Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Power from my house to TT

So we received our camper last Saturday. I decided to hook it up to the house power and try out the AC gadgets (tv, microwave, a/c, ect.). When I hooked up to the house and fired up the A/C it tripped the breaker. Now granted my breaker on the circuit to the garage only has a 15 amp breaker. Thanks, electrician! Anyway, do I really need 30 amp service in order to use things like the A/C or frig? I also was using a light duty extension cord (it's all I had) to plug it in. Could that have been the issue? I am going to attempt to pull camper close to the garage and plug in with the big cable (I have a 110 adapter).
sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #2

No but 20 amps is min if you want to use AC. All I have is a 15 amp outlet for the trailer. But I do not run the AC when at home either
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead77
So we received our camper last Saturday. I decided to hook it up to the house power and try out the AC gadgets (tv, microwave, a/c, ect.). When I hooked up to the house and fired up the A/C it tripped the breaker. Now granted my breaker on the circuit to the garage only has a 15 amp breaker. Thanks, electrician! Anyway, do I really need 30 amp service in order to use things like the A/C or frig? I also was using a light duty extension cord (it's all I had) to plug it in. Could that have been the issue? I am going to attempt to pull camper close to the garage and plug in with the big cable (I have a 110 adapter).
If your wiring to the outlet is atleast 12 ga you can put in a 20 amp breaker.

10ga is 30 amp
14ga is 15 amp

I used 6 ga for my 30 amp rv plug I installed on grarage.
So as to run everything.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

It is not just the Amps but also the distance and cord gauge. see below.
Even if you move the TT close to the outlet the length and gauge of the cord, (rolled up on the floor) will effect you.
I use a 10 gauge 25' extension between my 15 Amp outlet and the unit and I can run the Microwave or the AC without issue.

Url: Buying Guides: Extension Cords

To determine the cord's capacity, it's important to consider the cord length along with the wire gauge. Every extra foot of cord increases the electrical resistance, which decreases the power the cord can deliver to connected devices. Because of this, it's best to use a cord that is only as long as you need. For example, it's inefficient to use a 100-foot cord to power a device that only needs to extend 40 feet from an outlet.

Refer to the chart below for minimum wire gauge recommendations for different devices and cord lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cord_management_gauge_chart.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	14288  
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #5

Your AC should only pull about 13 amps for a 15000 btu ac. I had the same problem except that the 20 amp breaker installed for the ac was bad. It tripped even if I just ran the ac and nothing else. Something to look at if you have a amp meter. I ran a dedicated 30 amp just to plug my Rockwood into. I changed the breaker and never had another problem. You should be able to run your ac on a 15 or 20 amp house circuit if that's all you are running
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
flc

I decided to have a 30 amp RV circuit/plug installed. Had it commercially done and the cost was minimal. The plug is inside right next to my garage door so it works well for me. It's really nice to have the power to run all I need when its at the house (especially in the hot summer.)

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
I decided to have a 30 amp RV circuit/plug installed. Had it commercially done and the cost was minimal. The plug is inside right next to my garage door so it works well for me. It's really nice to have the power to run all I need when its at the house (especially in the hot summer.)
I have thought about doing this as well. Wish I would have thought about when the house was built I am guessing that the cord I was using was insufficient to supply power to the camper. The camper sits about 50-60 feet from the garage (don't wanna mess up my pretty lawn! lol). Would a 10 gauge extension cord of that length be sufficient?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead77

I have thought about doing this as well. Wish I would have thought about when the house was built I am guessing that the cord I was using was insufficient to supply power to the camper. The camper sits about 50-60 feet from the garage (don't wanna mess up my pretty lawn! lol). Would a 10 gauge extension cord of that length be sufficient?
What you also have to realize is the feet of wire "inside" the house to reach your breaker .
25 foot camper cord. Then 50' extention cord.
20 to 30 foot of wire inside of house.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
I decided to have a 30 amp RV circuit/plug installed. Had it commercially done and the cost was minimal.
that is the correct way to do it
if we are going to run
AC, or Micowave or both together

do not rinky dink and possibly start a fire
or at times
(short) melt wires

my buddy (well pump man)
put my 30amp plug in for next to noTHING
he does them for most others for
100 bucks plus parts

what is 100 bucks now days
a small trip to WalMart

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

i too agree, im currently upgrading the service in my house, and I am adding (2) 30 am circuits to the side of my garage, so I can plug my camper and boat in, or my camper and another camper...might as well do it right...and the cost is minimal.
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #11

Hey, a larger gauge extension cord works! Go figure! lol At least it will work for now until I can get a 30 amp service installed. Can run a/c from garage recep. just fine now. Needed a quick fix as I had to get the frig going so we can get ready for this weekend!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #12

I need someone to helpme

I have a 2008 2607 tt and when the tt is hooked to the house it does not charge the battery. How does the current flow. Does everything go thru the battery. If battery is dead should I loose all power. ( I do). I need to know what to look at. I replaced battery, checked all fuses, inline fuse under the camper, Where is the power converter located and does it have a fuse on it
Joseph5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #13

That is smart, you do not want any wires heating up or blowing some board because of low voltage. most circuit boards are pretty touche. It will be well worth the money for your ease of mine
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

The voltage drop from wire resistance in an overly small extension cord has to go somewhere and that somewhere is heat.

(Think possible fire; sparks and a BIG expense in ruined RV electronics (just about everything in your camper could be damaged from low voltage as well as high - think "Brownout")

A long run has higher resistance than a short one.
A thicker wire has less resistance than a narrow one.
Don't send a boy...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad