Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Power Cord Stuck in Trailer's Electrical Socket

The last time I went camping in our Grand Surveyor 5th wheel the main (shore-to-trailer) 30 amp power cord would not separate from the trailer's power inlet box. This has never before happened. As usual, after disconnecting water, packing up, pulling in slide, hitching trailer to truck, etc., I turned off the circuit at the campsite's power post. I then unplugged the cord from the post. Then I went to the trailer, grasped the safety ring that secures the female end of the power cord to the trailer's male inlet, and turned the ring counter-clockwise a couple of turns until it was loose. Finally I grasped the end of the plug and turned it slightly to the left to "unlock" it, and tried to unplug it. The plug would not budge no matter how hard I pulled on it. I thought about severing the power cord from its plug in order to leave the campsite, but decided the wiser action was to leave the cord plugged into the trailer's power inlet and secure the 30' cord to the ladder on back of the trailer. That way when I arrived at my house I was able to plug into a home outlet to keep the trailer's battery charged.

I do not like the idea of always traveling with the power cord attached to the ladder. So now how do I diagnose and fix the problem? (Of course the first thing will be to disconnect the trailer from any electrical source.) Should I unscrew the power inlet from the trailer? Will it come off easily? Will there be enough wire to pull out the inlet far enough to examine whether the problem is with the male prongs or the female plug on the power cord? Maybe they somehow got bent together so now I must replace both. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.

You-can-call-me-Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Team
There is a possibility that there has been electrical arcing at the terminals. If so, the terminals from the cord and trailer outlet may be basically melted together.

I think Herk has some good pics of where his cord had arcing.

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Plain Old Member
I agree with wmtire. Very possible. The marinco park power or whatever type is installed on there are usually very easy to take out. Every one I've removed had enough slack in the wire to work with. I had recentlly pulled mine out to install the EMS system and found one of the hot lugs stripped out. Bad business there, so another one is coming to replace it.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, electrical, power, trailer