Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #1

Power loss on Travel trailer - two issues

Hi All,
Trying to figure out two issues we're having on our 2011 Forest River Stealth trailer.

Issue #1
As soon as we turn off the generator we lose all power to everything. We used to have lights that worked, water pump, power outlets that ran off the batteries. None of that works now when the generator is off. Is this a transfer switch issue, or possibly the inverter?

issue #2:
When connected to shore power or when running onboard Genrac generator, the trailer has power everywhere except several outlets in the rear of the trailer. They do not work. I checked fuses and they look fine.

Any help or advice for further investigation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler R.
TyReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

i will try to give some thoughts but you are asking very general question

#1: i am assuming you are running generator and are not connected to shore power. you turn generator off and lose everything. your battery should continue to supply 12 volt dc power to run things like lights, water pump, vent fans, heater, etc. the fact that these do not works says they are not getting battery power. there could be several reasons why:
- battery disconnect switch has batteries disconnected
- resetable 12 volt circuit breaker has tripped (will be near battery).
- batteries are discharged
i would not think it is a converter issue as you say in #1 you have 12 volt dc power when connected to a 120 vac power source.

#2 some of your 120 volt ac receptacles are not getting power. they could all be on the same circuit which is protected by circuit breakers, not fuses.
- flip the circuit breaker for this circuit off and back on to reset it.
- there may be a GFCI receptacle at the head of this circuit. if there is press the test and reset buttons.
- there may be a wire that has come loose in one of the receptacles. only way to know is to pull them and check. but try the circuit breaker and GFCI reset first.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestions.

Thanks,
Ty
TyReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Chickdoe forgot the reverse polarity fuses. These fuses protect your converter if the battery is connected backward. They are 30 or 40 amp fuses in your fuse panel or on the converter.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Site Team

A few more thoughts. If you are still using the original battery, it may be bad. The lights and water pump are 12VDC and use the battery when disconnected from shore power. Also check the resettable breaker under the frame near the hitch looks like photo below. It has a reset button on the end. A few non working AC outlets is usually a tripped GFCI as mentioned.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #6

No screws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post

- there may be a wire that has come loose in one of the receptacles. only way to know is to pull them and check. but try the circuit breaker and GFCI reset first.
There are NO terminal screws on the receptacles with the sometimes exception of the GFCI receptacle. RV receptacles look like Leviton Decora outlets from the front, but they are not. They are a two-piece construction that clamps over un-stripped NM (Romex) cable and pierces the insulation. No junction box is used. The clamp-on outlet is mounted directly in the wall.

Although they are often accused, I've followed FR forums for quite a while and no one has actually reported a failed insulation-displacement outlet.

Some GFCI outlets have terminal screws. Others simply have five pigtail leads.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post

#1: i am assuming you are running generator and are not connected to shore power. you turn generator off and lose everything. your battery should continue to supply 12 volt dc power to run things like lights, water pump, vent fans, heater, etc. the fact that these do not works says they are not getting battery power. there could be several reasons why:
- battery disconnect switch has batteries disconnected
- resetable 12 volt circuit breaker has tripped (will be near battery).
- batteries are discharged
i would not think it is a converter issue as you say in #1 you have 12 volt dc power when connected to a 120 vac power source.

#2 some of your 120 volt ac receptacles are not getting power. they could all be on the same circuit which is protected by circuit breakers, not fuses.
- flip the circuit breaker for this circuit off and back on to reset it.
- there may be a GFCI receptacle at the head of this circuit. if there is press the test and reset buttons.
DITTO
Well said You nailed this.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, trailer, travel, travel trailer