Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #1

Power Outlet Failure

Hello,

I am a second owner of a Flagstaff V-lite 30WTBSK travel trailer. I have just bought it and started using it.

Unfortunately I didn’t get any manuals with the trailer.

I have just recently encountered an issue with the trailer and would really appreciate any help from you guys.

My brother has mistakenly connected the power source to a 220 generator instead of a 110.

A short circuit occurred, luckily everything works in the travel trailer (lights, ac, fridge, fans, stereo, satellite) except two items which are the TV and power sockets.

The tv basically got fried and smoke came out of it.

I then found out the all power supply sockets (power outlets) in the trailer are not working, I tried to locate the circuit breaker but I couldn’t know which one it is. I am trying to locate where the fault is.

i would appreciate if someone could tell me if they encountered this before and probable guide me to the circuit breaker and where they think the fault might be.

I would really appreciate this help from you guys.

I am currently in a camp ground and need to get my power sorted.

Unfortunately I am not located in the us so I can’t bring the trailer to any service facility.

Thanks

Saif
Smehairbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

You should call a Elect. but if you think you are safe with doing it yourself (Remove the working breaker for the A/C that you say is working and place in where the power outlets are needed. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smehairbi View Post
Hello,

My brother has mistakenly connected the power source to a 220 generator instead of a 110.

A short circuit occurred, luckily everything works in the travel trailer (lights, ac, fridge, fans, stereo, satellite) except two items which are the TV and power sockets.

This happens more times than you think. It's just a live and learn experience. Usually what happens, is the converter get's damaged (the converter is what takes 120 volt AC electricity and converts it to 12 volt DC power). Your lights, stereo, heater fan, fridge on DC, carbon monoxide detector.....all work off of DC power. They will still most likely work even if the converter is fried, because they are wired to your battery also, and this may be what they are getting power from currently. Your 12 volt powered things have fuses like a car.

The converter powers all the 12 volt stuff in your trailer, when you are plugged into a form of 120 volt shore power, instead of these things running off of the battery (which they do if you aren't plugged into shore power). The converters other function is to recharge your battery.

If the converter is fried (and this is sometimes a delayed effect), you are getting power for the 12 volt things from your battery now, and it's most likely not getting recharged either from the converter. You will eventually run out of battery power (your lights will go dim/off) and you will have to recharge your battery...which you can with a battery charger.

Your air conditioner, MICROWAVE (which you haven't stated), television, and 120 volt outlets all have to have direct 120 volt power to work (they aren't powered from the converter). The 120 volt powered things have circuit breakers like a house.

The TV, microwave, and converter are the things that usually get fried when this mistake happens.

The tv basically got fried and smoke came out of it.

I then found out the all power supply sockets (power outlets) in the trailer are not working, I tried to locate the circuit breaker but I couldn’t know which one it is. I am trying to locate where the fault is.

i would appreciate if someone could tell me if they encountered this before and probable guide me to the circuit breaker and where they think the fault might be.

You will probably find a circuit breaker or two tripped, which may get your 120 volt outlets back up. Since you hooked to a generator, depending on how it is wired, you may have tripped the gfci outlets in your trailer, so any outlet wired downstream will not work. After you check the circuit breakers, also check the gfci reset buttons on the outlets, especially the ones in the bathroom and kitchen area.

However the converter is most likely damaged, as well as the television, and microwave (if equipped).

I would really appreciate this help from you guys.

I am currently in a camp ground and need to get my power sorted.

Unfortunately I am not located in the us so I can’t bring the trailer to any service facility.

Thanks

Saif
Hope you get it all fixed, and you are one of the lucky sort, who don't incur too much damage.

P.S. Welcome to the forums. Just wish your introduction could have been under better circumstances.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Hope you get it all fixed, and you are one of the lucky sort, who don't incur too much damage.

P.S. Welcome to the forums. Just wish your introduction could have been under better circumstances.
Thanks.

That was really helpful.

Now i can say that i understood what got wrong.

I wouldve loved if it was a better introduction... Hahaha.

Literally this is my third day owning the trailer.

One other thing to point out to you, the tv did get fried however the microwave is fine and working fine. Do you have an idea why ??

Could you also guide me on where is the inverter located. I honestly dont have any manuals and the guy that sold me the the trailer doesnt have a clue. I bought this 2012 trailer from him 3 days ago. It basically had its original tags and the furniture was still wrapped up. Its kinda brand new. He never used it just parked it for a year.

Anyhow if you could help me with those two questions i will be grateful.

Thank you again.

Saif
Smehairbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Site Team

This is probably what you are looking for:

Don't pay attention to what the guy is saying, as he isn't correct on a few things. I just posted this to show what you are looking for. He confuses 12 volt and 120 volt stuff, as well as breakers vs fuses......as well as what's controlled by which.

Have you looked for an electrical box below/near the refrigerator. On my Flagstaff, it has a dark brown plastic panel just like in the video above, that you push the top of it in one time, to open it up. Your 120 volt breakers and 12 volt fuses will be there. Usually your converter is mounted at the bottom of this, which you have to remove the whole cover to access.

Quote:

Could you also guide me on where is the inverter located.
Anyhow if you could help me with those two questions i will be grateful.

Thank you again.

Saif
Just for terminology sake, a converter is not the same as an inverter.

A converter takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC. Basically all RV's have converters.

An inverter does the opposite. It takes 12 volt Dc and inverts it to 120 volt AC. You only usually find inverters in motorhomes.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

One other thing to point out to you, the tv did get fried however the microwave is fine and working fine. Do you have an idea why ??
We just say you are lucky and the microwave was spared.

The converter, TV, and microwave are what "usually' get fried.............but not always. Anything that is still good, we just be grateful for....and keep our fingers crossed.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Team

I went to Forest Rivers site to look at your particular trailer model. From the interior pics I saw there, it does indeed appear your electrical distribution panel is right under the refrigerator.

Tags
power