Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Power problem

We have a 2016 class C Forester. When we arrived at our current location, we discovered that the lights on one side of our camper will not turn on. Any ideas on what may cause it? What can I look for?
Sallyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Retired Marine

Did you check your fuses? Lights are generally d.c. and protected by d.c fuses.
FMcCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #3

The fuses all check out ok. And the circuit breakers as well.
Is it possible that a fuse looks ok but is still blocking the power?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyann View Post
The fuses all check out ok. And the circuit breakers as well.
Is it possible that a fuse looks ok but is still blocking the power?
YES
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #5

Quote:
We have a 2016 class C Forester. When we arrived at our current location, we discovered that the lights on one side of our camper will not turn on. Any ideas on what may cause it? What can I look for?
My trailer has a wall sw at the door and each light has a switch on it. both have to be on.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMcCue View Post
Did you check your fuses? Lights are generally d.c. and protected by d.c fuses.
Don’t have any masters switch. Only the battery bypass which always stays in on
Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Don’t have any masters switch. Only the battery bypass which always stays in on
FMcCue didn't ask about master switches. HE/She told you that some of your lightings is 12 volts and for you to check your 12-volt fuses which I agree with.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
FMcCue didn't ask about master switches. HE/She told you that some of your lightings is 12 volts and for you to check your 12-volt fuses which I agree with.
Cavie, Sallyann merely quoted the wrong post. You are the one who brought up a master switch concept when you wrote "My trailer has a wall sw at the door and each light has a switch on it. both have to be on. "

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #9

Power

We have further narrowed down our problem. It’s only the 12 volt lights that are off. They are only the ones on our slide-out. We got a “reverse polarity” message on our surge protector. I think this may have been caused by a faulty computer ac adapter.

Anybody have some suggestions about a cause or solution?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #10

In order to narrow it down to the main 12 volt supply, or just a branch circuit: If you have a water pump, does it work or not?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #11

FYI, if you have a WFCO Converter/charger, this is a link to troubleshooting info:

WFCO posts new Converter troubleshooting guides for technicians on its website | wfcoelectronics.com

You will need a small digital multimeter to run some of the tests. They are cheap at Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc. and a very basic tool of any RV.

Good video here:

https://youtu.be/1iHRESNMFAg

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #12

If all the lights on the slide are not functioning I would look closely at the fuses. Typically there are only a few circuits that feed everything on the slide. Also it is possible that the wiring going to the slide has become cut or disconneted. What model coach do you have, that info will help with the troubleshooting.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
Retired Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
If all the lights on the slide are not functioning I would look closely at the fuses. Typically there are only a few circuits that feed everything on the slide. Also it is possible that the wiring going to the slide has become cut or disconneted. What model coach do you have, that info will help with the troubleshooting.
Steve is on the right track. If your issue is limited to one part of the trailer (slide) you are more than likely dealing with a blown d.c. fuse or disconnected wire. Fuses might look ok, you can check them for continuity with a multimeter. If you can see the wiring harness for your slide, make sure none of the wiring has pulled lose.
FMcCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
We have further narrowed down our problem. It’s only the 12 volt lights that are off. They are only the ones on our slide-out. We got a “reverse polarity” message on our surge protector. I think this may have been caused by a faulty computer ac adapter.

Anybody have some suggestions about a cause or solution?
Check your pedestal. Reverse polarity will cause LEDs not to work. It won't bother any other ac lights or motors. It will kill GFI's
Old 02-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
In order to narrow it down to the main 12 volt supply, or just a branch circuit: If you have a water pump, does it work or not?
I’ll try that. Just have to put some water in the tank
Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I’ll try that. Just have to put some water in the tank
For this test, the pump doesn't need to move water; it just needs to run. If you can hear it, it's running.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Check your pedestal. Reverse polarity will cause LEDs not to work. It won't bother any other ac lights or motors. It will kill GFI's
Reverse polarity noted by the surge protector has nothing to do with the 12V LEDS. Two totally separate systems. If the only lights that do not operate are those in the slide, check the wire harness under the slide, occasionally some of the wires can get caught when opening and closing and break a wire. You might be able to see this by looking under the slide unless the bottom of the slide is enclosed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Reverse polarity noted by the surge protector has nothing to do with the 12V LEDS. Two totally separate systems. If the only lights that do not operate are those in the slide, check the wire harness under the slide, occasionally some of the wires can get caught when opening and closing and break a wire. You might be able to see this by looking under the slide unless the bottom of the slide is enclosed.
His surge protector is doing its job. It says "Reverse polarity". That means the pedestal is not wired correctly and he/she should not plug into it. Led lights will not work with reverse polarity. If the trailer is plugged into a faulty shore power that is why the LEDs won't light. Read my signature below this post. If he/she try's to use the GFI circuit it is gonna trip.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #19

Just to clarify, the reverse polarity at the pedestal affects the AC power subsystem. It is separated from the DC power subsystem by the converter. The LEDs operate on the 12v DC subsystem.

True, the LEDs will not operate w/reverse polarity- but it is DC reverse polarity that affects them.

AC reverse polarity does not cause DC reverse polarity.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Just to clarify, the reverse polarity at the pedestal affects the AC power subsystem. It is separated from the DC power subsystem by the converter. The LEDs operate on the 12v DC subsystem.

True, the LEDs will not operate w/reverse polarity- but it is DC reverse polarity that affects them.

AC reverse polarity does not cause DC reverse polarity.
Correct. "Reverse Polarity" on a 120 volt surge protector is actually a misnomer. AC has constantly switching (Alternating) polarity. The surge protector is indicating reversed "HOT" and "NEUTRAL" line of the shore power supply. It can indeed be a danger, and should be reported to the campground.

More info here:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey...e-Polarity.asp

Tags
power