Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Power max BoonDocker 4 stage

These fit into a ailing wfco converter case and wondering if anyone has had any experience with these?

Desulfication mode and three year warranty.

Boondocker Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Install was an easy swap. One battery wire was short and I drilled another hole to route it. The "instructions" are non- existing but not hard to figure out. Take the whole converter base out and it fits right in.

As for use of the unit I have only been plugged in once to charge the new T-105 batteries then three days dry camping so can't comment to much about the charging/desulfurization.

Everything I read about about Best Converter and Randy has been positive and this was the unit he recommended to me. I was looking at a Progressive Dynamics unit but he recommended the PowerMax.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Power max 55 amp

I installed a Power Max 55 amp, 4 stage about 6 months ago. Great price and fits the WFCO without any mods. If I remember right, Randy said he gives a three year warranty on the units he sells.

I also installed a AGM series 31 battery from Sam's club. Great combo!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these when I "fixed" my WFCO.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

You guys that have installed the boondocker, sounds like you have just replaced the converter, not the whole converter-charging-DC wire terminals ect unit... correct? Has anyone done a complete converter/charging unit swap out?
fishingpolesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingpolesling View Post
You guys that have installed the boondocker, sounds like you have just replaced the converter, not the whole converter-charging-DC wire terminals ect unit... correct? Has anyone done a complete converter/charging unit swap out?
Converter is the only thing needing replaced.
Why change out the whole distribution center?
That would take hours!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

Turbs- that's what I thought too, but since I've never done it I'm not sure what the right answers are. Randy at best converters is saying switch out the whole thing. I'm sure that would be best with everything new but I see lots of opportunities for added problems of wiring ect coming up.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Switch out the converter.

If that doesn't solve your problem, have Randy switch out the DC side.

I'd think that wouldn't be a fun to do project.

Randy may be correct but I'd try to get out of more work if I can.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #9

I am using the Powermax Boondocker 100amp stand alone converter. I kept the WfCO distribution panel. I put the Boondocker right next to the batteries. I pulled the wfco converter right out of the bottom of the unit and put it away to reinstall if I sell or trade my 5er. The advantage being that it shortened the length of wires from 12 feet to about 12 inches. I also used 4awg instead of the 10awg the factory used. I used 2/0 wire to connect batteries together. The result is greatly lessened charge time. I use the 100amp unit because I have nearly 350 amp hours of battery capacity.
I also installed a trimetric 2030 to monitor charge and useage. This system is fantastic for boondocking. I can go days before needing to run a generator for only a few hours and I can always see the percent of charge and exactly how much power I'm using at any given moment. I have a 1000w inverter hooked in, supplied power by 2/0 cable.
Randy at Best converter is great to work with. I had a problem with the first boondocker I bought. Randy put me in touch with the owner of the manufacturer and he shipped me a brand new unit direct, no questions asked.
I used the same system in my Coachmen TT. Rear kitchen model with WFCO in the back and batteries out front on the tongue originally. Very poor performance. I never saw more than 13.8 volts at the battery from 30 feet of 10awg wire.. It would take days to charge up. I put the new system in the compartment next to the WFCO panel. I used AGM batteries and heavy wires. Fantastic performance. When I traded for the 5er I swapped the system into the 5er. I couldn't be happier.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic3 View Post
I am using the Powermax Boondocker 100amp stand alone converter. I kept the WfCO distribution panel. I put the Boondocker right next to the batteries. I pulled the wfco converter right out of the bottom of the unit and put it away to reinstall if I sell or trade my 5er. The advantage being that it shortened the length of wires from 12 feet to about 12 inches. I also used 4awg instead of the 10awg the factory used. I used 2/0 wire to connect batteries together. The result is greatly lessened charge time. I use the 100amp unit because I have nearly 350 amp hours of battery capacity.
I also installed a trimetric 2030 to monitor charge and useage. This system is fantastic for boondocking. I can go days before needing to run a generator for only a few hours and I can always see the percent of charge and exactly how much power I'm using at any given moment. I have a 1000w inverter hooked in, supplied power by 2/0 cable.
Randy at Best converter is great to work with. I had a problem with the first boondocker I bought. Randy put me in touch with the owner of the manufacturer and he shipped me a brand new unit direct, no questions asked.
I used the same system in my Coachmen TT. Rear kitchen model with WFCO in the back and batteries out front on the tongue originally. Very poor performance. I never saw more than 13.8 volts at the battery from 30 feet of 10awg wire.. It would take days to charge up. I put the new system in the compartment next to the WFCO panel. I used AGM batteries and heavy wires. Fantastic performance. When I traded for the 5er I swapped the system into the 5er. I couldn't be happier.
If you removed anything less then 70 amp to install your 100 amp you surely changed the incoming 110v converter wiring from 14 ga to 12ga right?
considering the 100 amp converter requires 20 amp service.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #11

One tip. The converter/charger swap is obviously important, but the wiring is just as important. Putting a replacement converter in your WFCO and keeping the LONG SKIMPY factory wiring will impede the ability of your new charger. You need the charger close to the batteries and use BIG wires.
That's why I bought the stand alone unit and moved it next to the batteries. I see 14.4 volts at the batteries now when charging. 4awg is about the largest that will fit into the WFCO distribution panel lugs. That's fine though because the wires that go from the batteries to the distribution panel don't need to be as big as the wires from the charger to the batteries.
Need proof? My system works extremely well and has for years now. That's all the proof I need.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
If you removed anything less then 70 amp to install your 100 amp you surely changed the incoming 110v converter wiring from 14 ga to 12ga right?
considering the 100 amp converter requires 20 amp service.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Absolutely. All 12ga wire in use. 12 ga used to supply the outlet to plug the boondocker into. On it's own 20amp breaker.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic3 View Post
Absolutely. All 12ga wire in use. 12 ga used to supply the outlet to plug the boondocker into. On it's own 20amp breaker.
I have a 100 amp deck mount as well but haven't installed yet as I'm doing another project .

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #14

I love mine. I recommend using the trimetric also. You get to see the percent of charge and usage. superb unit. Kind of tricky to install and program for me. I had help from my electrical engineer brother.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

Swapped out the converter only last night- plugged into shore power and had 13.28vdc at the batteries which is good. Sat and watched the converter for about 10 minutes, of which time the fan ran constantly while I noticed the neg 12vdc wire off the converter getting hotter and hotter. Eventually the lights started to dim and flicker a little so I unplugged from shore power.

Not sure why this happened but I guess I'll have to swap out the rest of the DC and AC breaker side of this converter change out...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Converter is the only thing needing replaced.
Why change out the whole distribution center?
That would take hours!
I have an old Elixir-45. The lower converter section is not a "slideout" like the WFCO unit, but still does not seem difficult to remove. But I don't know if the PowerMax replacement convertor will fit in my lower housing or not. Randy from BestConverter is recommending I install the Boondocker-60 "Powercenter", which includes the lower Powermax converter, and the upper distribution center, all in a new (plastic) housing. A direct replacement for the entire ELX-45.

I have my ELX-45 on my bench now, and am trying to convince myself that this is the way to go ($215) versus trying to pull the converter section only, and replacing with the Powermax convertor only (~$150). I've already removed all the wiring (and properly labeled each). So I suppose I should just replace the whole thing.

On a good note, my battery wiring is nice 6-ga. I was concerned about how much a very low battery could pull from a 60Amp unit. But from what little I've researched, I think the 6-gage covers it, right?

I think my only real question is whether my DC fuse board is compatible. I have seen PD "upgrade" kits that typically include a new DC fuse board.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power