Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Power Converter Not Charging

As a relative newcomer to camping, I encountered a problem this past week while camping. I left my outside light on all night on our 2012 Forest River Gray Wolf 18RB. When we tried to break down and head home, the battery was dead even though we were plugged in to the electric at the camp site. I had to charge the battery so I could raise the levelers and hitch tongue, retract the slide out, etc. This tells me my power converter is not charging. I checked the fuses and they are good. But I do not hear the fan or anything else coming from the converter. I had been dealing with a short for the past couple of weeks and have had to charge the battery a few times (the short was in the harness cable which has since been fixed). I fear I may have ruined the converter. Can anyone tell me how to tell if the converter is bad? I don't have a volt meter or anything like that. But I have a friend who may be able to help if someone tells me how.

joenvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Sorry that I can't answer your question, but just a very basic question ---- You haven't disconnected your battery with your manual disconnect have you?? That is assuming that you have a manual disconnect.

bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Sounds like a bad converter or blown fuse etc. charge your battery full up with the battery charger then connect your TT to shore power and disconnect the charger, if your friend has a volt meter check the battery level you should read above 13 volts at the battery while on shore power if not - bad converter or incomplete circuit.
Dale & Terri, Lulu & Tiki (our Chihuahua's), New rescue puppy Prince - Pom/Pug mix.
2013 Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7, TRD Off-Road, 4X4, Full Tow Package
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS - Sold
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
where is the converter location on a Class C Forester and does it have a reset switch or is it just good or bad.Help We are camping and have no battery power due to the converter
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
FYI. You may want to give a thought to changing out ALL your lights to LED bulbs. It will make a huge difference in your power consumption.
On the matter of your converter not working, you need to put a voltmeter across your breaker for the converter.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

charging, converter, power