if it is a TRC problem they will give you the option of either sending it to them for repair or just give it back to CW they would handle it. I took 1 back to CW no problem, 2nd one went off in the rain, I called TRC again. They asked if I would send it to them. That was really strange. Within a week I had a new one sent to me by TRC and they said there was a crack at the top where the plug in wire was. Said they thought that they might of had a bad bunch. Also said thank you for helping them find a defect. Also said that they didn't care how old it was if I ever had a problem take to CW, but would rather have it sent to them so they can see the problem. To me that was a unspoken life time. But still would rather have it in writing. TRC is a very good Company in my opinion. Well worth the money spent but like Bamma said next time I get a hard wire. But Have not had a problem since do not believe everything you read on forums. I have had things over 3 years old and taken it back to CW and got a new one for replacement NO QUESTIONS ASKED. My hole point is that people with the TRC do not worry they are responsive and a very good company. ( next best to progressive) and you are protected the same way when you plug in.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrauts View Post
The Progressive is available in Canada though RV stores, I bought mine from Owasco RV in Whitby Ontario, you just have to ask your RV store to order it As Visa says "Don't leave home without it!!!" Cheers

I had inquired at the local dealer. It was an order only item and they wanted about $500 up front for it (I think it was something like $480 after tax). I can find it available online in the states for under $250, shipped only to the states, or online in the states for about $500-600 shipped to Canada. I bought my Surge Guard for around $230 in the store.

Now that I have the SG, I highly doubt I'd be able to get away with spending another huge chunk of change on yet another surge protector until we upgrade to something with 50A.