Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving
Strangely enough, I ran the awning back in yesterday and the switch actually stuck a little before it popped by up so there may be actually something "sticky" about the switch which burns out the motor. Seems to be that there would be a fuse that would blow before the motor does. I noted that an early note said that a fuse was behind the fuse panel, but that really doesn't matter if the motor burns up before the fuse blows.
Do this and forget the switch ! Lol

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-20827.html
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #42
Traveling Two

Thanks. My first thought was "I can't be that lazy", but after thinking about it for a second or two, decided that I was really a great idea. Looking forward to you're post on getting and installing this jewel of a system.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving
Thanks. My first thought was "I can't be that lazy", but after thinking about it for a second or two, decided that I was really a great idea. Looking forward to you're post on getting and installing this jewel of a system.
Lol half the people here with power awning are that lazy to !
Including me !!!!!!!!

Turbs
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #44

I was reading this thread and a different problem occurred to me. Is there any way to "tilt" the power awning so that rain drains off it? On the manual awnings, you just lower one side and it runs off. With my power awning it fills up with water and I worry about the consequences.

Thanks
bschift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschift
I was reading this thread and a different problem occurred to me. Is there any way to "tilt" the power awning so that rain drains off it? On the manual awnings, you just lower one side and it runs off. With my power awning it fills up with water and I worry about the consequences.

Thanks
On my model it does tilt for run off.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
Strangely enough, I ran the awning back in yesterday and the switch actually stuck a little before it popped by up so there may be actually something "sticky" about the switch which burns out the motor. Seems to be that there would be a fuse that would blow before the motor does. I noted that an early note said that a fuse was behind the fuse panel, but that really doesn't matter if the motor burns up before the fuse blows.
Maybe you need to contact FR and buy an new switch or pick up one online.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #47

Just picked up our Sunseeker.. Extended warranty covered replacement off the awning motor but not the switch (because it had not actually "failed"... So essentially we were out of pocket for part and labor on that as we shared the advice given here to replace the switch at the same time. Just as well it is done.
While making sure that it functioned correctly we noticed that the front side of the awning does not retract to flush against the coach wall...it remains out about a half inch, exposing the channel and wires from above. Concerned, we had them determine what the problem was. Careful measurement revealed that the awning fabric is not square...fully extended, the front edge is 1/2" further from the coach, and so is not flush upon retraction. Dometic says that this discrepancy is within their tolerance... so fixing it would not be covered under warranty or extended warranty unless the awning were to catch the wind and deploy while we were on the road. Hopefully it is just a minor detail. Anyone else have this issue?
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #48
Site Team - Lou

There is a "silent recall" on the older power awnings, I understand. If you call Dometic with your serial number they are supposed to send you an arm replacement that is slotted like the new ones.

Install it on the side you want to dump to and then pre-compress the strut on the side to dump and lock it down.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #49
Traveling Two

Strangely enough, when the dealer replaced my original awning because of a cut near the trailer, the awning brace would not go completely into place, however, after we pointed it out they corrected the problem.

Also, yesterday as I was running the awning out and back trying to make sure I wasn't going to burn up another motor during my next trip, I noted that the switch stuck down when the awning was fully retracted. I quickly flipped the switch but this is a real watchout now.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
Strangely enough, when the dealer replaced my original awning because of a cut near the trailer, the awning brace would not go completely into place, however, after we pointed it out they corrected the problem.

Also, yesterday as I was running the awning out and back trying to make sure I wasn't going to burn up another motor during my next trip, I noted that the switch stuck down when the awning was fully retracted. I quickly flipped the switch but this is a real watchout now.
As mentioned before, I recommend you purchase a new switch before someone forgets.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #51

We replaced our motor and switch a year ago.... Same thing happened again!!! One arm of ours does not seem to go all the way in...wonder if this has anything to do with it? Just before it quit working altogether the new switch seemed to be "sticking". Hoping our extended warranty will cover it again...those motors ain't cheap!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #52
Traveling Two

We have "burned" up two motors and I noticed that our switch is sticking also, so when I open or close I watch it closely. I believe the switch is the problem with the motors getting burned out.

I have never been able to find a fuse to this motor, but it there is it isn't working or we wouldn't be burning up motors.

I hope that we don't have another problem since I am now out of warranty.

I guess I will just hope that I don't have another problem.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #53

We found a fuse, replaced it and burned out another but not sure if it is because motor is burned. Taking it in for repairs today so we will find out
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #54
Traveling Two

Where was the fuse located?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #55

We found one behind a metal plate in the stairwell of our Sunseeker
Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #56

Our power awning motor has been replaced a second time in a year under our extended warranty. We believe it is a sticky switch causing the problem with the motor burning out. Even though the switch was replaced the first time, it still is touchy. Is there anything else we can do to prevent this from happening again!!??

Tags
awning