Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Power panel label question...

I have a Flagstaff 25BHS (2017) and I am wondering about some of the labels on the panel....

AC side:

Main
Refer
Micro
AC
Conv
Water Heater

These all seem self explanatory, but none of them are obvious for the GFI outlets in the trailer....??

DC side:

Porch - assuming exterior lights, amber and LED strip
S/O/Hitch - assuming slide out and power tongue jack
Bath - assuming lights and fan
Appli - assuming frig control board, maybe detector
Living - assuming main area lights
A/C - assuming furnace operation and most likely thermostat
Stereo - only have one... must be it
TV - assuming antenna on roof?

That seem correct? Am I overlooking something. I could go connect a lamp to a plug and start tripping breakers on the AC I suppose.

photo of my panel...

plpfromnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

Sounds good to me
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #3

Guess I am mostly wondering if there should be a breaker for the GFI outlets...

gonna have to go flip some switches I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Sounds good to me
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #4

right... so.....

plugged a small fan into each AC outlet in the trailer and flipped ac breakers until fan shut off. All of the AC plugs are on the "refer" breaker. I assume that the actual fridge is also on that breaker as the fridge is currently running on AC power.

Oddly, the "micro" breaker does not turn on and off the power to the microwave. The power to the microwave comes from the "water heater" breaker. I am just sincerely hoping they just labeled them wrong. The HW has not yet been dewinterized so I cannot test that yet. As of right now I have no clue what the "micro" breaker controls.

Good times, good times!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #5

Your receptacles are wired in one loop with the GFI normally in the bathroom. On my rig I split the receptacles into three circuits for better use. slide side and bedroom, bathroom and outside, kitchen. Just something to think about when your coffee pot and hair dryer trip the breaker
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

I think I will most certainly split them from the fridge and at least put them on their own 15 amp breaker. According to the kill-a-watt, the fridge takes 322 watts (give or take) when running on ac so that takes nearly 20% of the available output.

I do think I need to investigate further into its current setup though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Your receptacles are wired in one loop with the GFI normally in the bathroom. On my rig I split the receptacles into three circuits for better use. slide side and bedroom, bathroom and outside, kitchen. Just something to think about when your coffee pot and hair dryer trip the breaker
Old 04-19-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plpfromnb View Post
...The power to the microwave comes from the "water heater" breaker. I am just sincerely hoping they just labeled them wrong...
That would be interesting, but might not be the case. This is a little long, but bear with me. Actually you should hope that they labelled them right, although what the Micro breaker powers is anybody's guess.

It might be that the power to the microwave AND the hot water heater BOTH comes from that breaker labeled Water Heater. There is an issue that has been floating around this forum for a while about how some people constantly trip their 30 amp breaker when using air conditioning and about how some just don't ever seem to have the problem and get along fine. Most of the discussion revolves around making sure that the HWH is turned to propane when your running A/C on 30 amp shore power.

However, there is an obscure section (well its all kind of obscure) of the national electrical code that relates specifically to Recreational Vehicles and states that if you have 30 amp service and if the power panel powers more than two thermostatically controlled loads, there cannot be more than 5 load breakers. Thermostatically controlled loads include water heaters, air conditioners, refrigerators, etc. The one thing that all of these devices have in common is that they turn themselves on and off invisibly and you have no idea when and for how long.

Now from the images you posted, you have 30 amp service and only 5 load breakers. However, the WF8900 panel family supports up to 9 beakers which minus the main would be 8. Actually many of the brochures from WFCO say it only takes 5 while in other places it says 9! The reason for this is that WFCO cannot control how the manufacturer uses the panel, only what it can handle all by itself.

Now one would think that the code would limit them to 5 breakers since it is a 30 amp panel and why would they put extra knockouts for more breakers in the panel? However, there is a loophole and I think your TT might be using it. There is a unit available from Intellitec that can feed BOTH the microwave and the HWH from the same 15 amp breaker. What it does is sense how much power the microwave needs and if it needs more than 3 amps, it shuts down or "sheds" the HWH while you are heating your food and turns it back on 45 seconds after the microwave drops back down to clock and light only. For reference I have attached the spec to the unit.

