View Poll Results: Do you use powerline protection?
In line Surge Protector Only (Like Surge Guard) 60 50.00%
Voltage AutoTransformer (like Franks, Hughes, or Powermaster 4 3.33%
BOTH the above 4 3.33%
Naked to the world - Hope for the best 52 43.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #61

Well I have to say I am one of those naked to the world kind of guys and your comments have totally confused me. I went to another site that is mostly for Class C and they were even worse, with tales of constant repairs to the auto transformers , changesin company ownership
,and and more horror stories. I did go ahead and order a surge protector from Camper World just because as I get older I guess a little protection is a good thing.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #62
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
Well I have to say I am one of those naked to the world kind of guys and your comments have totally confused me. I went to another site that is mostly for Class C and they were even worse, with tales of constant repairs to the auto transformers , changesin company ownership
,and and more horror stories. I did go ahead and order a surge protector from Camper World just because as I get older I guess a little protection is a good thing.
As I understand it, the owner of Powermaster was apparently sued for stealing some of the patented circuits in the Franks autotransformer. He lost.

While he dodged jail time, he leaves many orphaned poorly bashed together autotransformers in his wake.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

A power check at the pedestal with no load will only tell you that the post is wired correctly. It is no indication of how it will do under load.

If there is a 20 amp duplex next to the 30 or 50 amp socket, plugging in a voltmeter while you are running the microwave or AC will give you a better clue as to the pedestal's capability to provide steady power under load.

I ordered two of this display for my permanent install of my Franks autotransformer. It will continuously measure volts and amps in and out of the unit. I also ordered a 12 inch set of 30 amp RV pigtails (male and female) to make the wiring easy. The hot lead of pigtail will go through the ammeter "donut" provided with the display.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OU:US:3160
I will certainly check the 20 amp plug with load at the pedestal next time. I didn't think about it as I was busy getting everyone to the beach so I could start enjoying those cold mountains that were calling my name. It's certainly a learning process. Maybe an auto transformer in the near future and a gently used hard wired surge guard on eBay.
JBJ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #64

Had first error code with PI EMS PT30c (E1) indicating reverse polarity in a GA SP.

Park ranger and host (retired electrical engineer) came right out and checked the 30 amp/110 hookup. They said something about it being single phase so no chance of actual reverse polarity but that some wires were hooked up improperly and tricking the surge protector. Fortunately, they fixed it on the spot... Took about 30 minutes.

Better safe than sorry!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #65
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJ2003 View Post
Maybe an auto transformer in the near future and a gently used hard wired surge guard on eBay.
If you get the right autotransformer you won't need the surge guard.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #66

Correct Auto-Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you get the right autotransformer you won't need the surge guard.
BINGO
As I said earlier, one device that does it all and protects you from both the highs and the lows.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #67
Wanna Be Camper

Well I got my EMS HW30C hardwired unit installed in the trailer and the remote display setup with the FR control center and power for the remote awning and am very pleased. The unit keeps power disconnected for 136 seconds on initial plug in so no arcing the plug and it does the same when it detects a power condition that it disconnects power for. Another feature I like is the remote gives fault condition as well as input voltage and current use and an override in case of a failure in the unit. I still like Lou's autotransformer and still may do one down the road. In the mean time I found some very good info on park power (hopefully Lou didn't beat me to posting this somewhere). I am sure everyone will be able to take some good info away from this link. Of note the originator makes reference to the Hughs Auto transformer but the text was produced in 2002 so i am not sure if the Franks unit was around then.
Surges and Surge Protection by phred

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #68
Site Team - Lou

Thank you John!

That was an awesome addition to the "Herkbrary"
I also "PDF'ed the Cautions - High Low Voltage handout.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
led pad