Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

i have an older frig (10 years) and it works a little different.

if u have 110v to the frig and the check light comes on, turn the frige off and back on. the check light should not come on if there is 110 present. the check light comes on when 110 isn't present and the gas doesn't light.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Took the trailer into the shop this morning--not who I bought it from since they couldn't touch it for a month. Took it to another place that has great reputation in this area for service and sells the same brand as my unit. Will get to it late this week or first of next week.

I didn't lose 12V power--just 110. Tried connecting the television to an extension cord bypassing the trailer all together and it won't come on. Checked all circuit breakers and fuses--all are functioning as they should.

Guess I'll know more in about 10 days or so. Checking with insurance and my extended warranty folks. Hopefully some help will be out there somewhere.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #13

It's funny that you mention this problem. I just went through this on my Sierra when I was in Iowa in my Uncles' driveway. I needed to have a 30 amp breaker and recep installed in his panel so I could run at least one a/c unit. Well I nor my uncle have ever wired for a trailer so when I went to Menards to buy the necessary supplies, purchased the wrong breaker and brought home a 30amp two pole breaker. Well we installed all of it and plugger her in and went to reset the breaker in the trailer adn guess what happened......nice pretty yellow flame and then a bunch of smoke leaked out of the converter. So we did a little digging on the net and pulled up a wiring diagram and low and behold....we wired it for two hot legs and a ground instead of one hot leg with a ground and neutral and a single pole 30 amp breaker. So we fixed the wiring problem at the panel and I pulled the converter out. It just so happens that my other uncle repairs electronic components for a living so I drilled the rivets out of the top plate of the converter and the problem was immediately evident. A capacitor had blown its top and leaked out all of its smoke. So I handed it to my electronic uncle and he brought it back to me the next day all repaired with new capacitors soldered on the board. He also told me he pulled the board out of the converter and found lots of "cold" solder joints which he repaired. I reinstalled the repaired converter and all is well....woohoo. So long story short....maybe you can get your converter repaired instead of having to buy a $300 unit to install. My uncle saved me a bunch!!!!
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car
Took the trailer into the shop this morning--not who I bought it from since they couldn't touch it for a month. Took it to another place that has great reputation in this area for service and sells the same brand as my unit. Will get to it late this week or first of next week.

I didn't lose 12V power--just 110. Tried connecting the television to an extension cord bypassing the trailer all together and it won't come on. Checked all circuit breakers and fuses--all are functioning as they should.

Guess I'll know more in about 10 days or so. Checking with insurance and my extended warranty folks. Hopefully some help will be out there somewhere.
You want/expect warranty to cover this?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You want/expect warranty to cover this?
Don't know how it could be covered by warranty as nothing failed, but maybe insurance.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #16

Expect warranty to cover? No--but I'm going to ask. Worst thing they can do is say no. Also have filed the insurance claim. These are things I pay for so I am at least going to try.

djorgensen--glad things worked out for you as they did. Did any of your appliances get damaged? My television wouldn't come on even when I hooked it up to an extension cord run from my garage.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Folks forget that TV's are "ON" even when they are "OFF" (Instant on comes at a price).

220 Volts will cook anything that is "ON" that is not 220.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #18

old car, i hope the problem isn't as bad as it sounds.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #19

Thanks jimh. My dad really feels bad about all this. He assumed a situation and turns out it was the wrong choice. When he saw the plug on the trailer and the required female receptacle, and the size of the power cord--he assumed 220. I didn't even look at his breaker box to see how he hooked up the custom extension cord since he's the electrician. I wouldn't have known even looking at it anyway. You know, things happen in life and this is not a life and death situation. Yes, it's going to cost money to repair but at least the trailer didn't burn and no one was hurt. I didn't check everything "electrical" in the trailer but I do know the Create a Breeze still works. I did not try the microwave or water pump. The tongue jack works so I hope the electric stabilizers do too. Guess I'll know more early next week.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #20

converter fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Expect warranty to cover? No--but I'm going to ask. Worst thing they can do is say no. Also have filed the insurance claim. These are things I pay for so I am at least going to try.

djorgensen--glad things worked out for you as they did. Did any of your appliances get damaged? My television wouldn't come on even when I hooked it up to an extension cord run from my garage.
Nope. All appliances work just fine.....thank God!! The only thing that got hurt a smidge was my pride...lol. I should have researched it first since I had never had to do it before.

1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote