Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

Possible power converter problem

I am fairly new to the forum, but not to camping.
I think I have a problem with my power converter. I have a 2007 Salem model 4022B, park trailer. The problem is the 12 volt lights dim and then brighten back to normal. This problem started last fall. My trailer sits on a seasonal site. I checked the battery voltage and it is 12.7 volts, at home for the winter. i have not checked the voltage at the battery when it is connected in the trailer, but I think I need to replace the converter.
Do the inside lights run off of the converter, or off of the battery? Do I have to have a battery connected to complete the circuit?

We will be going to the trailer in 2 weeks, and I can check a few things out then. It seems that the charger is working, because in fall the slides went in. If the battery would have been dead, they would not go in.

Thanks for any suggestions, or help.

Kevin
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
I am fairly new to the forum, but not to camping.
I think I have a problem with my power converter. I have a 2007 Salem model 4022B, park trailer. The problem is the 12 volt lights dim and then brighten back to normal. This problem started last fall. My trailer sits on a seasonal site. I checked the battery voltage and it is 12.7 volts, at home for the winter. i have not checked the voltage at the battery when it is connected in the trailer, but I think I need to replace the converter.
Do the inside lights run off of the converter, or off of the battery? Do I have to have a battery connected to complete the circuit?

We will be going to the trailer in 2 weeks, and I can check a few things out then. It seems that the charger is working, because in fall the slides went in. If the battery would have been dead, they would not go in. If you have not been able to check on the water level in the batteries while the rig has been stored then I am willing to bet you have boiled them dry, could be a reason for the dimming too.

Thanks for any suggestions, or help.

Kevin
The answer is the lights run off the converter when plugged into shore power and the batteries when not. No the batteries do not have to be connected to use the converter to power everything 12Volt. If your batteries are connected with the rig plugged in then your voltage at the batteries should measure somewhere between 13.2 and 13.6 volts.

As for the dimming problem I don't know what to tell you except to make sure you have good grounds that are tight and check for corosion at the battery terminals.

Also be aware that a converter that is only 2 stage charger (most of them are) Will never really bring your batteries to full charge and aren't known for helping to maintain your batteries life when plugged in all the time either.

Oh, welcome to the forum too...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Team

We had the same problem. They would dim and in a little while they would brighten back up. I pulled the converter out and found that a piece of styrofoam had fallen into the fan jamming it, so when the converter would get hot it would limit the output till it cooled back down. It would cycle like that because the fan wasn't running to cool it. I removed the foam and it's worked right (no Dimming) since.

Listen for the fan running when you turn on a few lights. If you don't hear it that may be your problem too. It's easy to check just a few screws and the converter slides right out. You can check all the connections too while you have it out.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

I will check the voltage at the battery when it is connected, and I will check the ground connections.
If I remember correctly, the fan is working, but I will verify that also.
I am not exactly sure where the converter is located on my salem model 4022B. The breaker panel is in the back bedroom, and there are a couple of vents in the same cabinet, where the fan noise comes from.

Does anyone know if my converter is part of the breaker panel?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Yes it is. The converter/power center is a combined unit. You'll see breakers and fuses in it for the 120 and 12 volt power. A shorted cell in the battery will cause it to cycle in and out of charge modes causing the voltage to rise and fall as it does.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

Bama,

How do you know if your battery has a shorted cell?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
Bama,

How do you know if your battery has a shorted cell?
Test the voltage of every battery individually using a volt meter. If one has a bad cell it will probably read 9 volts or less. Should show 12.6 when fully charged. 10.4 volts is pretty well discharged. Anything less than that and there is likely a problem. If you suspect a battery after this you can further check each individual cell with a hydrometer for specific gravity. There are procedures available on the net for doing this and it isn't hard to do. Just don't wear you good clothes.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Site Team

^ What he said!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #9

I don't think the problem is with the battery then. The voltage is 12.69 volts.
I talked to the Dealer, and he said to check the 2 30 amp fuses. If they aren't blown, then it is the Converter. He said the complete breaker panel and converter assembly costs $275.00, but I should be able to just replace the converter, which would be easier and cheaper to replace.
I will find out what I need to replace on Good Friday, as that will be the first weekend staying at the trailer, ya........

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #10

My new trailer was new from the dealer, but is a 2008 model, the batteries that came with it were the age of the trailer, 3 years with very minimal use, (also 3 yr batteries as per Delco) the batteries were toast, charging I could get 12.4 v, but sitting even 15 minutes without the charger, they would drop to 10.4 and 10.2, took them back and picked up 2 brand new batteries, full replacement under warranty.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #11

I just wanted to post an update.
My problem must be the converter. it seems that the lights are dim until the fan turns on, then they brighten up, until the fan turns off. The charger part seems to be fine. 14.4 volts when it was charging. The new charger is about $210 from the dealer. Looks like a new one is in the near future.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #12

Just wanted to post an update. I installed the new power converter, and everything works fine. No more dimming. $188 with shipping. Dealer wanted over $300.
Thanks for everything.
Kev