If the AESS is installed on your TT it won't show in the specs or documents...it will just not ever seem to trip the main when you are using A/C on 30 amps! The best way to find out if you have one is to hook up to 30 amp shore run the A/C, AC Hot water and the microwave ALL AT THE SAME TIME. If it trips the main you don't have one but if it doesn't you do and you can forget using propane when its hot out!

Now, all of you guys who have added additional circuits for your outlets who don't have one of these things are technically in violation of the NEC. However, it isn't an actual fire hazard...it is more like a "protect the user from himself" nuisance main breaker tripping issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1453 AESS-intellitec-pdf-template-53-00714-000.pdf (359.3 KB, 73 views)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #8

That is very interesting indeed. I would have had no idea at all about that. I went looking for info on this in the Canadian Standards for RV vehicles and found this appendix in the CSA Z240 RV Series 14 standard....

30A rating, 2 pole, 3 wire:

Minimum supply wire - 10 AWG
Maximum Number of branch circuits: 8 (6 if any individual 20A rated branch circuits are provided)

I cannot copy the graph from the form I am reading. I am yet unable to find a reference to the thermostatically controlled part.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

There isn't a reference to the AESS in the Standard itself. I found this when somebody on the site asked what the black box was for and then went looking. Nobody seems to know if and when they are installed since FR doesn't seem interested to put it in the spec documents, but I know that they have used them.

Your saying that the HW breaker turned off the microwave brought that memory back.

2015 335DS
Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #10

i am wondering if that same requirement is also in the Canadian standards... I haven't been able to find in there yet. Just the reference that 30A can have 8 circuits unless one is 20A then max of 6.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #11

Well, those are CSA stickers on the breakers. Either way, FR is going to build to NEC specs. I also have heard that RIVA has their own specs but have never checked there. Might be interesting.

It is even hard to find a good on-line version of the NEC as well. There is some interesting stuff in their about RV parks though and how many sites MUST have 50 amp and how the 50 amp must be fed.

2015 335DS
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Guess I am mostly wondering if there should be a breaker for the GFI outlets...

gonna have to go flip some switches I guess!
No there will not be a separate breaker for the GFCI outlets and no need to be as the GFCI is built in to the outlet and will protect from there.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
No there will not be a separate breaker for the GFCI outlets and no need to be as the GFCI is built in to the outlet and will protect from there.

The power to the plugs has to come through the panel on one of the breakers. Was expecting to see one labeled as such.

I stopped out to a Vibe 272BHS we have for sale to look at the panel on that one and found this......

I suspect the Canadian dealership added the 6th breaker as it is a different one than the others. At least this one makes sense to me.

Still no idea what is sitting on my "micro" breaker in the 25BHS
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #14
MCTroy

Scottbrownstien thank you for answering a question we had about our camper. We have wondered how it "knew" we had the fireplace heater on and the microwave. It turns off the fireplace and leaves the microwave on but didn't trip a breaker. Makes sense now. Thanks!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #15

Conv Breaker

First time camper owner. We bought the 2021 Forest River Wolfpup 16BHS. It was used a few times prior to us purchasing it private party. What exactly is the CONV breaker for? I'm sure this is a silly question but we cannot figure this out. Thank you in advance.
fkwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Conv is for Converter. It's what converts 120volts AC into 12 volts DC to run lights, furnace , and other DC items.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #17

Thank you.
fkwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
I have a Flagstaff 25BHS (2017) and I am wondering about some of the labels on the panel....

DC side:

Porch - assuming exterior lights, amber and LED strip
S/O/Hitch - assuming slide out and power tongue jack
Bath - assuming lights and fan
Appli - assuming frig control board, maybe detector
Living - assuming main area lights
A/C - assuming furnace operation and most likely thermostat
Stereo - only have one... must be it
TV - assuming antenna on roof?
Just an FYI: The DC fuses you see in that panel are most likely only going to be for the lights. i.e. the S/O/Hitch does not control the slide out motor or tongue jack. It will control the lights in the slide out, and any landing lights. The tongue jack and slide out will have larger separate fuses or circuit breakers. These are usually on the frame near the front of the trailer. Crawl under there and look for a large 4x4 metal box... they will be in that area.

Also if you really curious I turn on all lights etc and pull one fuse at a time. You may be suprised what they control.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power